Anchor to DMC conversion que?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Fizzbw

Anchor to DMC conversion que?

Post by Fizzbw »

HIya,

I'm sorting out a new project for the future (but not too far!) its the Regency summer ball which was published in 3 consequent mags in 2006. It's done in Anchor however, and I don't like Anchor threads much - so I'd prefer to do it in DMC.

So how different DOES it look from the test one in the mag?? I don't want to spoil a big project like this, but again I want to enjoy stitching it!! If its going to be a lot different I can do it in Anchor, but as I have a decent stash of DMC it would be cheaper to do it with DMC.

Sorry for the ramble, I've never done any conversion stuff before!

Has anyone else tried this one? I'm a massive Heyer fan so this is a dream for me!

Cheers

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
koko

Re: Anchor to DMC conversion que?

Post by koko »

I can't ever see a difference between the main brands of floss (DMC, Anchor, J&P Coates). I think it will be fine with either type. The only time I see a difference is if you substitute DMC or Anchor for a specialty brand like Weeks or Gentle Art - that will change the finished product a lot!
Kim

2011 Projects:

Current:
Floral Hand-Towels
Various Christmas Cards / Presents

Long-Term WIP's:
Chatelaine Hummingbird Mandala
Dunnotar Castle - 23,718 of 60,368 stitches
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have found that the two main brands are very close. Anchor may be just a touch subdued with some of its colors but not a giant difference. It should look very close to the mag design model.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I always change Anchor colour numbers to DMC as some of them there is a a fair difference - but its not often. I agree with Rose Anchor seems to be just that bit more subdued which doesn't always go with what I want to see in the finished project.

I picked up a conversion chart at my local quilt shop which also stocked DMC threads. I also managed to get a conversion chart to change Dimensions numbers to DMC numbers using Google.

If you have a problem finding a conversion chart Anchor to DMC PM me and I will send you a copy of what I have here. You can often get one from an embroidery shop too.
Squirrel
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Thank you guys! The mag has the DMC conversion listed, but they always warn it will look different and I wondered how much! I'm glad the colours will be less subdued as for this project the brighter the better!

Many thanks

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Angel

Post by Angel »

I did an anchor chart in DMC and if you get a good conversion it doesn't look much different at all. But my advice is to use your eye and if it starts to look wrong, stop and rethink your conversion.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I agree with Angel, and if at all possible, try to compare the colours between the brands. There are some colours that do not come out exactly the same. (I have both Anchor and DMC, plus those shade cards).
alinna

Post by alinna »

If the chart's been released since 2006 it might be worth a google search to see if anyone else has tried to stitch this chart using the DMC conversion.