Sad Day

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Sad Day

Post by Rose »

Just read that Robin Williams has died of a suicide. What a sad thing. As my husband and I say all the time. Money and fame do not equal happiness. I just loved Robins humor. What a hard thing for the family. :( :(
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
fccs

Re: Sad Day

Post by fccs »

I agree. He was a talented comedian and actor, but the funny man exterior must have been hiding a tormented soul.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I'm beyond words on this! I first heard about this a little over an hour ago and I'm still just stunned. Such a talented man. He will be sorely missed by those of us who loved him!! R. I. P. Robin
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

sami51311

Post by sami51311 »

I feel so sad. I grew up watching him on television. Will be greatly missed.
sami
WIP
Four Seasons Chairs Design By Diana Thomas
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Just read it on my news channelApparently he was battling depression.So sad.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

RIP Robin Williams. He was the first comedian that I became aware of as a kid, and I've always liked him. Just a few weeks ago a few of us were watching some of his older bits from when he was just starting out and commenting that there will never be another one quite like him in our lifetime.

I hope he finally found the peace from whatever inner demons he battled his whole life with his depression. Can't you just see him cracking jokes in the line at the pearly gates? I"m not religious and don't necessarily believe in heaven/hell.. but the idea of what Robin Williams might have to say on the matter makes me smile.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:( Just read about this here. I've been watching DVDs or recorded shows so zipped through commercials etc. what an incredibly talented man. My heart goes out to his family. He will be missed by many.

Carole
:(
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a sad ending to a very gifted and wonderful man. He gave pleasure and a laugh to so many people. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and close friends. :rose:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
felicity53

Post by felicity53 »

So sad. Such a talent. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and fans. R.I.P. Mr Williams. x
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I'm shocked and deeply saddened - Robin Williams brought a lot of joy to a lot of people and will be sorely missed. Depression is such a horrible, horrible illness. I hope his family are left alone by the media to grieve in peace. :pray:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I've been watching the news but only after half an hour did I hear it was suspected suicide. Makes it even more tragic and so so so sad. He was open about his battle with depression and addiction and it's so sad that he lost it. Depression is such a ruining disease.

He was a great actor and someone who I always thought would have a kind word and friendly guesture to anyone.

I've just seen him saying "suicide is a permenant solution to a temporary problem" and wish he had heeded his own words, though I know it's never and not as simple as that. May he find peace.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
imogenX

Post by imogenX »

Fizzbw wrote:Depression is such a ruining disease.
Agreed.

Tragically, the trailers for Night at the Museum 3 are playing in theaters right now (I just saw one on Sunday) - and the movie is scheduled to be released in December. :(
-Imogen

Current WIPs
HAED SK Some Enchanted Evening
Stitchonomy Winter SAL
Animal Alphabet SAL (Anna Gutova for Artmishka)
Modern Folk Embroidery SAL 2021
Wonders of the Solar System SAL (Climbing Goat Designs)
Gnomes (Designs by Gloria & Pat)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I cried for a good while when I heard this last night. It is sad to lose such a comedic genius.

While not at the same level as Robin, I have also dealt with depression and anxiety and know first hand that even milder depression can be debilitating. I am grateful I have been able to cope with my issues, and I pray that those who deal with darker demons find peace and happiness without losing hope.

Rest in peace, Robin. You will be missed by many.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
agi

Post by agi »

I loved him mostly in his more serious films, The Dead Poets Society was the first that I saw. A true classic.
RIP. :(
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

What a great shame. He had such a talent.
I remember him when he was just starting out on TV in the whacky Mork and Mindy.

RIP. Mr. Williams. You'll be missed.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

So sad! I've dealt with very serious depression in my life and that voice telling you things in your head makes perfect sense when you're lost in your depression. It's kind of like an alcoholics interior voice telling them that one drink won't hurt.

How very sad that he didn't/couldn't get the help he needed. I looked at his pics from his last series and he looks so sad.

Christy
Drac

Post by Drac »

It's very tragic... and also so hard given this is a topic people know he's battled with and thought about. But depression is amazingly destructive. I think the best representation I've ever seen of true depression was in a movie in which Robin Williams himself acted, "What Dreams May Come". Without giving anything away, it looks at the afterlife, including is it's own version of that of someone who committed suicide. It's a powerful and accurate depiction of depression in this scene. Depression isn't about something that has actually happened to you or been done to you, necessarily, though those things can make it worse. It's like the inside of your own mind turning on you uncontrollably. I don't know that there is really a true way to save people from it.... :( I wish someone had found a way to help him further... :(
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

I'm not sure others can save another person from depression. I guess if things were so bad you forcibly committed the person. I don't know. I know personally I had to make the choice to pursue help in its many forms.

I read today he'd been diagnosed with Parkinson's. Just so, so sad. I can't imagine.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

So sad to loose such a great talent. I remember seeing him first in Mork & Mindy and my Dh & I liked many of his films. Only just a few weeks ago we watched the Fisher King. :(
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Such a sad and tragic thing. He was my very fave comic a brilliant entertainer. He suffered many years with alcholism and finally got that under control only to be diagnoised with Parkinsons recently. Apparently that also caused extreme depresison and is much harder to treat as well/
The laughter is quieter now. :cry:
Linda