seed bead storage

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

stitchingmae

seed bead storage

Post by stitchingmae »

Well I think thanks to a sampler called save the stitches. From the blackworkjourney.co.uk (its in the freebie section) I am finally going to attempt black work and beading all in the same project. Anyways, for those of you that bead how do you all store your sead beeds? I need something that does not take up tons of room. I have seen the stackers etc, but so far I don't really like the traditional means. LoL. Truly I don't need to spend that much yet as this will be my first beading project, but I am just curious as to what you all use?
CuriousKitty

Re: seed bead storage

Post by CuriousKitty »

I have a couple of different methods, I'm not sure what you mean by stackers, however this is what I use:

Unopened Seed Beads:

Opened Charms & Beads. This includes seed beads, glass beads of 1-4mm or more, charms and a few random other things. Almost all of the little charms and baubles are for masquerade masques that I've made. When I have another box like you see here, I'll migrate my unopened seed beads there.

meganh

Post by meganh »

I like your system, where do you get all the little round containers?
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

I buy them from JoAnn's.

http://www.joann.com/darice-stackable-b ... 34940.html" target="_blank

Took me a bit to find it, it's about 4 dollars cheaper than it used to be when I bought my three- hence why I couldn't find it. I was looking in the $10+ section. :doh:

Although looking at the description, it says 30 containers, mine have 28 (two longer containers you see holding my enormous amount of white seed beads). However, I think it's close enough. I like my containers because they're small and tidy and fit into my sliding drawer cabinets (well the big drawers since there's three of them).

10 3/4" long, 5" wide, 1 3/4" high

27cm long, 13cm wide, 4.5cm high (since I know there's a good deal of people here that aren't raised on imperial).
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

I just recently came up with a system for all of my Mill Hill beads. I just use one of the floss boxes and got some little ziplocks to fit in the compartments (I think they are 1"x2") and I labeled each one with the color number and Mill Hill name so they don't accidentally get mixed up with my HOARDS of regular seed beads. And I placed them in the box in numerical order so they are easy to flip through and see.

Curiouskitty, I like your system, and would like to do that with my regular seed beads, but I have so many of each color I would need big containers for each of them.. :( So they continue to live in small ziplock baggies all inside of a large ziplock baggie until I can think of some better way to store them.

I used to have them just loose each color in a compartment of the floss boxes, but I have so many colors and they are a bugger to try and fish them out of there like that... :lol:
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

JoAnn's has several containers, and one of them is a box of 25 screw-top containers that might be large enough. You should go check it out- their selection is really nice.

I rarely bead, so those three boxes are the extent of my hoard (however I did just purchase two more of my little boxes since they're so ridiculously cheap, and a little tiny petite chart...)
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

wow these are all great. I think as of now since I will only be purchasing 1 or two colors I may stick to the tubes they come in, but if i get more I like aingels idea tons!