Rust stain removal from canvas

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kettlekaren

Rust stain removal from canvas

Post by kettlekaren »

Hi there, I'm hoping one of you lovely people will be able to help me. I'm brand new to cross stitch, although I enjoy crafting of any sort. My sister passed away earlier this year and amongst her unfinished projects is a cross stitch. Who knows how long ago she last put a stitch in it, as the 2 needles she stored threaded through the canvas have left rust stains! Can I get rid of them without ruining her stitches on the other parts of the canvas? All suggestions appreciated! :)
wendywombat

Re: Rust stain removal from canvas

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome to the Forum from SW France!

Hope this helps your problem as it would be a really nice gesture to finish something your sister started:

The first thing to do would be to wash it in warm water with some mild soap solution...wool wash sort is perfect. As you don't know if the colours are colour-fast rinse in cold water. If any of the colours 'bleed' keep rinsing in cold water until any colour run disappears.

The rust mark will probably lighten a bit I fear that they may never go completely! :doh: :cry:
If they are right on the edge then maybe they can be covered by a mount. If not then perhaps you can extend the stitching in the design to cover them. Rust marks are a real Pain! :tantrum:

Maybe someone else here will have another suggestion. :x:
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

You can try vinegar. But, when a stain is that old, often nothing will work as time has set it.

DO NOT USE BLEACH. It apparently sets a rust stain.
willow

Post by willow »

Try a little lemon juice on the stain then leave it to dry in the sun then wash as normal, you can also mix lemon juice with a little table salt until its a sloppy paste(not too wet) spread on the marks, again dry in the sun and wash as normal. And welcome to the forum :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from a very wet South Carolina! I have nothing to add regarding the rust stain, other than to hope that what has been suggested will work. I have used lemon juice (diluted) and the sun on other types of stains on clothes and it has helped. If you do finish the piece, I hope you will share it with us.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Reta

Post by Reta »

another vote for Lemon Juice
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

When I entertained hopes of building my own yacht (hopes long buried under the oppressive weight of a mortgage) I was aware that a lot of yotties used 'Oxalic Acid' on their teak decks to remove rust stains. It is available, but it's a bit poisonous (it's the stuff that needs to be cooked out from Rhubarb) and needs to be treated with a bit of respect. I gather it does work, though I have no experience of using it myself - I never got close to actually having the steel deck I aspired to, let alone teak. It shouldn't damage the fabric either (though it would be sensible to test a corner first).

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation