Any opinions on lap stands/frames?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

littleturtlegirl

Any opinions on lap stands/frames?

Post by littleturtlegirl »

I have been using my moms hoops that are over 30 years old. However, now that I am getting older I find that my hands hurt. I would like to get a stand for Christmas, but what stand....I have read different opinions here, but was wondering if anyone has any opinions on lap stands/frames.

I am looking for a lap stand as I do not have much room in my home with my dogs. :) I would like a lap stand that holds either Qstraps, loops or scrolls (which I have never used a scroll, but one day I might, so I would like the option, however it isn't important).

I have looked at different ones, but was wondering if anyone had a particular one they did or did not like?

Any help would be appreciated as it is very overwhelming looking online.
socialsue

Re: Any opinions on lap stands/frames?

Post by socialsue »

I love my scroll frames. I use two hand stitching so the scroll frames helps me to be free from holding the hoops, Q-snaps, etc.... I have both Lap/table stands and floor stand which holds my scroll frames. I have many different sizes of scroll frames. If I have a long fabric to stitch, I tend to use my table stand scroll frames to hold the weight. The floor stand I use smaller scroll frames designs. I love them all and they are easier on my hands.

I do have Q-snaps and hoops but find them awkward since I am developing arthritis which means holding the frames or hoops hurt after awhile of stitching.

socialsue :D
littleturtlegirl

Sadly the arthritis is staring in my hands too. I was looking at the z shape lap stand, it will hold different things so I thought it would be good as it is hands free, but reviews on the order sites are all over the place. Some say it is not comfortable sitting on the wood, others say they fall over.

I just don't want to get a stand for my lap and it doesn't work.

Do you have a favorite lap/table stand socialsue?
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

I really don't see how a lap stand would be very stable at all, wiggling and wobbling around in your lap if you applied any pressure at all while stitching.
I'd think a floor stand would be 100% better.
I've seen these and they are nice for those in the USA.
http://www.artisandesign.com/" target="_blank

That's my two cents. :D
Mr. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap.

Stop by my web site for free charts,
My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
Rick's Recipes for Singles
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I have an Ergo floor stand that folds up when not in use. I love it! I too am in the market for a lap frame. One sort of like the artisto from needle needs.
I have a video on youtube about my Ergo!
fccs

Post by fccs »

I have a floor stand that holds scroll frames, stretcher bars, and qsnaps (all of which I have used for my cross stitching). I also have a lap frame by K's Creations that I have used with my scroll frames and stretcher bars; I haven't used it for Qsnaps. If I am thinking of the same Z frame you mentioned, it is also made by K's, so I'm sure it will be well made. I've never had a problem with the lap frame being unstable or moving too much, and if space is an issue, it could be a good solution.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

I tried a lap stand, the kind that have a ledge that goes under your leg but it did not worked well with my sciatic nerve problem...
I own a Siesta Stitch Master stand since February this year and I love it! it is light weighed, compact and the frame sits on top of it, it is not clamped so it is easy to flip over to access the back.
I found it very comfortable to use.
This is a link to it http://www.siestaframes.com/acatalog/St ... Stand.html
They also have a lap version that works with the same principles.
The only frame I would imagine being a problem for those stand is the Needle Need Millenium frame as it appear to be to heavy for it.
I use q-snap and they work perfectly with it.
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have the Z frame and I just love it. It holds my q-snaps with ease and I can arrange it to suit were I am stitching.

After many tries and lots of money with different floor stands I found they were not for me. they did not suit my style so the lap stand was perfect.

It all comes down to personal preference and where you stitch and what works best with that.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I have a Lowery which doesn't take up much room at all and I love it! I do very few large projects, but for the few that I do it has been absolutely invaluable. And even when I don't use it to hold a frame, it sits by my side and holds my needles and scissors by means of two little magnets :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Tamnsin

Post by Tamnsin »

I have a much loved Lowery floor stand as well. These take up almost no room and work for very wide scroll rods and q-snaps. I believe there is a table clamp that can be purchased if that is important to you. I use this exclusively at home.

I also have a Elan lap stand from Artisan Designs that can handle smaller scroll rod widths and q-snaps. The stand can be used as a table stand as well. This is my favorite of the lap stands I have used or tried.

The other lap stand I still have is the Tomorrow's Treasures from American Dream Products. This will hold scroll rods as wide as you can get them provided you have the table/couch/floor/bed space to handle the width.
littleturtlegirl

Thank you for all the responses. I was hoping there was a multiple quote response, but since there isn't one I will respond with each of your names. :)

In general I didn't even know what a Q-snap was till I found this forum. I see that everyone likes scrolls, but being that you have to use more fabric and I don't have a ton of money, I don't know if I am interested in using them.

I stitch in my kitchen and there isn't much room. I am thinking that I might have to switch rooms and chairs... I thought that a lap stand would be best as I do not have that much room, but with all the great info I have more questions. :)

SOCIALSUE: Thank you for the response.

THEGRINDRE: I have seen the ergo stand, but I think it might be too big for my space. I also saw the lap version, but I do not see many reviews for it. However, everyone loves the ergo so much I can't see that the lap one would be an issue.

MAEMAE0410: Girl I love your videos. I saw the Ergo on the forum and googled it. Which brought me to your videos and I subscribed. :) My question to you is do you like the scrolls more than the q-straps now?

FCCS: The lap one that you have is it this one: http://www.amazon.com/Z-Lap-Frame-With- ... B001144X0M" target="_blank ? I am asking because I was almost sold on it till ORIETTAIT mentioned something GREAT. I have sciatic issues and sitting on the wood I wonder if it will throw my hip off. Oh the things that happen to us as we get older. Can you tell me does one of your legs sit up higher than the other?

ORIETTAIT: Thank you sooooo much for bringing up your sciatic nerve problem. I have a sciatic issues and didn't even think about it. I was worried with space, my hands and not hunching over. Oh the things to think about as age keeps climbing...What lap version do you have that doesn't bother your sciatic?

ROSE: Thank you for commenting. With your Z frame do you have to sit on it or do you place it on your lap?

MABEL FIGWORTHY: Is the Lowery a metal stand? I tried googling it and I do not see a site, just one that has metal stands that are not cheap. :) Any further information would be great.

TAMNSIN: I have the same question for you as above. Is your Lowery stand a metal stand? You have the Elan lap stand. Please tell me about it. How heavy is it? The reason I was going with a stand that goes under my leg is that I have bad knees and I have read reviews that some of the lap stands put too much pressure on the legs...I was looking at the American Dream Products, but didn't want to limited to scrolls for my first stand, but glad to hear that you like it.

Sorry for all the questions ladies. :)
cairee

Post by cairee »

i actually use a scroll frame for projects that I dont have a large framing/finishing border, about 2" is all I give myself for my scroll frame. in my own experience q snaps require the largest border allowance.
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Tamnsin

Post by Tamnsin »

TAMNSIN: I have the same question for you as above. Is your Lowery stand a metal stand? You have the Elan lap stand. Please tell me about it. How heavy is it? The reason I was going with a stand that goes under my leg is that I have bad knees and I have read reviews that some of the lap stands put too much pressure on the legs...I was looking at the American Dream Products, but didn't want to limited to scrolls for my first stand, but glad to hear that you like it.

I did use a hoop stand years ago that was the sit upon type. Sit upon frames limit your movement. I have to squirm around and cross my legs so it didn't work out for me. Please consider if this will be an issue with your knees and sciatica.

The Lowery and the Elan take up almost exactly the same amount of space.

My Lowery Workstand is made of stainless steel and was purchased from Sew and So. I ordered this late Wednesday night and it was delivered to me in the U.S. on Saturday. This is my main stand and I love it deeply.

The Elan is a very well made stand. The wood is smoothly finished and all parts work well. There are tons of position adjustments that make stitching more comfortable. I never felt that it was heavy on the tops of my legs but I don't have knee issues. The Elan was my main stand and has seen plenty of use. I have used scroll rods (up to 24") and q-snaps on this stand. It will handle hoops as well. Very easy access to the back of your work too. If you are stitching in your kitchen this is also a great table stand and has soft cork on the bottom so it won't damage the finish on your furniture. The Elan is my travel stand and fits with all of my stitching stuff in a 15" laptop tote bag.

The Elan weighs 2 lbs 6 oz.
Last edited by Tamnsin on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
littleturtlegirl

I have spent the last couple of weeks looking online, why didn't I come here first. You guys have the best information. :)

That doesn't mean I made a decision yet however. lol
fccs

Post by fccs »

littleturtlegirl wrote:
FCCS: The lap one that you have is it this one: http://www.amazon.com/Z-Lap-Frame-With- ... B001144X0M" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank ? I am asking because I was almost sold on it till ORIETTAIT mentioned something GREAT. I have sciatic issues and sitting on the wood I wonder if it will throw my hip off. Oh the things that happen to us as we get older. Can you tell me does one of your legs sit up higher than the other?
I don't think they even make mine any longer. They are similar to this http://www.123stitch.com/item/Ks-Creati ... me/KC-BB09" target="_blank" target="_blank, except instead of the things on the side for the scroll frames, there are metal pieces to hold stretcher bars (and qsnaps with some finagling). It sits in my lap, I don't sit on it.

The Z frame is what I would like to eventually get because I like the idea of having the one side free.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I have 2 table stands which has wooden stand on both ends. That means I can use any lengths of scroll frames when stitching. I put them on a table so that I can use two hands stitching method. I also have one table stand that has a free end on one end. I can use my two hand stitching method but the disadvantage is that I am limited to how long my scroll frames are to use it. The floor stand is similar so I use small stitching projects on that. I don't have lap stand to put underneath my legs since I don't like them. All together, I have 4 different choices.

Photo of my favorite kind..... can u see the stands at the end of each side? This is what holds my scroll frames. It also means that I can put a small scroll frames or a large one like 36 inches wide and put it on my dining room table to work on it. The scroll frame will not be falling to one side if too heavy.

socialsue :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

The Z that I bought was made to set on your lap. I have a small weight that I set on the frame base when I have a large project. But I do not use it all the time just as needed. After so many years of holding my work with pillows and knees it was so nice to find a frame that actually works for me.

Funny thing is at the moment with the projects that I have to finish my poor little frame is being neglected. I have been Christmas stitching and the size of the project just do not call for a frame or a hoop. :roll:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

littleturtlegirl wrote:ORIETTAIT: Thank you sooooo much for bringing up your sciatic nerve problem. I have a sciatic issues and didn't even think about it. I was worried with space, my hands and not hunching over. Oh the things to think about as age keeps climbing...What lap version do you have that doesn't bother your sciatic?
I usually use the floor stand stitchmaster from siesta frame but if I am working on a smaller project I still use my grandmother lap stand hoop that looks like this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elbesee-Table ... 1160856948
it just sit on top of your lap so no bother at all
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes, the Lowery is metal, but quite light and as I said it's very "space-economic". But you're right, they aren't cheap :-(. Minewas a combined anniversary/birthday present.
They do turn up on eBay occasionally though!

Here it shows how the frame attaches; the metal bit by the side of my chair is the whole stand, there is a metal plate on the floor that the chair rests on and the stand sticks into it, if that makes sense.

I just found another photo which shows the stand without a frame, and turned back. This is how it always stands by my side, with my needle-and-scissors magnets on it, when not in use with a big project.

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Wen

Post by Wen »

Thanks for those great pictures Mabel. I do have a question. Can the vertical "pole" that "sticks in the floor plate" go higher? I think it can right?!
WIP:
Lanarte: Green Winged Ara
Dimensions (petites): Chickadees in Spring
HAED: QS Little Tommy Tittlemouse

Finished:
Lanarte: Protective Care Elephant