WIP vs UFO

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mag327

WIP vs UFO

Post by mag327 »

Do you consider these two interchangeable or at what point does a WIP become a UFO?

I have projects that are sitting in my mind in WIP that I haven't touched in over a year, in theory, those should be UFO's I guess? but since I still have an intention of finishing them, I consider them a work in progress...

Have you ever started something and then totally given up on it with no desire to ever finish it? I have 2 at this point that were going to be gifts and never got anywhere near completion (one barely got started because my heart really wasn't in it). I have no other purpose for them and in turn no desire to ever even do them. Anyone had the same? What do you do with them? I'm kind of tired of storing them if I am not going to ever complete them.
Current WIP:
Mario Through the Ages
Lizzie Kate ABC's of Christmas

Most Recent Finishes:
Princes Sleeps
Home is ...
karen4bells

Re: WIP vs UFO

Post by karen4bells »

In my mine, a WIP turns into a UFO if I haven't stitched on it in over a year--means I have totally lost interest in it. I also have one project that I have totally lost interest in and has ended up as a permanent UFO---most of the time when something like that happens, I try and salvage what I can of the threads and fabric and use them for other projects
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Yes!
It was just this week that I gave myself the permission to give it up and bought new materials. And mine was also supposed to be a gift. It was a hardanger pillow that was 80% complete.. but ran into trouble with the fabric towards the end. Actually it was little troubles throughout the whole thing and I don't know how to fix it- I don't feel as though I can give it away, I don't want to progress any further because.. whats the point? I don't want it and I don't want to give it away.. so it will become a practice piece for cut work and filling stitches.

For me.. the difference between a UFO and a WIP is probably the desire to complete it. I have multiple projects on the go. And I have 2 WIP's that have been lingering in my stitch bag for a while now- but they are projects that I have claimed as mine. My projects always get kicked to the bottom of the list in favor of completing projects intended as gifts. So.. those two are WIP's in my head.. although some may consider them UFO's

In the spring I sent one of my UFO's to another forum member for her to finish. It was a Christmas stocking that was soooo close to being finished.. but an ex had picked out the pattern. I had been hanging on to it for probably 10 years but knew I would never finish it. So I sent it off to someone that wanted it and would finish it, along with the other matching stocking and tree skirt. Sent a 50% complete Pooh baby sampler to another forum member for her to finish. Couldn't tell you what baby it was started for.. and again, it was probaby 10 years old. I happily sent that off for someone else to finish- knowing that I never would.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I recall this was discussed at length a while back, but I can not find the thread for it. :roll:

To me a WIP is a project that you are working to finish even if it might have to sit for a bit and wait patiently.

A UFO is something that has lost any interest in you getting it finished and usually is out of sight out of mind. I don't think I have any of those as I am not the type to keep things I do not use. I will cut out what is still usable and throw the rest away.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I agree with Rose. I think a UFO is something you have given up on and do not really have plans to pick up again.

A WIP is something that I know I will work on again, just as soon as I get the chance. :) Since a lot of my current projects are gifts with deadlines, I'm trying to prioritize them. The ones whose deadlines are much further away are not getting much or any attention right now, but they will someday.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I have a couple that I put away and was planning to finish them but other projects keep jumping out to have me work on them. If there is a project that I just won't finish or I lost interest in them, then I usually post on board to ask if anyone want the project? That way, it ends up in another person's hand instead of in the wastebasket.

socialsue :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I agree with the others that a WIP is one that I am working on and intend to finish eventually. A UFO is not going to get done because I don't like it. I don't have many of those. And I also have what I call a 3rd category: on hold. Those are projects that I like and want to and hope to get back to but for right now I have moved them out of my rotation with plans to get back to them at some point. I would guess that a lot of stitchers would call those UFOs.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker