how much bigger should your material be ?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Borgessa

how much bigger should your material be ?

Post by Borgessa »

I've bought a cute little birth announcement digital file.

I've got my list of threads I need to buy. But I am wonder how much over hang is recommended I will be using Aida 16 count. I'm wondering if 3 inches all round is okay?

Pattern is 134" x 247"

design area for 14 count aida 9.71 " H x 18.21" H

I used the 123stitch fabric aida calculator, but put in 3 inches for xtra fabric on each side. Moved the count to 16 count = that calculates at 15"w and 22" h. Have I allowed enough ?

I don't want to screw up before I even make a stitch lol.
MaggieM1750

Re: how much bigger should your material be ?

Post by MaggieM1750 »

134 x 247 on 16 count = 8.4 x 15. 45 image size
Add 6" allowance = minimum fabric size of 14.5 x 21.5

Your math and my math matches.
You're good to go!
Borgessa

Post by Borgessa »

Phew thanks. I just placed my order for the threads. (Snicker oh my how my stash grows) I can't wait to start it!!
kiwirach

Post by kiwirach »

can i ask Borgessa, are you getting your supplies within NZ or are you sending overseas for them, with your reference to 123stitch, which i think is an american website.
i'm moving back to CHCH in nov and will be kitted up for a few projects, but wondering if i should get a bit more before i leave to save on postage to NZ!
my blog

WIP
Little House Neighbourhood - LHN
Borgessa

Post by Borgessa »

I do buy a lot that I can't easily source in NZ on 123stitch, the postage is expensive, but they deliver so fast. I bought Qsnaps from there, I can buy them here via the trader I mention later, and I will provide you with the URL - but honestly, she didn't have the size range, nor the extensions that 123stitch does. There is a huge difference in prices also. $40 bucks min for 6x6 qsnap, Was like less than 11 dollars USD for that on 123stitch. What I did pay through the nose for. Yup postage, and conversion. But it still worked out cheaper. (she also didn't have the size range that 123stitch does)

I have bought a few things on trade me and found a really good online source, in NZ through trade me. I've bought threads from them, and they arrived on my doorstep, lets see I ordered Wednesday night very late, was in the post Friday morning- so fast, from the south Island to Auckland.
I have been buying my floss from her, because so far, its the cheapest. $1.30 Nz a Skien, pretty good compared to 1.80, usually around 4 dollars for postage. IF you buy enough threads its worth having it delivered to your door step.

Not a great variety of things you can get, but I do like the floss price for NZ prices lol.
http://stitchnz.net/" target="_blank
Tea-lady

Post by Tea-lady »

Not sure if this is helpful to others or not, but I have just found a FREE App that does all the figuring for you :). You can pay 0.69p for no ads.

The app is called ... XStitchCalc

I have just used it to figure out the fabric for my new project.
You just fill in the blanks of what you want. Super Easy for a newbie.

WIP
" Love And Joy Come To You " ... ( Stoney Creek Collection, 1985 )
" Mice Sewing Set " ... By: Donna Vermillion Giampa ( Sudberry House, Leaflet #51 )

Finished
Beatrix Potter: Birth Sampler 1 ... ( Green Apple, Book 550 )
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

I'm looking for a app that tells me how much floss to buy. :tantrum:
My chart tell me I have 2,558 cross stitches in one color. How much floss is that???
Mr. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap.

Stop by my web site for free charts,
My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
Rick's Recipes for Singles
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Don't know if this will help you but I found this website How to Calculate Embroidery Floss Needed. I'm sure there are others if you do a search on "How much floss is needed for a cross stitch chart" or something similar.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
kinley626

Post by kinley626 »

I read somewhere that there are about 3600 stitches per skein. I don't remember the fabric count referred to there, so I use that number loosely. I am always worried about running out of floss.
Kinley Rose :rose:

WIP
Windswept (HAED)
French Country Kitchen Garden (Chatelaine)

A Place To Stitch