evenweave or linen

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lacemaker2004

evenweave or linen

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi
I'm looking at a mirabilia letter project but want to do all three of my initials together. So I need to grid the fabic first which I've never done. I was wondering if anyone has used 18 count linen or 20 ct evenweave before and how it looks? Especially the linen. Does it look big and open? How about the 18 or 20 count evenweave? I don't like the grid look of aida so I'm concerned that this will look too boxey but on the other hand the 32 ct linen is going to be difficult to grid.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
Slinky

Re: evenweave or linen

Post by Slinky »

My carousel is on 32ct linen. The holes are not big and open, but the slub in the weave does make counting ahead tricky. It doesn't look at all boxy though as the HPI is so high.

You could grid it though. You'd have to concentrate more than with evenweave, but it's very do-able.

BTW I have just finished Nora Corbett's 'J' on evenweave. It should come back from the framers today so I'll post a pic, but I was happy with the way it looked on that fabric.

Doing all three of your initials together will look stunning!! Can't wait to see progress pics!
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Linen of a low count is likely to look more open, although it partly depends on which type of linen you get -- Permin/Wichelt is stiffer and more open, Zweigart is softer and les "holey". Zweigart do a 20ct linen called "Cork", available from Sew and So.
If you want a nice "full" look I'd go for an cotton-modal evenweave such as Jobelan, which besides the more usual 25, 28 and 32ct is also available as 16ct and 19ct from Tandem Cottage; Zweigart's Lugana fabrics (the 20ct is called Bellana) are also cotton-mix but have a slightly more open weave than Jobelan and are just a little stiffer. Zweigart's Jazlyn is as soft and full as Jobelan but I think only comes in 28ct and 32ct. Their Davosa is 18ct 100% cotton, a little less pliable than the cotton-mix ones.
Hope this helps!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

That's great Mabel. I've got some davosa in my stash. I'll dig it out and take a look
I'm also of course looking for all this in water lily....this could be a difficult task
I know
WIP:
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Ah, I hadn't realised it had to be a specific colour -- that may be difficult, as the less usual counts tend to come in far fewer colours. I do know that Jobelan 32ct comes in Waterlily -- perhaps over two? It would come to the same as 16ct, probably a bit bigger than you intended but it would look lovely and not a hole in sight :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
4blessings

Post by 4blessings »

I've nearly finished the letter 'N' bar a few more beads to put on for my daughter. I've stitched it on the recommended 32ct Waterlilly linen from Wichelt. If you look in my gallery you should be able to see a pic of what it looks like. I hope that helps.
Melanie
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I actually have the right sized waterlily in 32 in my stash and was planning on using it but just thought gridding the linen would be difficult. I may just stagger the letters and eyeball it. All three are slightly different sizes.

Do the letters stitch up fast?
WIP:
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

lacemaker2004 wrote:Do the letters stitch up fast?
Yes, the one letter I've done did stitch up fast - there's not much to it really :D

It's the beading which took a while.

Have had mine back. Will post pics soon ...
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011