Magnifying Tools

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

catnip777

Magnifying Tools

Post by catnip777 »

After a very frustrating weekend of trying to begin a project on 36 ct, I have come to the awful realization that my 40 something eyes aren't as young as they used to be. I wear glasses and have for years, but they just aren't enough. So I need recommendations for a magnifying tool.

Currently, I stitch in hand, so a clamp tool wouldn't work. I've looked at those kinds that hang around your neck. Has anyone tried these? They look cumbersome and uncomfortable, but if they'll help me get back to my higher count stitching I'll try it.

I've noticed many of my UFO's are on higher count and I am sure my declining eyesight is the reason for this. I will also make my yearly appointment with the eye doctor!
catnip777

Re: Magnifying Tools

Post by catnip777 »

Of course, right after submit this post- I find another post with almost the exact question. I think I have found the right lamp for me- the Daylight LED floor/table lamp. I found it for $64 on Amazon- definitely think this will help!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

You are going to love it!

Carole
:whoop:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
meganh

Post by meganh »

:sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: it will be just like having your own personal sun!!!!
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote:You are going to love it!

Carole
:whoop:
I agree!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

catnip777 wrote:.....I've looked at those kinds that hang around your neck. Has anyone tried these? They look cumbersome and uncomfortable, but if they'll help me get back to my higher count stitching I'll try it. .....

It looks like you have found your answer, but I'll go ahead and answer your question anyway.

Yes, I use one of those magnifiers that hang around the neck -- but I don't hang it around my neck. I found that when I hung it around my neck, it was hard to keep in position. I'm really short-waisted and have an ample bust. When hung around my neck -- even with the string adjusted to be as short as it could be -- the magnifier stood on top of the shelf of my breasts. Everytime I moved my hand to stitch, my arm pressed against my breast and would rock the magnifier back and forth. It was really hard trying to look at what I was doing with the magnifier rocking back and forth in rhythm with my stitching hand -- and yes, it was quite comical, too. I found that if I loop the string around the back of my head and hook it over my ears, the magnifier stands on the top of my chest above my boobs. It stays in position that way no matter how I move. I was going to invest in a pricey magnifier, but wearing the one I have hooked over my ears, it's so sturdy that I decided I didn't need to spend that money.

WIP
catnip777

Post by catnip777 »

Allyn- Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it. I did consider those neck hanging types, but I have the feeling that my hand would be bumping into it. I'm hoping the one I'm going to order will work out well. If it will get me back to finishing my higher count projects, it will be worth it!

Anne
CeCe

Post by CeCe »

Anne if you come up with a different solution, I'm sure we would all love to hear about it. :) It's great to hear about different solutions people come up with for similar problems.
I don't work on as small a count as you do, but I do use an Ott light and I put on reading glasses (worn over my regular glasses- my sisters get quite a laugh over that). I find that woks well for me. I don't always need the reading glasses, the more light the less I need them. So, I think getting that floor/table lamp will be a big improvement for you.
grooviness

Post by grooviness »

I have one of these right now with the highest manification available and like it very much. Very economical.

http://www.amazon.com/MagEyes-Magnifier ... ds=mageyes" target="_blank

I wear them with the band kind of on the top of my head instead of across the forehead. I also wear glasses.

I intend to get these soon with my flex dollars. Pretty expensive but I think they'll be worth it. My dentist's partner always wore the ones designed for dentists and my dentist says he uses them when he needs to.

http://www.craftoptics.com" target="_blank
Tia

Post by Tia »

I have an Ott lamp but with the dark blue 18 ct. fabric I'm using now it just wasn't enough. I bought a lighted magnifying visor:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CD ... UTF8&psc=1

It's awesome! :wub: It comes with four magnifier lenses, 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x and 3x, but I only need the 1.5x. I can keep my glasses on with it just fine.