When/where do you stitch?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DahliaDoll

When/where do you stitch?

Post by DahliaDoll »

I'm curious as to when, where, and how long you spend stitching each day, week or month. Some of you seem to accomplish so much. I love to see your progress.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
DahliaDoll

Re: When/where do you stitch?

Post by DahliaDoll »

As for me, although I am retired, I rarely spend time during the day working on CCS unless we are at our lake place. Sometimes I work on a project while riding in the car. The majority of the time I spend on CCS is in the evenings while we are watching TV, and that can be several hours' worth. I have a good light over my spot on the couch!

乁( •_• )ㄏ
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

During the week I stitch in my car in the parking lot of a park over my lunch hour. If it's empty, I'll take over a table but it's a popular park, so I just stay in my car, open windows, pop in an audio book, kick my feet up and stitch away.

I don't get in much stitchy time at home.. some here and there.. my schedule seems to fill up with other things. I had lots of stitchy time last weekend but that's rare. I would say 8-10 hours in an average week.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am also retired and think I should be stitching way more than I do. Seems like something (probably on the computer with this and the HAED BB and one cat mystery forum) takes up my time. I should be able to get in 6 or more hours every day, but I probably average 3 to 4. I have my stitchy spot at the dining room table which has always been the center of activity in our house. I watch tv, dvds or listen to audiobooks while stitching. I have to admit I do stop now and then to play a few games on my iPad. In the winter I probably stitch a bit more, though I don't know that I am indoors more in the winter, just feels like it.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I'm retired through ill health and I spend, or I try to spend 8 hours a day stitching. Sometimes I do mor sometimes less, does depend on the pain levels. Stitching helps distract from the pain.

I stitch in my living room. Next week ill hopefully be stitching in hospital!! Don't know if I have a bed yet though.....

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
MnLtWspr

Post by MnLtWspr »

I don't have a set time of day or however long set time to stitch. I have been working on looking for a good spot to stitch lately and it seems in my bedroom on the bed is the most comfortable spot. The downside is there is no tv in there and no one to talk to. I stitch when I think about it and have the spare time to do so. Usually about 2 or three hrs in a day but not everyday, it varies.
At the ends of our lives, it is not the things we did that we regret, but the things we didn't do

WIPs-
Janlynn Mythical Dragon

Finished 2013-
Charity Square (Mystery Pattern!)
JamesDaniel

Post by JamesDaniel »

I get to stitch in my livingroom only when my baby is asleep and my household things are done... usually I need his morning nap to do the dishes/laundry, etc etc, and then his afternoon nap (2 hours usually) I get to stitch. I COULD pick it up again (and sometimes do) in the evening once he's asleep around 8pm, but I'm usually so tired I just don't!
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

I stitch somewhere between 25 and 30 hours a week, in the evenings while watching TV. My hubby goes to bed early as he's a baker and goes to work in the wee hours of the morning and my son is doing his own thing, so evenings are my own... So I stitch generally from 8 to 11 each evening during the week and until 3 or 4 in the morning on Friday and Saturday (can you tell I'm a night owl, lol)... I might get a few more hours in if the weather is bad and we're staying in to watch movies during the day on the weekends but there is too much work to do outside when the weather is nice, so I hardly ever stitch during the day.
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

My stitchy bug has been absent for awhile now...but it perked up when I found a Rooster cross stitch to put in to the kitchen of the house we're buying. That's given me the motivation to stitch (to get it done & in the kitchen) as well as something to DO with all my nervous energy while we've been going through the process (uhhhmmm---TORTURE) of buying a house.

eta: to answer your question--I find I get my best stitching done here at my computer desk in the mornings (east facing room & VERY BRIGHT in the Florida sun) but I also like to stitch in the evenings on the couch while DH watches history shows.
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I usually stitch in the mornings and evenings when I am not planning to go anywhere or errands to do. I stitch in 3 different places in the house, my bedroom, living room and the kitchen. It depends on the size of my stitching projects where I stitch. When traveling, I stitch in my RV.

socialsue :)
kouneli

Post by kouneli »

It depends. Since I'm a college student, it all depends on when my classes are. I haven't stitched lately, though. (Stitchy bug needs to come back.) I usually stitch at whatever time of the day in the recliner in the family room. By 10:30PM, I'm almost always upstairs on the computer or watching a movie.
WIP
UFO-"Thunder Ridge"

Completed in 2013
"Wondrous Works of God"
HAED- "QS Rainbow Valley"
"Butterfly and Daisies"
"Oriental Orchids"
"Tiger Chilling Out"
"Bless This Nest"
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

most evening for a few hours :)
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

Now that I have a stand, I like to stitch in the living room, preferrably on the couch. But if husband is watching a movie, I'll go to the computer room and watch tv shows on the big iMac.

I also stitch at work on my lunch break, in the car on long trips, and other random places. I have no idea how much I stitch in one week as it's been really sporadic lately. Now that I'm done with school and started an actual job, I expect my life will settle more into a routine, and I'll find some more regular stitching time.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay »

Husband passed away 3 years ago and now it's just the dog and me. I kick back on the couch as it's the most comfy place and I use a lap stand. I should get tons done but I'm great at wasting time, especially on the computer. Keep telling myself to get a schedule going so I can work up all the kits and charts I've been accumulating. I certainly have the time.
Blog

WIP - Magic Dragon (freebie chart)
WIP - Why Not!
WIP - A Whole Lotta Latte
WIP - Old Witch Mary
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

In the evenings, most evenings, in front if the tv after my little one has gone to bed.

So now usually but playing on internet and just debating whether to stitch or sort threads!!! Merging my threads from being in bobbin boxes for each WIP so that I just have one master set!!!
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Thanks for all the responses. I’d like to stitch more during the daytime, but I feel a little guilty for not doing the other things around the house that need to be done.
MaggieM1750 wrote:During the week I stitch in my car in the parking lot of a park over my lunch hour. If it's empty, I'll take over a table but it's a popular park, so I just stay in my car, open windows, pop in an audio book, kick my feet up and stitch away.
  • Sounds great! If it’s nice enough to be outside, I’d put a folding chair with a side table in the trunk and find a little spot of grass in the shade!

乁( •_• )ㄏ
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

While I've been looking for work I usually get about 6-8 hours in a day once I've done my applying for jobs. It's just something to make me feel like I have accomplished something and keeps me busy. Some days I don't feel like stitching though so I will end up designing those days or looking for new projects.

As for where I like to stitch...my family says I'm like Sheldon on the Big Bang theory. I have a spot and that's my spot. If someone sits in my spot I'm lost. When my brother came to visit for a week and slept on the couch I wondered around the house trying to find another spot to no avail. I'm pretty good at finding my spots to stitch within the first day of being somewhere new. Normally in front of the tv in a living room so I can watch crime shows and documentaries and still being able to interact with people.
calico

Post by calico »

I try to fit stitching in anytime or anywhere except in a public place. I don't know why but I don't like stitching around people I don't know. During my busy wintertime ( homeschooling and hockey season), I like to get up early and stitch to start my day or I will sit in my car and stitch while the boys are at practice. I like to stitch while a football or hockey game is on tv. I'll stitch a bit in the evening but most of the time I'm too tired at night. During the summer I will stitch whenever I can since I'm a SAHM.....I love to stitch outside but when inside I will stitch wherever my family is, tv room, kitchen table and if I do stitch at night I will stitch in my bed.
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

After cooking dinner of an evening, in the lounge room whilst watching tv, usually from 8:30pm to 9:30pm. No where near enough time.
Myst..
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Well that is complicated.
Okay I stitch at night after my son is in bed. If my sister is over, I stitch in the living room on the sofa while we watch tv.

If my husband is home, (works nights) then I stitch in the bed next to him as we watch tv or he plays his xbox. If he is recording music then I am in my stitchy area.

If its just me then I am in my stitchy area either listening to a audio book or watching netflix on my computer.

I generally "stitch" from about 10ish to 2am. I say "stitch" because I usually end up browing the internet, watching a few youtube videos browsing on here or get caught up in the tv shows.