FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Re: FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'm afraid I'm firmly on the side of make your own fireworks display, I greatly enjoy watching it (see my description of New Year's Eve in Holland) -- my only niggling doubt is the sheer amount of money spent on it, which my conscience tells me could be used much better.

As for the objections -- I've seen the burns people (especially children) get, yes, there are sadistic little brutes who torture pets with fireworks, and yes it's a disgrace that parents buy (sometimes illegal) fieworks for children just to play with.... but...

children who tie fireworks to pets are not likely to treat them any better when there is no fireworks around -- they'll just find different means; getting burnt by fireworks usually means you didn't use it properly, and telling people how to use fireworks responsibly could solve that; and irresponsible parents will very likely end up hurting their children, or allowing them to hurt themselves, with other things like knives, scissors, needles, matches or any of those other things in our daily lives that need to be used responsibly. Why single out fireworks?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Some of the problem pet owners face, is the fact that the letting off of fireworks is not confined to one night, we have had many in the area for about a week now, not just the odd rocket or banger, some very lengthy sessions.
Tonight is the town's main display, our town is only 3miles across , so the display only 1 1/2 miles from anywhere in town, most fireworks are still very loud at that distance,and they always end with some huge ones, they shake the windows when they go off. also, many people are having weekend firework parties, so it all goes mad again then.
The lady living next door to my Daughter has a dog that has become a wreck this week, she has had to get her put on something to calm her down, even taking her for a walk has resulted in terror for the poor animal, with people just letting off random ones, they have been going off at all hours,
I do question the ever growing size of fireworks on sale to the general public, (some of them need to be further away from houses than the average garden size) it does make you wonder at the wisdom in that.
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

There have been a lot of good points made on both sides of this debate.

Yes, fireworks displays are beautiful, but can be expensive if you don't take your own food along with you.

Yes, private firework parties in the garden are great fun, you can get back into the warm quickly, the food is cheaper and more readily accessible - to say nothing of being able to bake your own potatoes in the fire embers! Yum!

Yes, bonfires and fireworks are a hazard to domestic animals and wildlife. So?

Yes, people should ensure their animals are safe indoors and sedated if need be.

Yes, bonfires are fun, BUT they should not be built until late on the day of the bonfire.

Yes, there are many other things, besides fireworks, that can harm animals and children, when in the hands of irresponsible people. And people who are going to deliberately harm animals are going to find the means to do so anyway - fireworks are just one more tool for them to use. So that's ok then, isn't it?

Yes, we want to ensure that irresponsible people don't find it easy to obtain fireworks - BUT the easiest way to ensure that is only to hold public displays and not sell fireworks to anyone else.

But, no, we don't want the state to tell us what to do in every minor matter of our lives, and we don't want legislation limiting the sale/use of fireworks, even if that means that every year animals, children and aduls are killed, maimed or disfigured for life - after all, does it matter that much in the long run, so long as we are free to please ourselves? Freedom is everything, yes?

Ok, why do I have such strong feelings?

Personal experience.

Yes, I know. I shouldn't let personal experience get in the way of other people's freedoms. I know that. I know many people are very responsible and can safely have fun with fireworks.

But, on the other hand, should your freedom to have fun with fireworks interfere with the freedom of others, including animals, not to be terrified or injured or killed by the many irresponsible people who use their freedom to deliberately, or ignorantly, cause harm to others?

That's the question: Is it better to keep our freedom regardless of any harm that may ensue? Or is it better to legislate against our freedom in order to limit the yearly toll of firework injury?
How would you feel if it were your pet or your child who was killed or disfigured or maimed?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

Normally it's like Iraq around us on bonfire night but this year it was quieter - bad weather or lack of cash, I don't know.

Our cat never bothered with them but my niece has to sedate her dog at this time of the year.

Paula xx
Mabel Figworthy

Fljotsdale, I agree that my enjoyment of a freedom is not as important as it harming others. However, the question with this as with so many things is, where do you stop? Cars kill lots of people, especially cars driven by irresponsible drivers -- and it might be one of my loved ones who gets killed or maimed, and that would break my heart -- but I don't think we ought to ban cars. The trouble with much legislation is that it seems to make people think that they have no more personal responsibility, as the state is looking after it. For example, they found that when on certain twon roads they took away most of the "safety measures" (like barriers, Belisha beacons, speed limits etc) the drivers actually drove more carefully. So I'm afraid I haven't worked this one out yet.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Fljotsdale, I agree that my enjoyment of a freedom is not as important as it harming others. However, the question with this as with so many things is, where do you stop? Cars kill lots of people, especially cars driven by irresponsible drivers -- and it might be one of my loved ones who gets killed or maimed, and that would break my heart -- but I don't think we ought to ban cars. The trouble with much legislation is that it seems to make people think that they have no more personal responsibility, as the state is looking after it. For example, they found that when on certain twon roads they took away most of the "safety measures" (like barriers, Belisha beacons, speed limits etc) the drivers actually drove more carefully. So I'm afraid I haven't worked this one out yet.
Yes, I understand your point of view, Mabel; and in many ways I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't drive myself - though I used to ride a light motor bike which is much more hazardous than driving a car! - but it would be impossible to ban cars! (Not that I wouldn't like to, mind! :lol: I think we should have better public transport instead, but that's just a hobby-horse of mine). I am always nervous in case my son or younger daughter are involved in an accident, and I am very careful about holding my youngest grandson's hand and only crossing at the green lights, etc...

We live in a dangerous world, and there is no way of changing that. And in fact, if it were too safe we would just become vegetables, probably. Though maybe not... we might have time to actually enjoy life more... who knows? :wink: :D

BUT... something like fireworks... well, it's an unnecessary hazard, isn't it, to allow fireworks in the hands of anyone who fancies letting them off to the danger of others?
Public firework displays are not so homely and cosy and fun as home bonfire parties - and there can be disasters even at public displays - but it would cut down drastically on most of the harm done by fireworks, imo.

But I don't suppose we will agree! So let's just agree to disagree, in friendship. :D

Cohen's son, Adam.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Dawn wrote:
Angel wrote: I do think there should be tighter restrictions on who people sell fireworks to. Why shops still sell to children is beyond me and it makes me really angry, but I see nothing wrong with adults buying them and putting on safe shows for their children.
Shops don't sell fireworks to children adults buy fireworks for children you need to be 18 and have valid id in some places to be able to purchase fireworks.
And by that logic kids can't buy cigerettes or alcohol either >_< They're not supposed to but they still do
nicgoss

Post by nicgoss »

Jilly wrote:Some of the problem pet owners face, is the fact that the letting off of fireworks is not confined to one night, we have had many in the area for about a week now, not just the odd rocket or banger, some very lengthy sessions.
Tonight is the town's main display, our town is only 3miles across , so the display only 1 1/2 miles from anywhere in town, most fireworks are still very loud at that distance,and they always end with some huge ones, they shake the windows when they go off. also, many people are having weekend firework parties, so it all goes mad again then.
The lady living next door to my Daughter has a dog that has become a wreck this week, she has had to get her put on something to calm her down, even taking her for a walk has resulted in terror for the poor animal, with people just letting off random ones, they have been going off at all hours,
I do question the ever growing size of fireworks on sale to the general public, (some of them need to be further away from houses than the average garden size) it does make you wonder at the wisdom in that.
Totally agree with you Jilly.

I dread fireworks every year because my dog Millie becomes a nervous wreck and it absolutely breaks my heart to see her in such a state. If it was just 5th November that it happened you could almost deal with it, but its a week before and a week after and its becoming ridicous!

She has perforated eardrums too which doesn't help! Kind of makes me mad that people don't think of these poor animals! :cry: :cry:
Nic x

-----------------
Work in Progress

HAED 'Yes'
HAED 'Ballerina Sisters
HAED 'Swans Song'
HAED 'Shh'
Mystic Stitch 'Dawn's Song'
New York @ Night
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Angel wrote:
Dawn wrote:
Angel wrote: I do think there should be tighter restrictions on who people sell fireworks to. Why shops still sell to children is beyond me and it makes me really angry, but I see nothing wrong with adults buying them and putting on safe shows for their children.
Shops don't sell fireworks to children adults buy fireworks for children you need to be 18 and have valid id in some places to be able to purchase fireworks.
And by that logic kids can't buy cigerettes or alcohol either >_< They're not supposed to but they still do
I'm not disputing what you say all I'm saying is that 90% of the time it is the grown up that buy the fireworks as any shop owner worth his salt value's his livelyhood which is what he'd end up loosing where he know to sell things such as fireworks/cigerettes/alcohol to minors!
Mabel Figworthy

Fljotsdale, I'm all for amicably agreeing to disagree on this :-) -- and I promise that if I ever let off fireworks and if I ever learn to drive I will do my very best to be responsible at both!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Fljotsdale, I'm all for amicably agreeing to disagree on this :-) -- and I promise that if I ever let off fireworks and if I ever learn to drive I will do my very best to be responsible at both!
I am quite sure you will, Mabel! I have the feeling you are a very responsible person. :D

Cohen's son, Adam.
Flan

Post by Flan »

I saw an horrific injury at an organised bonfire event, when I volunteered for St John's Ambulance a few years ago - I don't think it reduces the risk, just allowing sales for organised events. Like Angel pointed out - kids can get hold of alcohol and cigarettes, knives, guns and drugs - what's to stop them getting hold of fireworks?

When we bought our own fireworks for a friend's fireworks party, it was done for the children. It was done safely (one of the people there works for the Fire Brigade!) and responsibly. I had my stepchildren close by me at all times. The organised fireworks night I went to last year, resulted in spending £50+ on food/drinks for our family, and my husband being pickpocketed. Not to mention the crowds of foul mouthed idiots who were there to get drunk and cause a nuisance.

We had a lot of fireworks set off before bonfire night - there is a large Hindu community nearby, and they celebrate Diwalli with fireworks (it is the festival of light, after all). Surely if fireworks are sold for just bonfire night, then Diwalli would need consideration too?

All things in moderation! I don't think we need to ban fireworks.