2020 Stash & Grab (our virtual pub)

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Re: 2020 Stash & Grab (our virtual pub)

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

He's happy to use his glowing horn if Rudolph's nose is out of order
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I am convinced that several puffins flew in from the Atlantic with their beaks painted in dayglow colours ( they had to do that as their beaks are only coloured in summer) and carrying tinsel to decorate the tree house. They have help from the mountain gorillas too.

Mince pies anyone? They go so well with the cinnamon cream. I remembered the French macaroons too that I brought over.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sounds grand. I've spent the day making spritz, chocolate cookies, gingerbread men and cinnamon raisin bars (which only need their icing). I'm bushed. Sitting with a :coffee: , can't face a :cake: . Just need to ice the two Christmas cakes..., but that's not hard. Just wish I'd taken the icing out of the pantry... so have to wait until it comes to room temp. Did I mention that all of this has been done with a new oven...? :anotherfrog: Discovered most recipes need 20ºC taken off the temperatures; 10ºC isn't enough (just ask the spritz). :oops:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I got worn out just thinking about all you had done, but baking with a new oven has to be fun (once you figure out what the right temps are for individual recipes). I'm willing to bet that your house smells wonderful!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

I heard something about someone reaching 4000 posts. Maybe I could pay one cup of hot chocolate for him to celebrate his achievement, if he accepts it. I am not sure if he is a chocolate man at all. I mean I do not know if he likes more coffee or chocolate. If you ask my own opinion, I like chocolate. Coffee... I do not drink it, I can eat ice cream that has been spiced with a tiny splosh of coffee.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

I hate to sound ungrateful, but I need to unload to people who would understand.
We have secret Santa at work, and although I don’t feel like celebrating, I’m happy to partake for a team event. This year was different because of the distance, someone set up an online wish list - so I put in some cross stitch books because with the set amount, you couldn’t buy a kit. But I’m happy with that because I had some books in mind that are on my wish-list anyway.

So I received my present, and it was one of those diamond 5D cross stitch kits, with a really poor scale sized image - and not within their copyright I'm sure.
It won’t be wasted, I’ll give it to charity. But just annoyed they didn’t go with the wish list of choice and decided on this item instead.

And I don’t have the heart to ask who it was so I can let them know. Do I just pretend I loved it? What do I say if someone asks me what I thought about it?

And can I just say, why is this 5D diamond crystal printing blah blah being marketed as cross stitch it’s so confusing 😫

Ok done, I’m having a hot chocolate with mint syrup to sooth myself

Serinde, that food sounds awesome, I wish I could help you with some taste testing 😂
🦉
WIP:
The Great Wave 🌊 - DMC British Museum
Christmas Stitch-a-long - Cross Stitcher magazine Part 2
2020 Complete:
Baby balloon- DMC
Thank you Floral card - The World of Cross Stitching Sep 2017
Yellow rose - Hobbycraft
Legend of the sea
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

If asked about the "gift", I would just say the truth, that the charity shop has it and now it is its problem when to bin it - this week or in a couple of months, and explain why. And in the future I would never participate in any "games" with the people who can behave with such a disrespect. But then it is your life, your work, your colleagues, so it is up to you to decide. And no, it was not the matter of their knowing nothing about cross stitch. I see no need to pretend that you are "grateful" as being sweet in this case would mislead them. Some problems arise simply because people are shy/afraid/lazy to tell somebody the truth.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Think of it as a long-distance Secret Santa? Someone, somewhere will be surprised and thrilled to find it... it just wasn't you. Just say thank you (if only standing in for that person who will eventually be surprised and thrilled) and leave it at that. At least the 'thank yous' will also be at a distance and not face to face! Have two hot chocolates with mint syrup...

Today is stitchindude's birthday, for those who remember his jolly riddles. He hasn't been here for a long time, and I do hope he's having a lovely Christmas, wherever he might be. :toast:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I remember Stitchindude, his riddles were one of the daily highlights.
:toast: wherever he is now I hope he still has the same lively humour.
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Thanks guys for letting me sound off in a safe place ❤️❤️❤️
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Next round of whatever everyone is having is on me.

My dad would have been 60 today ❤️
Mabel Figworthy

I hope you have lots of good and happy memories of your dad to think of today :hug:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

Thank you Mabel :hug:
Funnily, he loved his birthday and receiving presents, like a little kid, but he left the giving of presents to us kids to mum 😆
No doubt we would be watching a movie, we’ve seen a hundred times already, and eating so much food and chocolate.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm starting to gear up for our Hogmanay party -- the only (legal) one in all of Scotland! I intend to enjoy it for exactly that reason. Have restocked the shelves and the baking is done (and the ham is particularly splendid). Decorations next... :P
Mabel Figworthy

Oooh I haven't done a baked ham in ages - must put one on the menu some time soon!

The Dutch usually go mad with fireworks on New Year's Eve (private fireworks, I mean, not big shows, although there are those too) but this year it's been prohibited so it'll be a quiet one for my non-ex-pat fellow countrymen and women.

As I said in another thread we'll celebrate with a Dutch treat called oliebollen (literally oil balls, but I assure you they taste better than that sounds :-) ) - I'm sure there'll be some left for the S&G!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Ooooh party preparation :dance:

I have brought some Bara Brith (speckled tea-bread) and I made sure the dried fruit was thoroughly soaked in tea to plump up, and also some lovely rich Welsh butter to go with.

We will have a veritable feast with all these foods from different places, and of course, being the S&G they are all calorie - free!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

To get you in the mood, thought you might enjoy this. Full screen with sound on. It's amazing.
Mabel Figworthy

Hmm, it started playing, then when I turned the sound on it stopped, and I can't see any controls :thinks: :thinks: :thinks:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Oh, dear. :( I just clicked on the "x" to unmute and it worked fine... pity!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I thought I had posted a reply but it has disappeared which means I never clicked submit. Not a great beginning for a new year but oh so fitting for the one that we are leaving behind. :tizzy:

I also just had to click on the "x" to unmute the piece and hope you are able to see and hear this, Mabel. Thank you Serinde for sharing it. It is a beautiful piece. Is this a virtual version of an event that takes place every year? The visual is perfect and the narrations are beautiful. I'm going to be forwarding the link to several friends who I know will love it as much as I did.

Thank you.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker