Needle poke under fingernail

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

msufly

Needle poke under fingernail

Post by msufly »

Last night I stabbed my thumb under the nail while stitching after DD went to bed. It hurt but didn't draw blood. 9 hours later and my thumb is very tender but no redness indicating infection. It hurts a bit even when I'm not using it but gripping anything with it brings more pain. Man, I hope this doesn't last long because it's going to slow down my stitching! Luckily it's my right thumb and I'm lefthanded so I can cope with babying it for a bit.
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
BizzieLizzie

Re: Needle poke under fingernail

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Ouch! That must be very sore. :cry: At least it's your 'wrong' hand. :bandaid:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

ouch! I had that happening a few times! not fun :bandaid: :bandaid:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

I have done this a few times, it is not fun, but the pain goes away in a few days...
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:bandaid: :bandaid: ouch! I have done that too. It's like a paper cut. Very small but very painful. Like littleturtlegirl said, the pain shouldn't take too long to go away.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
3madspaniels

Post by 3madspaniels »

I did this before Christmas, and just assumed it would clear up by itself. I have never known anything as painful as this injury - I sometimes felt either faint or on the verge of tears when I knocked it. I eventually went to see the doctor after 4 weeks of suffering, and have strong antibiotics to clear up the infection. It was so swollen that I could barely bend my thumb which ended up being numb from the joint upwards, and I still cannot hold a pen correctly. A week on anti-biotics and it is starting to slowly get better, but is still quite painful.
Please don't suffer like I did, if it starts to get any worse go and see your doctor.

Luckily, it never stopped me stitching, although grasping the needle was sometimes a bit difficult! :roll:
Paula

WIP's
New York by Thea Gouverneur
HAED Fireside Companions
Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay »

Owie! Even if it didn't break the skin you might want to put some peroxide on it to clean it out. If you have drawing salve that works wonders on just about everything. Also, putting a band-aid on would also be a good idea, just to protect the area. Hope it's back to normal soon!
Blog

WIP - Magic Dragon (freebie chart)
WIP - Why Not!
WIP - A Whole Lotta Latte
WIP - Old Witch Mary
fccs

Post by fccs »

Ouch...been there done that. Sometimes I wrap a bandaid around it, not so tight as to cut off circulation but pretty snug. It kind of immobilizes the "boo boo" so it doesn't feel as much pressure when the finger is used.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Hope it feels better soon!!! I've done that a time or two and always rinse it out real good with hydrogen peroxide and then use methiolate or an antibiotic type of spray on it!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I was going to suggest giving it a good rinsing with peroxide. That area especially would be a good place for dirt and whatnot to get trapped and possibly cause an infection.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

Ouch! I do that all the time.

Just the other day I sliced my finger open while cooking and it's been a nightmare stitching, because it's just at the wrong spot.
WIP:
A Pair of Shoes - Van Gogh (10%)

Completed projects:
Sweet Dreams by Me to You - Tatty Teddy
Emerald Mermaid by Nora Corbett
Hoot Owls - Baby Sleeps Here
Angel Proclamation by Nora Corbett
Mini HAED Rose By Rachel Anderson
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Oh no, don't you just hate that when it happens. Done that a few times myself.
When I was grooming I used to get dog hairs under my nails, sooooo painful, they would work their way down so there was nothing to grab, had to wait until they would work themselves back out again,
Linda
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Have you had all your tetanus jabs?

It bloomin hurts sticking it under the nail. I do it quite often with wood or hay when I'm out.side with the horses, ow ow ow.

I do have a bit on my second finger where I often push the eye of the needle though my skin....

Get well soon, and please do take it to the Dr if it gets worse.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
msufly

Post by msufly »

Thanks everyone. It's already improving a bit and isn't as tender.

mauveme- I get dog hairs stuck in the skin of my feet during the summer at home (walking barefoot) and it really hurts!

Fizzbw- I've never gotten hay or wood splinters at the barn but it seems I always hurt myself when dealing with the horse trailer! Scrapes on hands or arms, hitting my head on the gooseneck, etc.
Kim

WIPs:
(And 14 more!)
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

:bandaid: that's really painfull (hence the torture technique of bamboo under the fingernails).

Finally someone else gets pet hair that sticks into the feet like pins. I keep telling my Mum what it is but she never believes me (she always insists I've just incidentally pulled whatever it was out as well as finding a hair stuck to, not in, her foot).
Myst..
msufly

Post by msufly »

Mystonique wrote::bandaid: that's really painfull (hence the torture technique of bamboo under the fingernails).

Finally someone else gets pet hair that sticks into the feet like pins. I keep telling my Mum what it is but she never believes me (she always insists I've just incidentally pulled whatever it was out as well as finding a hair stuck to, not in, her foot).
My husband doesn't believethat a dog hair can stick in my foot and cause pain either but the last time my parents visited, my mom got one stuck in her foot so it's not just me!
Kim

WIPs:
(And 14 more!)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

msufly wrote:
Mystonique wrote::bandaid: that's really painfull (hence the torture technique of bamboo under the fingernails).

My husband doesn't believethat a dog hair can stick in my foot and cause pain either but the last time my parents visited, my mom got one stuck in her foot so it's not just me!
I groomed 30 yrs and anywhere dog hair can get , it will. My doctor thought I was "shooting up" because of the hair in the crease of my arm, looked like needle sticks I had to pull out a hair to prove it...And I have had a hair in my foot too, excrutiating (wearing sandles didn't help) And lets not talk about the boobs :oops:
Linda