Cones

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

BizzieLizzie

Cones

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I was just idly daydreaming about tonight's stitching session (no surprise there :ratherbe: ) and thinking about getting some Anchor black to replace my DMC black. If I got the Anchor black on cones would it work out cheaper than skeins and are they the same type of thread, just packaged differently? Is there anything else I should take into consideration when using cones, such as how to store them?
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Reta

Re: Cones

Post by Reta »

I think its RosemaryH that has Anchor threads left from the shop perhaps she has cones as well Worth a try

Found it

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... 99#p478899" target="_blank
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

I've also been wondering about black substitutes and have found that Madeira black covers even better than Anchor in my opinion. You can find them at Barnyards. I haven't found a supplier of Anchor cones who deals with the general public rather than trade, although I'm still looking.

ETA just re-read your original question, sorry for going off on a tangent :oops: . I have a cone of DMC black and I just keep it in a drawer and it seems to be fine. I think cones are exactly the same thread as skeins, just in bulk for people who want to make up kits (or do insane things like stitching HAEDs which require 40 odd skeins of the same colour :lol: )
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
Reta

Post by Reta »

Anchor cones here But cannot see black

http://www.willowfabrics.com/acatalog/S ... offer.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Bargain ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Black-Anch ... 0873751140" target="_blank
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Reta wrote:I think its RosemaryH that has Anchor threads left from the shop perhaps she has cones as well Worth a try

Found it

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... 99#p478899" target="_blank" target="_blank

What a memory you have. I did not have a shop but supplied sewing groups with their stitching needs so same thing really. When I moved to Spain my daughter opened a craft shop so she had all of my cones minus about 50 metres or so of each colour that I brought with me.

The thread on the cones is exactly the same as the skeins as it all comes from the same supplier but as far as I know they only supply to business people but of course this information might well be out of date. Storage is the same too, keep it dry and out of the sun.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Reta

Post by Reta »

Like an elephant at times lol

Knew a shop was involved just got wrong person owning it

Anyway good to see you posting hope you are well :D
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

The quality of DMC has deteriorated terribly.I have very old DMC skeins and the quality is far superior to what is selling today.
I have a big Blackwork piece to do and am thinking of using Anchor as it seems better quality.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

[quote="Stitchinkitty"]The quality of DMC has deteriorated terribly.I have very old DMC skeins and the quality is far superior to what is selling today. quote]

I have thought this as well. It's very disappointing because it means that work will not last through the ages like it should and when you put so much effort and love in your really want it to last and be handed down.
Myst..
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

jocellogirl wrote: (or do insane things like stitching HAEDs which require 40 odd skeins of the same colour :lol: )
Yep, that's me! http://heavenandearthdesigns.com/index. ... ts_id=8470" target="_blank :lol:

Thank you for your help, everyone - I'll take a look at the links.

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

And me... http://heavenandearthdesigns.com/index. ... ts_id=5769" target="_blank

I've been told that Madeira is the best black for coverage by a designer who supplies DMC and Madeira.
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Oh Serinde, that's at the top of my wishlist :D . I'm definitely going to get a cone of black Madeira for my Burden. I've been using the Madeira threads supplied with my Mr Men Bothy Threads kit I've just finished and the coverage of black is exceptional, even on 14 count.
Can't wait to see you start Gandalf :dance: :wub:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I've just got back from buying a couple of skeins of Anchor 403 from Hobbycraft so I can crack on with Adobe White (I'm on his right ear at the moment) over the weekend.http://heavenandearthdesigns.com/index. ... ts_id=5872" target="_blank" target="_blank

Jo, I've never used Madeira but given what your designer friends says, I think I'll take the plunge and order a cone. Thanks for the tip off! :applesauce: :D

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

Can you actually buy Madeira on cones? I have looked and can't find anyone or the price either?
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

You can buy the cones here Glen....... I haven't bought from this supplier before though so can't vouch for them.
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

I have bought from there before and had no complaints....I may get one and sell my dmc Black cone on eBay if I prefer the Madeira (I haven't used any of it yet)
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Wish I had known more about this before I had restarted Burden with Anchor Black. Better than DMC but certainly could even have been better. I will remember for the next time I've got a lot of black to do. My plan is to always have at least 1 LOTR pieces as a WIP. I have mini Eternal Promise but would love to do the others. Does anyone know if you can find Madeira over here? I haven't really looked, but I don't see it at 123Stitch.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

Thanks Amanda, there is always someone here who can come up with the answer to questions. Is the black so much better than DMC and Anchor? and does that go for the other colours too, are they all thicker than Anchor?
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Anyone know if you can get Anchor black (403) in cones? I buy bulk lots from a seller in the UK on EBay and it's pretty inexpensive, but would love to find cones... :)
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Amanda you are truly evilI checked the site and found so many things that I was after apart from the Madeira black floss.
They have the most secure site I have ever encountered.I think I'm in love.
Prices can be shown in your own currency(within reason) and shipping's not too bad.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote:You can buy the cones here Glen....... I haven't bought from this supplier before though so can't vouch for them.
I ordered the cones from them on Saturday and they arrived today. No complaints from me! :applesauce:

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest