How do you put the floss on the bobbins?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

1bulletburner

How do you put the floss on the bobbins?

Post by 1bulletburner »

Do I put it on as one continous piece as it comes in the package? Or am I to cut it in the lengths needed and pull the six strands apart and put each strand on the bobbin seperate?
fccs

Re: How do you put the floss on the bobbins?

Post by fccs »

I bobbinate mine as one continuous piece as it is on the skein. I cut the length(s) I need when I stitch.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:I bobbinate mine as one continuous piece as it is on the skein. I cut the length(s) I need when I stitch.
That is exactly what I do.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I've heard some people mention that they pre-cut their floss into the lengths they like to stitch with, and I'm pretty sure I've heard at least one person mention that they also pre-separate their strands. I don't because...

:ratherbe:
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

Oh, my! It takes enough time away from stitching just to wrap the whole skein around the bobbins - I can't imagine pre-cutting and pre-separating the threads as well! Besides, you never know when you might need something a little shorter or if maybe you need 3 strands or 1 strand instead of two.
Sandi
HalbertMusik

Post by HalbertMusik »

Hallo-

Normally I also put the entire length on the bobbin, but - I put some precut lengths from a kit as well. Having used this on the last piece I worked on, I can say that this too can be quite helpful.

Of course really, it is your hobby and I promise not too tell the stitching police... :wink:

William David
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I wind the floss in one long piece. I have wound cut lengths left over from a couple of kits and it was hard to do and it turned out too fat.

When working on a project, I put each bobbin in it's own floss-away bag. That way I have a tidy way of keeping any cut lengths with the bobbins of the appropriate colors.
Last edited by curly sue on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

fccs wrote:I bobbinate mine as one continuous piece as it is on the skein. I cut the length(s) I need when I stitch.

That's what I do too!

:D
1bulletburner

Post by 1bulletburner »

Thank you everyone!! I started my first project pre-cutting and seperating. My first impression - No way am I enjoying bobbing!! :tantrum: I am liking the idea of using the bags to hold the bobbins and extra pieces together. I will post an update in the SAL soon. I plan to start my first stitches next Friday!! I am super excited :dance:
fccs

Post by fccs »

1bulletburner wrote: I will post an update in the SAL soon. I plan to start my first stitches next Friday!! I am super excited :dance:
Looking forward to seeing your project as it progresses. I've been stitching for a few decades now and I still get super excited about it. It is truly an addiction I am proud to have. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I'd be worried about them getting tangled if you tried to bobbinate cut lengths ... but I'm a stitchbow girl.
Myst..
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

wendywombat wrote:

That's what I do too!

Yep, me too.
Linda
Hetty1989

Post by Hetty1989 »

mauveme wrote:
wendywombat wrote:

That's what I do too!

Yep, me too.

Me as well!! You can just use what you need then
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

That's how I do it as well.
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

Sometimes, when I've gotten a kit, I'll take ALL the strands of one color and wind them up on one bobbin together. Then after I've started the project, when I get to that color, I'll separate the strands and rewind. (NOT pulled pieces, tho!!! that would drive me nuts! -lol) I just like to get to the stitching as soon as possible, and if one color has 22 strands of itself, well, I just won't take the time then ...

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I wind the entire skein onto bobbins for storage. Then for each project, I make a project card and cut 1 length of each color needed and store on the project card pulling individual strands as needed and returning the partial strands back to the project card. This works best for me so that I'm not constantly going into my bobbin boxes each time I need a color. For a big project like a HAED, this is absolutely a time saver to not have to dig for floss from a bobbin or even a floss bag constantly.. This is what my project cards for my HAED look like..

For smaller projects I found that paint chips from the hardware store with holes punched around the edges work perfectly! Now I just need to come up with a system to deal with left over floss from when I finish a project.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge