Head Question

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

becca001

Head Question

Post by becca001 »

Im doing a HEAD right now and was wondering if those of you who do them page by page, ever notice ridges where the edge of each page is?
carolynbb

Re: Head Question

Post by carolynbb »

Sometimes I see ridges at the edge of pages (I don't do HAEDs yet but my patterns are still page-by-page). When I'm done with a piece, though, and hand wash it at the end, the ridges generally disappear.
WIPs:
Cats! (last updated 3/29/12)
Random projects for baby (last updated 6/9/12)
Engagement photo (last updated 6/9/12)
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

I was wondering the same thing. I am doing my first HAED and I am almost finished the first pages so I'm anxious to start the second page to see what I can notice.

I have a completed Dimensions Gold which I did grid by grid (because at the time I found it easier) and I regret doing it because I can still see the grids - no-one else can or would even notice but I know they're there!
Sara
a happy stitcher

WIP:
HAED "Train of Dreams"
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Whenever possible, I try not to end at a page or block line. I keep going with that color to avoid ridges until the color ends. However in my Chaperon project this simply wasn't feasible because a single color block would extend through two or three full pages without stopping. I do notice some faint ridges where I ended each block, but I'm hoping they will come out once the project is finished and washed.
WIPs (in rotation):
Wolves--(23,226/118,400; 19.62%)
Disneyland Castle
Chaperon of Light--(15,539/200,000; 7.77%)
Hidden Spirits

UFOs:
Free Flight
Cat and Flowers
ohstitcher

Post by ohstitcher »

I tend to do a couple of stitches on the next page just to avoid that problem. For example if I am working down a column and I come to the last stitch I will look at the next page and see if I can find the same symbol. If I am going across and come to the end of that page I will get the next page out and stitch over that page.
Hope that helps
There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man ~ Winston Churchill~
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That's exactly what I do. This method also has the advantage of helping you keep your place on the page -- always a good thing, in my experience :roll:
pixxie

Post by pixxie »

ok, am i being stupid? i've never done a HAED design but i have block stitched patterns before and have never noticed these 'ridges' everyone is talking about,
WIPS:
Dimensions Petite: Beguiling Tiger
Fizzy Moon - Bunny

Future Projects:
Dimensions Petite: Wolf
Dimensions Petite: Leopard Cub

2020 Completed:
Dimensions Petit: Cosy Cub
Trouble and Squeak Mice Series
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Yes you do get slight ridges but they soon fade away.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Ingahaim

Post by Ingahaim »

I do page by page, and wait till one page is finished to start the next one.
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

Pixxie - I don't think you're being stupid. I think that for some people ridges are just more obvious than for others. I guess you also need to factor in things like the type of fabric and floss, the needle size and the amount of tension used when stitching.

If I'm doing a large expanse of one colour I have been known to block stitch and I've only ever noticed 'ridges' once and that was because I ended up with the ends all in similar places. I just find it easier to work with one colour as much as possible now before changing.

I found that any ridges usually disappeared after washing too. I think that we tend to be highly critical of our own work as well - picking up on things that nobody else would (kinda like when you have a spot on your nose - it seems enormous to you but in reality its usually pretty small)

Have you considered parking say one of the colours or continuing past the end of the page for a few stitches if you're afraid of ridges?

Everyone has different styles of stitching and I imagine this is the case for the HAED's (I haven't done one yet). Have a play and see what works best for you and what you feel most comfortable with doing

Good Luck!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys