OT about sending post to vulnerable people

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

OT about sending post to vulnerable people

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Recently in one of my FB groups someone said you shouldn't be sending letters or parcels to vulnerable people because Covid-19 can linger on surfaces and might infect them. I've been thinking about this because letters and parcels can be a great encouragement to people in isolation. Here's my conclusion.

Disclaimer: This is _not_ Government policy, I do _not_ work for the NHS, and I am _not_ an expert. This is just me applying common sense to the various bits of advice we've been getting over the past weeks. If you are an expert and think this is rubbish or dangerous, let me know and I'll remove it. For now here is Mabel's Unofficial Post Safety Protocol.

First thing to remember: Letters and parcels will not cough or sneeze on you. Even if the virus is on the envelope or packaging, it will not infect you unless you touch it and then touch your face _without washing your hands in between_.

Second thing to remember: Unless Royal Mail/the courier has been extremely quick, no-one will have touched what's inside the letter/parcel for at least 15 hours, and in most cases considerably more.

So pick up the post from the doormat and take it straight to a place where you can put it on an easy-to-clean surface (e.g. in a utility room). Open the letter/parcel, put the envelope/packaging down on the easy-to-clean surface but do _not_ put the contents down – take it to another, clean surface, preferably not plastic or stainless steel. (I realise there is a risk of cross-contamination in this step, but I would think it is very small; if possible, you can shake the contents from the opened packaging onto the clean surface – this would eliminate the risk altogether)

Get rid of all the envelopes/packaging, clean the surface they've been on and wash your hands thoroughly. If you want to make doubly sure it's safe, leave the post for an hour on the not-plastic-not-stainless-steel surface before picking it up. Then enjoy your letters, cards, purchases, presents and other encouraging items :-).
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Midge

Re: OT about sending post to vulnerable people

Post by Midge »

Good advice! We really need to keep the postal service, those letters and parcels mean everything right now.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Yes I agree! Plus nothing nicer than seeing the Hard Working Postie coming to the house with a Parcel! :D

I sent a parcel to my daughter last week, with tracking, and it has finally arrived in the UK :whoop:
It was in plastic covering so I guess that those wee virus 'germs' won't last long on that.
RosemaryD

Post by RosemaryD »

This sounds very sensible to me (also not an expert but used to be a vet so am not totally ignorant).

A couple of comments:

World Health Organisation advice is currently that the risk of spread through packages is very low. The viable viral load you would receive on a package through the post will be low if any and there is some suggestion that lower viral load = less severe disease.

It's unclear how long this particular coronavirus can survive on surfaces but may be up to several days so if one is very concerned and wishes to eliminate all risk then one should probably not accept anything into the house at all or use all possible precautions as Mabel suggests.

Goes without saying that if you or anyone else in the household has experienced any symptoms within previous 14 days you shouldn't be sending packages and certainly not to at-risk people.

Wash your hands and do not touch your face. Can't stress that last part enough, it gets in through eyes, nose and mouth so if you keep it away from there you won't get infected. Same for colds and flu.
Rosemary

WIPs
Blue Moon - Andy Russell
The Shore of the Turquoise Sea - Albert Bierstadt
Arabian Walled Garden - Chatelaine
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

wendywombat wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:34 pm It was in plastic covering so I guess that those wee virus 'germs' won't last long on that.
Wendy, a note of caution - the virus seems to linger longest on plastic and stainless steel, so a wipe with soap and water before handling, and hand-washing after, is a good idea. Otherwise, please wrap in paper, which seems to be one of the least "lingering" materials.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

As long as my daughter wipes the package with soap and water or disinfectant she'll be fine I think. I have already told her this.

It had to be sent in a plastic covering as the French PO system won't accept parcels wrapped in paper and I didn't have a box, which they will accept.

BUT I thank you for your timely warning! :hug:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This article on WebMD provides information on how long the virus lasts on a variety of different surfaces. I've been following a similar routine to what Mabel suggests. Opening packages outside, placing mail on a paper towel on a cleanable surface, etc etc. Once it becomes routine, it is pretty easy to do. And junk mail just goes straight to the recycle can. Which is most of what I get anyway.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

Useful information, thank you.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

We have taken up writing to my Parents-in-Law as well as my dad. Paper, and words on it, are so much less ephemeral than words on a phone or email/video. Takes more thought, and in many ways is more expressive.

We are putting a 'do not open before' date on the envelope of 72 hours after it was closed up. That way the recipient knows when the contents should be safe.

It also gives me an excuse to use my fountain pens - something I'm always looking for.

With our post at home, we leave it on the doorstep for 48 hrs before opening.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

If you have disposable gloves you can use that is also helpful in opening packages. I don't, but started using store brand sandwich bags which are pretty cheap and work well (in less you have large hands I suppose). Once I have opened the package (on the porch) or gotten the mail , and put the contents on a safe, cleanable surface, I remove the bags (turning them inside out as I do so the outside, which touched the package doesn't touch me and then wash my hands for the prescribed time and wash the surface with a cleanser, I scratch my nose which started itching immediately after I put the bags on my hands. :x

Anyone else feel like you're in a bad sci fi movie but no one has given you the script? I think I said this before, but it seems like it more every day. Maybe because it's starting to feel almost, and I emphasize almost, normal.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker