OT Lots happening, good and not so good

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

OT Lots happening, good and not so good

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hello all, sorry for the long radio silence, rather a lot has been going on. To start with the not so good, my mother was diagnosed with the return of her cancer. Lots of tests and referral to a university hospital and the good news is that they have finally located the source of the cancer (they didn't last time), and that it is in an area that she didn't previously have radiotherapy on, so cintrary to what they told her earlier they CAN give her treatment after all. Next week starts a cycle of hospital, operation, radiotherapy and chemotherapy which will last for 6 weeks. She is taking it as positively as can be expected, and feels very encouraged by many people praying for her and supporting her.

A much more pleasant reason for my absence here was our annual holiday, 9 days on the Outer Hebrides with DH's parents and eldest sister + husband. Rotten weather but beautiful scenery and we saw such a lot of interesting and impressive things, both natural and man-made. And MIL, three SILS and DH got together (by email in some cases) and got me a lovely Harris tweed jacket that I had seen and admired -- aren't they wonderful?

Since then we've been catching up with work, and there have been lots of church activities and friends coming to visit unexpectedly which is a great excuse to skive off work :-). Unfortunately I've also had a flare-up of my microscopic colitis, which makes me feel rather washed out and not up to a lot. Stitch-wise I'm mostly "finishing" at the moment, buttonholing all those Floral Lace squares, and sadly I'm also working on a sympathy card which will be needed soon for the mother of one of my best friends.

I'm still hoping to do the SAL next year but it is getting a bit tight seeing that we're almost half way through the year already :shock: ! I'll keep trying though; as long as I get them designed and stitched, I can write the chart packs month by month. We'll see whether it works out.

Off to see all the WIPs in the SAL section!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Rose

Re: OT Lots happening, good and not so good

Post by Rose »

I am so sorry to hear of the relapse of your mom's cancer but it does sound as if there is good news in there as well. I will add a prayer for her.

The coat is beautiful!!!!!!
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am also so sorry to hear of the relapse of your mom's cancer but it does seem that the doctors have been able to provide you with hope now that they have identified a proper treatment. Know that you and your family will be in my prayers too.

The coat is beautiful and clearly a loving gift. The colors look great on you.

I also want to say that though I am definitely one of the anxious to get another SAL (even if I have 3 months left to do :oops: ) there is no reason that it has to start in January if you are feeling pressure. I think if Joan Elliot can start an SAL in June, you could begin one in July. I am definitely of the opinion that one of your SALs is clearly better late than never!

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Sorry about your mom's illness.

Love that coat , colour is gorgeous.
Linda
mags

Post by mags »

Great to see you back again.
Sorry about your Mum but looks like they might have her fixed quickly. :x:
Really looking forward to your next SAL but please don't stress over it - as Carole suggests it needn't start in January.
Love that jacket.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

Sorry to hear about your mum, but it sounds like she's in good hands. I'll pray for her and for you that you get through this with strength and comfort.

Jacket looks good on you!!! :) Great colors.

Glad you got some holiday scheduled in there, too. Take care.

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
poppy

Post by poppy »

I am new. My name is Helene :)

What a beautiful, tailored jacket! Spring, autumn, early winter....I bet you will be able to wear it a lot.

It seems that your Mother is in good hand at the hospital, now that they know which treatment to give her.
I will say a prayer for her too.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

I'm so sorry that your mum is going through this again, but it sounds as though they've got to the bottom of it and can hopefully see it off for good. I will certainly include her in my prayers.

I love your jacket, very stylish and the colour really suits you.

As Carole says, better late with a SAL than not at all. Please don't stress about it, we'll be ready when you are :D
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Definitely :pray: for your dear Mum as well as the faily , for you a :hug: as your mum goes through all the procedures again hopefully this time will be the last and she can enjoy her remaining years in good health.

Just love the jacket and it sure is great to see you too.

As for the SAL I join with the others in saying better late than not at all. Please do not stress yourself over trying to start it in January, June/July or August will be fine.

I pray too that your colitis settles down again really quickly and lets you get on with all the finishing and other stitching needing doing. :lol:

Hang in there Mabel, we are all cheering you and your mum onwards.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Good to "see" you back Mabel.

So sorry to hear about your mum, but at lest they have found the source now and hopefully once she has overcome the chemo etc she'll be back to her best soon.

I hope your health picks up as well, no doubt the stress is getting to you!

Love the jacket, it's delightful.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I can only echo what others have said, wishing you Mum a speedy recovery, all my get well thoughts are on their way.

And the coat looks smashing!
Myst..
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Your mother is in good hands and in good heart, which is an excellent starting point. It will be a long six weeks, and you'll all be in my thoughts. No wonder you're feeling under the weather, too. Lots going on.

Sorry the weather was rubbish on your holiday, and you certainly will have been given rather more of a taste of the misty Isles than you might have wished, but that's often the way of it up here. Were you able to island hop a bit, or did you get to spend time in one place? The jacket is just your colours and looks lovely -- what a fabulous gift. You'll have it forever, you understand?

The SAL will take care it itself.

You really think you'll catch up here? :lol:
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I've missed seeing you here! I will pray for your mother.

Your jacket is beautiful!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde wrote:You really think you'll catch up here? :lol:
Not a hope :-D ! I'll just have to cherry-pick.

The weather didn't really matter that much; yes, of course it would have been nice to have a sun-drenched holiday but it was still beautiful. We stayed about ten miles outside Stornoway, and explored Lewis and Harris. SIL and FIL went on a day trip to St Kilda's, brave people, and unfortunately FIL was very seasick (and him a pilot in the war!) but they still thought it was very interesting. We saw so much that stayed in the mind, and the photographs simply don't do it justice. The light is incredible, even on rainy overcast days!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I am so so sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she gets through the treatment and will soon be on the mend. My thoughts are with you.
Your jacket looks great :D
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

It is so nice to see you back and you look awesome in your new jacket--love the colors!!!
So very sorry to hear about your mom and I'm sending lots of prayers and hugs your way :hug:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I echo everyone else in wishing your Mum a good outcome after her treatment. No wonder your 'problem' flared up as well. :hug: :hug:

I've been to the Northern Isles...Orkney and Shetland, bit not to the Hebrides. It sounds like a good trip, despite the sea sickness! :doh:
I :wub: :wub: your Jacket!!! The colours really suit you, and the style/fit is perfect. :applesauce: Lucky Girl!

A for the SAL...I think it can start any time which is best for you. :D
ayna

Post by ayna »

So sorry to hear about your Mum and also about the flare up of your problem - stress related? Good that you had a memorable holiday; at one time we had two friends living on Mull and were able to spend time up there exploring the island and some of its neighbours. I went back alone a couple of months after my mother died (rather suddenly) and spent a week wandering, thinking etc; very therapeutic and healing.

Your jacket is splendid and fits you so well: what a beautiful colour!

Take care of yourself, please dear Mabel.
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

So glad to see you around again Mabel. Very sorry to hear about your mom's relapse- but on the brightside they know what to do now! And I love the blues in the jacket!
agi

Post by agi »

Good to see you, Mabel. I really hope that the treatment works for your mum and she feels better soon.
:hug:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog