Spangoid's various bits - Small finish

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Spangoid

Spangoid's various bits - Small finish

Post by Spangoid »

So last week, I got this little mini kit. It was the first time I had done any stitching since I was a kid and instantly, I got addicted. This is the finished piece. I am going to see if I can find a mini frame tomorrow and give it as a little gift to my mum.

Before I even got half way through, I knew I needed to get some more kits! Thankfully one arrived this afternoon, but I am still waiting on another parcel which will have a few more in.

I have been working on it tonight while watching some TV - It is just so addicting! I am surprised at how much I got done. I used hair clips to keep the material under control. It worked better than I was expecting but I am waiting on them hoops to see if that will help. I have started around the nose area and all the "black" area does look black, but there is actually a very dark brown in it as well. I also haven't finished the bottom line yet.

I can not put it down! I have had to shut it in another room as its nearly midnight here and I just want to continue with it!

So yeah, I am gonna use this thread to post progress on this and the other kits when they arrive.
Last edited by Spangoid on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:19 am, edited 20 times in total.
msufly

Re: Spangoid's various bits

Post by msufly »

Nice work! So much fun to "re-discover" a hobby, isn't it? Looking forward to seeing your progress on the big cat and see whatever else you'll be working on.
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
Spangoid

Post by Spangoid »

I wouldn't say it was a hobby as a kid - My mum got me several sets and I done it for about 20 minutes and then just put it aside, never to be picked up again!

Thats why I was so shocked with how much I am enjoying it, I have the opposite problem now, I can't put it down! I was actually so disappointed when I finished the kitty one as I was walking around the place not having a clue what to do! Its like a drug or something! :lol:
Rose

Post by Rose »

The kitty is so sweet. I am glad that you are a stitching addict. We need all the members we can get..... :wink: But be assured it is a wonderful addiction and will not hurt anyone. All it does is fill the world with more beauty. So indulge all you want. :D :D :D
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Rose wrote:The kitty is so sweet. I am glad that you are a stitching addict. We need all the members we can get..... :wink: But be assured it is a wonderful addiction and will not hurt anyone. All it does is fill the world with more beauty. So indulge all you want. :D :D :D
I agree 100% with Rose!!! What a nice finished kitty and I love your new project too!! Great start on it!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Spangoid

Post by Spangoid »

Thanks!

It is very true. I do go through phases with different crafts, but I always come back to them. Right now however, everything else just seems boring, yet I normally enjoy them so much! I am glad however that I guess it is fairly cheap. £10 for this panther which should keep me busy for a few months! It is just amazing sitting there and each stitch you add, the picture comes more alive!

I was really worried that it would be too difficult but it seems like its all basic stitches. My only concern now is there is a load of sparkly and satin threads. Well not loads, but I would say about 20%. I haven't tried using them yet, but on the card, all the strands have already come apart at the ends! What I am concerned is how I am going to attach them. I pass the thread under some stitches on the back when starting/ending a thread, but with these, I feel if I do it the same that with how slippery they are, they will just slide out very easily. Do they slide out easy or would it be a better choice to use some knots for them?

I am concerned as well that somehow I have managed to get bits of the material dirty. I have seen many people saying that they wash it, but I am quite concerned about doing that. I am using DMC threads and as I said before, I am fastening them by running them under other threads. I am worried that either the colours will run or the threads will come undone. I am going to clean the fabric before I reach that area just in case the thread doesn't cover it completely. Also I am not too sure how to stop the edges from fraying like they do over time.

Sorry for all these questions, I am just finding myself confused about all these things! I have tried googling about stopping the edges fraying but the only answer that seemed like it would work to me was using a zig-zag pattern on a sewing machine around the edge but I don't have a sewing machine and have never used one.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Don't worry about DMC threads. They are colourfast, won't shrink, and if you've run threads under other threads, it won't come adrift. "Washing" doesn't mean hot with a 1600 rpm spin, though! :lol: Swishing through some gentle soap usually does the trick -- I think there's a whole thread devoted to washing stitching, so be sure to have a read. :wip:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Definitely an addiction which is habit forming....but totally harmless! :lol:

Except maybe to the bank balance! :doh:

Kitty is really nice and I love the black panther.

You seem to have settled in nicely to this! :applesauce:
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

Shocking how quickly this becomes addictive isn't it.

Love the little kitty and the panther is going to be lovely.

:applesauce: :applesauce:
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
stitch addicted

Post by stitch addicted »

Love the kitty!!
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

I love your little kitty and you've made a good start on the panther. :applesauce:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Love the kitty!! So adorable! :applesauce: :applesauce: And a great start on your panther! This may be one of the best and least dangerous addictions around (except for the part about getting more and more stash - though if you can stay out of debt and not become a complete hoarder that too is mostly harmless :roll: ). Though it is not the best way to keep the fabric from fraying, if you can't sew around it, there is a product called Fray Check which helps .:whispers:or the usually frowned upon, but it does work and I have done this more than once :oops: use masking or painter's tape around the edges. Don't let anyone know that this information came from me

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Great projects! You are off to a good start too :applesauce: :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

...whispers:or the usually frowned upon, but it does work and I have done this more than once :oops: use masking or painter's tape around the edges. Don't let anyone know that this information came from me

Carole
I chuckled when I read this, Carole. I used masking tape around a good sized stamped cross stitch many years ago. By the time I finished, I couldn't get some of the tape off. It caused the edges to fray, just trying to get it off! :roll:
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Lovely panther.

As Serinde says, DMC are colourfast so you should be able to wash the whole thing when you finish stitching.

To stop the fabric fraying, I normally oversew the edges by hand and that works well (although it can be a bit time consuming especially when you're eager to start a project)

Sparklly/metallic threads. The best way to secure these types of thread to the needle is to secure it with a knot. Here is a YouTube video which explains it very well and also gives a useful tip on how to make them easier to manage.

Also this tutorial by Scarlet Quince is excellent as gives lots of advice on anchoring techniques.

Hope this helps. :D
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
Spangoid

Post by Spangoid »

Thank you everyone fore the bits of advice! I shall be checking it all out very soon!
curly sue wrote:
...whispers:or the usually frowned upon, but it does work and I have done this more than once :oops: use masking or painter's tape around the edges. Don't let anyone know that this information came from me

Carole
I chuckled when I read this, Carole. I used masking tape around a good sized stamped cross stitch many years ago. By the time I finished, I couldn't get some of the tape off. It caused the edges to fray, just trying to get it off! :roll:
This is what I was concerned about when reading that! I think I may do it sometime if the edges will not be on show... Just leave the masking tape on! :D

For now, I have put the panther aside as I was looking at magazines and I found this magazine with 6 cards and 3 pictures that comes as a freebie with it. I had to buy it as a good friend of mine birthday is coming up at the beginning of next month and the pictures have her name written all over them! I am making her a card and if I have time, I will do one the pictures as well. There are some charts in the magazine that I really like so I may well get some bits together and make them in the future!

I am actually missing working on the panther :(
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I got addicted in the same way you did, and it amazed me the strength of the addiction. I had one little mouse loft design and it was a weekend and I couldn't get to the shop to buy more and was so itchy!!

It's great stitching for a newbie, well done, mine was awful!! Keep reading around here and you'll soon find things to help you and make stitching the most enjoyable and comfortable experience. You'll find things that make you wonder how you ever coped without them, and other things you soon find they don't work for you. But there are few rules in cross stitching and a plethora of different things to work on.

The leopard is lovely and I look forward to seeing more of your work :)

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Kezzy

Post by Kezzy »

Welcome and so glad you have "re-discovered" this hobby. I have got a sewing machine but I tend to just "hem" the edges by hand - I just turn the edges of the material and do a small running stitch and don't end up with any fraying problems.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project :dance:
2014 Finishes:
Wedding Sampler
Sepia German Shepherd

WIPs:
Castles in the Air - Parts 1-3 finished
Welsh Alphabet Sampler

Future Projects:
Hardanger Wedding Sampler
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

I really like the black jaguar/sunset! Nice progress too. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.
Spangoid

Post by Spangoid »

Well today has been rather interesting to say the least. Somehow managed to dislocate my knee in my sleep but thankfully managed to sort it myself. Had an appointment with my physio and apparently there is no splints that will stop it popping out of socket in my sleep. I find that hard to believe personally, but shall contact those who deal with me ankle splints - Yep, I have completely fallen apart!

Anyway after hospital, popped to shopping. The bearings on one the wheels of my wheelchair broke - Oh joys! Thankfully we were right outside halfords at the time and the man in there was fantastic! Then I finally got some shopping time in and I found this slate frame that I personally love in Sainsburys for less than £2! Was reduced from some silly price.

Picture of the kitty - I have just noticed something that appears to be sticky so I shall have to wash that off. Good job I thought I would post this tonight as I didn't notice no sticky marks! This also is not where it will be - I just took a quick picture of it hanging from my curtain tie-backs. I choose this thinking it would look really nice in the kitchen as the kitchen is all black and white and now I am seriously starting to ramble...

So yeah, ramble over eventually! Not too sure what happened there, but its a dangerous habit of mine!

Panther is still sitting behind my computer screen so it doesn't tempt me. I am about half finished with the card I am making. I couldn't do any stitches today which I am really frustrated about - Too many painkillers impairing my judgement and I don't wanna mess it all up! But I finally found a frame after looking everywhere for a small one. I have come across 2 frames now that stated 8cm by 8cm (the size I was after) when actually both measured just over 6cm, this one included but I think its the perfect size. So on that note, I will advise if you need a particular size frame, always measure before buying! It did look too small to me so I grabbed a ruler from the stationary section...

My mum will be going to pick up my parcel of goodies from the sorting office tomorrow so I will enjoy going through that as I have forgotten some of the things I have ordered! I would just check my email, but I thought it would be more fun having the surprise!

Right, rambles over and I mean it this time! :lol:

Edit - Now I have noticed that the material looks all strange down the edge. I have just looked at the frame and I obviously took the picture from some crazy unlucky angle!