Mouldy cross stitch kit...

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

LadyGisburne

Mouldy cross stitch kit...

Post by LadyGisburne »

Hi Everybody :wave:

Just a quick question: Today I received a Dimensions Gold cross stitch kit (All is calm) that I bought as new from Ebay. I was so looking forward to getting it. When it arrived it was still in the original packaging and everything looked completely new and untouched.... but when I opened it was all damp and it smells horribly mouldy... It must have been stored in a damp place for ages... I was soooo disappointed... :cry: :cry:

I used a lot of Febreze on the chart, the cardboard front picture and the aida fabric and hung them up to dry and left the threads in the sink to soak with some soap. I just repeated all of the steps above and used Febreze on the threads as well and put them on the heating to dry but everything still smells pretty horrible.

Does anybody have a good idea what to do? Is it safe to put the threads and the fabric in the washing machine? I already considered just keeping the chart and throwing all the rest out if the smell doesn't go but that would seem a bit of a waste :tantrum: It really hurts to see a wonderful kit in such a state...

Thanks so much for the advice and have a lovely day:-)
WIP
Design Works - Joan Elliott's Spring Fairy
DMC - The Heliotrope Fairy
Dimensions Gold Collection - Fall Fairy
DMC - Floral ABC

Recently Finished
Jann Designs - George Harrison
Several smaller projects from different cross stitch magazines
Arianwen

Re: Mouldy cross stitch kit...

Post by Arianwen »

I would definitely contact the seller/file a complaint if it is sold as new and that damp, as others from that seller might be suffering the same problem.

if you've treated it and can still smell it, you might just be super sensitive to the smell now (I find that I pick up on a smell on things no matter how faint if i've smelled it recently)

I would try washing the fabric and threads again and leaving them outside to dry. I know bicarbonate of soda gets the sour milk smell out of plastic milk bottles (I've just done this ready for an easter activity) and i believe it is an odour neutraliser but I'm not sure how your threads/fabby react.

I don't see why you couldnt put them through the washing machine though, i know people put the finished projects through and it would be the same principle. the threads may get interminably knotted is my only concern. I would put everything in a pillowcase to stop it getting too tangled, and put it on a gentle wash.

Let us know how you get on!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
LadyGisburne

Post by LadyGisburne »

Thanks for all the good advice, Arianwen :D I've already checked several times on my threads again and they definitely smell much better now so I am pleased with that and I don't think I want to risk getting them completely entangled in the washing machine. I might give the fabric one more day to air and if I am still unhappy about the smell, I will put it into the washing machine.

I know what you mean about being sensitive to the smell. One of the kits I recently got of Ebay came from a smoker's home and although I aired the threads and the fabric for ages I was still totally convinced that the smell was still very strong although it has almost totally vanished...

Yes, I think I will have to tell the seller. I paid almost £20 for the kit and the condition was most certainly not "new"... :tantrum:
WIP
DMC - Floral ABC

Recently Finished
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

You could try soaking it in dilute distilled white vinegar, that may help with removing mould spores and the musty smell and won't affect the colours. I would definitely contact the seller, they possibly don't know about the kits they are selling being damp if they haven't been opene...plus they need to offer you a refund or replacement as the item is definitely not as described.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

If you have some nice sunny days, after you wash them, lay them in the bright sun to dry...I had some yarn that smelled really moldy once and someone told me to do that, and it worked.
And I agree you should contact the seller, a good one will replace it or give a refund.
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

Ainjel333 wrote:If you have some nice sunny days, after you wash them, lay them in the bright sun to dry...
The sun is an AWESOME sanitizer. When I was in the Air Force I learned that the ultraviolet rays on a sunny day (no matter the temperature; below freezing upto scorching out in the desert) will kill all viruses (although they tech. aren't 'alive') bacteria and molds/funguses. When you go shopping, grab a cart from the parking lot, if it's been out there for more than 5 min, it is as sanitized as if you pull one of those chemical wips (but a lot nicer to the environment).

(sorry about the thread drift)
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
meganh

Post by meganh »

There is a producut sold for pets that is called Natures Miricle...it is. If you can get some a quick soak/wash and a dry in the sun should do it.
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
Rose

Post by Rose »

Be sure to sew the edges of the fabric before you toss it into the washing machine so that you don't get a lot of fraying.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
LadyGisburne

Post by LadyGisburne »

Wow, thanks to all of you, that's a lot of great advice :applesauce: :D :dance:

I will definitely try the "drying in the sun" method. That's really great to know. I just had a last check. The threads almost don't smell anymore and the aida has improved loads as well (I might still give it a wash though) but the outer cardboard cover of the kit with the colour picture of the stitching on is actually the worst offender, the mouldy stench doesn't seem to come out of it at all although I put a good amount of Febreze on it several times. This normally works miracles for all kinds of musty smelling bits of paper or cardboard. I treated the chart with Febreze and after hanging it up to dry it only smells of Febreze now. I will spray the cardboard with Febreze one last time and will then try to leave it in the sun to dry (weather permitting :lol: ) Hopefully I will be able to stitch this beautiful kit eventually... it really looks so lovely... I will keep you updated...
Thanks again and happy stitching to all of you lovely people out there :wave:
WIP
DMC - Floral ABC

Recently Finished