Golden kite patterns/kits

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

annamarie23

Golden kite patterns/kits

Post by annamarie23 »

I've been reading through on the forum and seen a few mentions of Golden Kite so checked out their website. They have the most wonderful charts and kits :wub: but noticed they are quite expensive. What are the charts and kits like to use? :)
Anna-Marie x

WIP - CSC 'Calligraphy', Janlynn 'Egyptian Pair', Ink Circles 'Woodland Vines'.
Waiting in the wings - Music and violin- Skitzzzzz, SQ 'Midsummer Eve', HAED Mini Camelot plus lots of others.
Lottie

Re: Golden kite patterns/kits

Post by Lottie »

I'm interested to hear people's opinions as well. Have got a couple on my wishlist but don't want to spend out that amount of money without some decent reviews :D
This is the year that I finally deal with all my UFOs......
skitzzzzz

Post by skitzzzzz »

well i have only had the charts not the kits and i really do like them i prefer them to Haed they are more expensive but they take that long to stitch that to me out weighs the cost
i am doing 2 at the moment ( well i will be once my hand is better )
they can be stitched on any count the chart gives you options for this on sizes etc.
i prefered the charts as i have lot stash so just re buy the threads
depending on the level depends on how many blends are used or you can get them without the blended threads
mine use blends
oh well that's my 2 pence worth lol
W.I.P
Still Life with Roses GK
Frost GK

http://www.facebook.com/skitzzzzz" target="_blank" target="_blank
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

Thank you for your opinion - that's good to know. Might have to impose a stash ban for a couple of months so I can buy one :)
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

Lottie wrote:Thank you for your opinion - that's good to know. Might have to impose a stash ban for a couple of months so I can buy one :)
Totally agree Lottie! :lol: I Although on reflection I might just have to start an 'Anna Marie GK savings fund' for the GK stuff as I just couldn't impose a stash ban. Buying stitchy stash is all that keeps me going! :)
Anna-Marie x

Waiting in the wings - Music and violin- Skitzzzzz, SQ 'Midsummer Eve', HAED Mini Camelot plus lots of others.
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

annamarie23 wrote: on reflection I might just have to start an 'Anna Marie GK savings fund' for the GK stuff as I just couldn't impose a stash ban. Buying stitchy stash is all that keeps me going! :)
:lol: :lol:
I've drooled over those GK charts myself!
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

I have three GK charts they are drool worthy believe me, the quality of the charts are great, think Haed plus, and I love Haed, if you want a challenge then try one. I will buy more
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

crafterglen wrote:I have three GK charts they are drool worthy believe me, the quality of the charts are great, think Haed plus, and I love Haed, if you want a challenge then try one. I will buy more
Wow! True praise. I will investigate. Thank you for your reply. :wub:
Anna-Marie x

crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

what kind of subject do you like to stitch Annamarie? my charts are forest scenes and in the snow.
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

crafterglen wrote:what kind of subject do you like to stitch Annamarie? my charts are forest scenes and in the snow.
Hi crafterglen. I don't really have a particular subject, I just go with what catches my eye to be honest. Are the charts you have from GK? How have you got on with them?
Anna-Marie x

vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I am stitching 2 at the moment and love them. Although they are huge they are fun to stitch as long as you have the patience to stick with it. They have lots of different levels depending on how much of a challenge you want.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

I love huge charts, don't find them a challenge no harder than Haed or any other chart just huge so you get a fabulous piece, yes mine are GK and I started on my Forest - 1682 Winter Sunset in the Fir Forest and couldn't put it down, it was addictive and so fab to stitch,
annamarie23

Post by annamarie23 »

crafterglen wrote:I love huge charts, don't find them a challenge no harder than Haed or any other chart just huge so you get a fabulous piece, yes mine are GK and I started on my Forest - 1682 Winter Sunset in the Fir Forest and couldn't put it down, it was addictive and so fab to stitch,
That's great! I'll check out that one on the site to see what you are stitching. The more I hear, the more inclined I am to get one. Happy stitching! :dance:
Anna-Marie x

franacropan

Post by franacropan »

I chose a high level one ( 200 colours, over a hundred of which are blends) and found that it was very very confetti dense. At first this was a problem as I am a parker and found that the dozens and dozens of parked threads in just one block became like hairdressing, you had to part them to weasle the next parked thread in - so I switched to cross country and semi parking and got along much better.
It was expensive but I felt it was worth it, I'm sure it will look exactly like the art work when finished.
Just for a scarey picture, here's the pattern laid out. I'm sure no one could possibly get anything from the pattern so it shouldn't be breaking copyright but I'll take it down if anyone thinks I should.
And this is a link to my bit of progress before scurrying back to my HAED.
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

:shock: And I thought my Starry Night was huge.. oh boy!!! How big is that design going to be when it's done?
ohstitcher

Post by ohstitcher »

I have a GK on the go at the moment although I have not picked it up in ages. I also have several HAED wip's. I can tell you that the GK patterns are expensive but the detail is stunning. The blending of colors puts more depth into the pictures in my opinion. I recently purchased a Scarlet Quince pattern and am chomping at the bit to start it I am waiting until I finish at least something. (which will be years from now). I wish you luck in your adventure if you decide to give it a go.
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man ~ Winston Churchill~
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: I looked at your link and this is beautiful. I can see why parking became a problem. I can't manage parking 3 threads, let alone a couple of hundred. I hope you will keep us updated on your progress.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

Wow, that is amazing :shock:
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Wow, she's gorgeous :wub:
I have 4 GK charts and have yet to start any of them :oops: . I'd like to get going on at least one of them, but when is the big question :lol: :ratherbe:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
amyb

Post by amyb »

I've got a GK in progress and one in stash to start when the first is completed.

GK patterns are pretty nicely set up. They give the size of the completed picture as well as the size of fabric needed with 3" borders on all sides for framing. They do the math! And they also give the fabric sizes for several different fabrics. As well, they have extensive thread usage charts for several fabric counts.

You can have the pattern printed and mailed to you or just get the download. It takes a few days for them to email the pattern, but it's worth the wait.

I've never ordered a kit from them. WAY too expensive, holy cow, but I can easily get my hands on floss at Joanne's at 39 cents per skein. Fabric I buy in the interwebs.

I think the prices for the chart are fair for what you get. Also keep in mind that if there's a chart that they only have in a level 6, you can email them and ask them to scale it down to another level you might find more comfortable.

I've never done a HAED, so I have no basis for comparison, but HAED has more contemporary type pictures.

Also, they do have a free pattern you can download if you create an account there. It's a pretty nice rose. It's a no risk way to try out their patterns before buying.
WIP
GK Stitching the Standard
HAED Treasure Quest
SotW SAL
Around the World in 80 Stitches

Finished
Max's Moon

Not yet started
GK Valkyrie's Vigil
Chat Konstantinople Hamam
HAED Owl Lady