HAED - Kimono Lantern Mermaid QS - New Pics 5/28/14

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

NeedleAndFork

HAED - Kimono Lantern Mermaid QS - New Pics 5/28/14

Post by NeedleAndFork »

A few months ago (at the end of March I believe?) I started on my first HAED. Considering I hadn't really done any significant cross stitch since I was about 11, I figured I'd start with a QS.. I ended up picking out Kimono Lantern Mermaid - she's just so pretty.. and I've been working on her on and off since, taking short breaks inbetween for things like the baby announcement I designed for my nephew, and mental health breaks where I stich something monochrome for a few days because the 90 billion colors in the HAED are driving me nutso.

I have more pictures, but rather than link them all, I'll post a link to the album, and just start this post with where I'm up to currently..

Some fun pictures...
These flowers were my first real run in with super intense confetti.. At times there were 30 - 40 colors within a single 10x10 grid. :shock: Also, they're a great example of how when you're stitching individual colors may look out of place, since enlarged this big you can see each and every single color, but once you look at the whole picture (image above) the individual colors vanish and the whole emerges into something that just works!

My super messy parking madness...

I always wonder when I see pictures of others WIPS and even though they obviously park, they never have any thread hanging off the front of their work. Are they finishing all the parked threads before photographing? Not me! I start and finish my piece from the front as well, so I always have loads of thread all over the place. No harm, no foul.. Just use the tip of the needle to separate out the thread I am going to use next, and let the rest dangle.. when I reach threads that have been started/ended on the front, I just clip them and keep going. I figure it's a WIP and it's supposed to look like a disaster while I work! :lol:

Also - probably noticable - I don't stick strictly to 10x10 grids while stitching. Instead I follow the shape of what I'm working on so that I have similar colors while parking.. so I did each of those pink and white stripes as one section before moving to the next one. It just made more sense to me since I am less likely to end up with having just 1 stitch remaining of a color in the next column over if I were to strictly follow a 10 stitch wide column. Another perk is that because the edge of my stitching isn't a sharp vertical, I don't have an issue with visible vertical lines in my work as I stitch column after column. Though sometimes it can make me batty trying to figure out which direction to go in next. When that happens I just start working in a grid for a while and soon enough I end up starting to follow the shape of objects in the image again.

New pic - 7/20/13
New Pic - 9/5/13
New Pic 9/8/13
New Pic: 9/18/13
New Pic: 9/26/13
New Pic: 10/6/13

New Pic: 5/28/14
Last edited by NeedleAndFork on Thu May 29, 2014 6:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
bookknurd

Re: HAED - Kimono Lantern Mermaid QS

Post by bookknurd »

I don't park, but when I tried it, it looked pretty messy. That's one of the reasons I think I don't like it. My brain starts to focus on the mess of threads hanging everywhere and can't concentrate on stitching.

Great work so far!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Oh wow! I really like it! I have no desire (at the moment) to do a HEAD, I've looked through the site and couldn't find anything I really liked, however this one looks awesome! =)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Beautiful work!!!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

verajane wrote:I don't park, but when I tried it, it looked pretty messy. That's one of the reasons I think I don't like it. My brain starts to focus on the mess of threads hanging everywhere and can't concentrate on stitching.

Great work so far!
Ha, that sounds sooooooooo like me!!
As for the stitching, it looks wonderful!! Great progress on this and I can't wait to see your next update!! :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

She's looking beautiful, great job!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Such beautiful work :applesauce: :applesauce: :wub:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
works4me

Post by works4me »

Wonderful progress. Well done.

I work in 20x20 blocks but, if a colour bleeds into the next area, I will stitch out of my current block as you do.

I'm looking forward to future updates.
HAED Mind if I Hang Out -Page 17/36 finished. ?/154,350 stitches
Hang In There - finished, waiting for a decision on framing or turning into a mini quilt
Universal Monsters - finished, waiting in line to frame
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: Beautiful progress on a beautiful design. What you said about the colors in the flowers all of a sudden coming together is what I love about HAEDs in particular. I'm sure it happens with other designers also, but I don't ever remember having quite the WOW It really looks like a cat face or a lace bonnet or the writing on the spine of a book or the beautiful flowers in a mermaid's hair. You are doing a lovely job and I am looking forward to your next update.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

verajane wrote:I don't park, but when I tried it, it looked pretty messy. That's one of the reasons I think I don't like it. My brain starts to focus on the mess of threads hanging everywhere and can't concentrate on stitching.

Great work so far!
I seem to live my entire life in semi-organized chaos... so of course this method of stitching is perfect for me! There's madness there for sure with all the tails hanging all over the place, but there's a method to the madness. On the other hand, I am meticulously organized with my floss, making floss cards for each project, etc. So I tend to go overboard where going overboard helps, and just let everything else go with the flow.

On a funny note - my mom watched me stitch for a while.. on a single color piece where I had my tails started and ended on the front too - it was easier for me to just keep going and weave them all at once so I didn't break out of my zone. She couldn't take it.. it was making her twitchy just to see the tails on MY work!!

I'm having fun with this piece but unfortunately she's put away until monday.. I'm headed out of town and she's not a good travel companion.

NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

rcperryls wrote::applesauce: Beautiful progress on a beautiful design. What you said about the colors in the flowers all of a sudden coming together is what I love about HAEDs in particular. I'm sure it happens with other designers also, but I don't ever remember having quite the WOW It really looks like a cat face or a lace bonnet or the writing on the spine of a book or the beautiful flowers in a mermaid's hair. You are doing a lovely job and I am looking forward to your next update.

Carole
:dance:

Yup.. I have a bit of experience in computer graphics, and so I'm familiar with how an image can have colors that look completely out of place on a pixel level that fit in fine once you zoom out and look at the whole. That is what appealed to me about the HAED designs and got me interested in cross stitch again. Most patterns out there look so flat and blocky that I had no real interest in cross stitch for years!

thisisadiana

Post by thisisadiana »

Beautiful work.

Otherwise...

Did you stitch the numbers down the side?? Respect.
marym

Post by marym »

Beautiful!

Mary
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Wow! I really like this one. Your work looks excellent, and yes, as thisisadiana mentioned, you stitched the count on the side? dude...
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Stunning stitching and design! :applesauce: :applesauce:

When I used parking I had threads all over the place as well!
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

thisisadiana wrote: Otherwise...

Did you stitch the numbers down the side?? Respect.
LOL! Yup, I did. I was working on the numbers for my birth announcement I was designing.. so I went with it!

nasreen

Post by nasreen »

What a wonderful design. I love geisha's and mermaids and the colour pallet is so pretty. I cannot wait to see it when it is done.
AriannaF

Post by AriannaF »

She looks really beautiful! :wub: Great job! :D
calico

Post by calico »

Beautiful start! :wub:
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird