Help Needed

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Esber

Help Needed

Post by Esber »

I know there have been several post on here about gridding. I have started having some problems with stitching in that I lose my place on the pattern and the material.
I have never gridded before but I think that is probably the only thing that is going to keep me sraight. What is the prefered method of gridding. If I use thread to grid, how hard is it to remove the thread when you are finished?

Found a new stitching store yesterday and of course I had to buy a few things. So I've got lots to do. Just need to figure out a way to not get lost in the work I'm doing.
JennsD

Re: Help Needed

Post by JennsD »

I'm sorry I have no answer for you, but I am also curious. I have never done it before either. We can learn together.
WIP: Wizard of Oz Afghan
FATHER
koko

Post by koko »

I know some people use thread or fishing line to grid, but I prefer to use a fine-point water soluble fabric pen. The pen in the link was fine enough to grid 36 count linen so should work on just about anything. Gridding has helped me out a lot on my bigger projects, I don't bother with it on the small ones. It takes time to do up front but saves a LOT of time later in counting, and also minimizes the mistakes and frogging!
Kim

2011 Projects:

Current:
Floral Hand-Towels
Various Christmas Cards / Presents

Long-Term WIP's:
Chatelaine Hummingbird Mandala
Dunnotar Castle - 23,718 of 60,368 stitches
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

For thread gridding.. some people on here use fishing line rather than regular thread. You can't stitch through fishing line and its relatively easy to pull out when you are done.
For most projects I have worked on, I only stitch my center lines and work out from there.. I have never stitch gridded an entire piece.. I am too impatient for that. But then, I have also never worked on a fully stitched/ HAED type design either.
So far, I have only made one mistake when using a fabric pen.. using it to mark a pattern in which I was not using colorfast thread.. I washed out the markings and the colors of my thread bled onto the fabric.. green and red dye on white fabric.
freelady

Post by freelady »

I've used both thread and fishing line and had no problem removing either. It takes a while to grid a big piece. I do five holes on top and five holes under if that makes sense. It is quicker and more accurate for me to count to five! And I do that both ways so I end up with 10x10 blocks. I certainly helps me count my stitches to keep my place. If I have a lone stitch at 5 across and 3 down in a block, I can find it on my chart quickly.

Hope this helps.
dominique66

Post by dominique66 »

I have the same problem than you do.... I often get lost so I think I should start gridding as well ;-)
clockwork

Post by clockwork »

Most people in the forums who grid seem to do so with water soluble pens but personally that method makes me uncomfortable, maybe because I often use specialty flosses with the potential to bleed and I've used similar pens on cottons for quilting and have had them not wash out entirely, especially if left for a long time, which they would be on a cross stitching project. I don't grid but did try it once as an experiment. I used 2lb test fishing line in Neon Gold because that's what I had around and it worked very well. It did take a while but if you're losing count often on your projects it might be very helpful. I would suggest 2lb test fishing line that can be purchased in any sportsman's shop in a color that will show up on your fabric. Personally, when I did it, I actually counted 8 instead of ten with a blank stitch at each end of the 10X10 block. So basically down any row or column it was "2 under, 8 over, 2 under, 8 over". That way there was no holes with more than one piece of fishing line in them. The five and five thing also sounds like it would work well if you're worried about the counting. Once piece of advice I can definitely give is to count twice! You don't want to do the entire grid and then find out it's off somewhere and have to search for it or even worse, not notice and end up with errors in your stitching!
~Clockwork~

Cute Stuff! http://www.etsy.com/shop/ClockworkStitcher" target="_blank" target="_blank"

WIPs
House Mouse series
Frog Pile
Dimensions Gold Collection Aurora Cabin (on hold)
CheyennePony

Post by CheyennePony »

I use this fabric pencil: http://www.cross-patch.co.uk/accessories.htm" target="_blank
I've found it works really well for me.

I've also found that marking off the stitches I've done on the chart helps me keep my place.
Like_Fine_VVine

Post by Like_Fine_VVine »

I grid....I've used floss so far with no problem removing, but I am going to try the fishing line to see if I can just gently pull it out. With the floss, you have to be careful not to stitch through it (especially on the front, who cares on the back ;) lol) but its not difficult or time consuming to clip out when finished.

The pen - that scares me! So haven't tried that and probably won't. I only grid horizontal, I don't do the vertical lines. And I grid to match the chart, so 10x10 blocks for most of it but I do whatever the chart has for the top and sides if they aren't perfect 10x10s.
~~~~~~~ :toast: ~~~~~~~
WIPs
A Treasured Time
2010 Completed Projects

"Summer Breeze" - Paula Vaughn (Aug)
"Brighter Tomorrows" - Breast Cancer Awareness Sampler (Sep)
"Rooster" (Oct)
Esber

Post by Esber »

It sounds like the best way to go is with fishing line. Since I fish, I've got plenty line around the house. Thanks for your help.

The other question I have is about stitching frames. I have always used a hoop (the same one since I started stitching many years ago) Since I have some arthirits in my hands I'm trying to decide what kind of frame would be best. Do you have any recommendatons on frames?
Like_Fine_VVine

Post by Like_Fine_VVine »

I love my wooden scroll with the lap frame attachment. The scroll gives me a wide surface to work on (its about 24" wide and about 12" high working space) and then the scroll attaches to legs that let it sit over my lap or sit on a desk. This leaves both hands free for stitching and you don't have to take it off the frame while its a WIP like you need to do with the hoop as it leaves no lines on the work and doesn't smash threads that are already complete if you advance the work. Basically you just roll the fabric up where you've already stitched and work on your next blank section.

I know I've seen some people talk about their Q-Snap frames here and it seems that's more like a hoop in the easiness to remove the work and re-position the frame to other sections and/or use the frame for multiple WIPs; it also has a lap stand attachment.

I think the answer to the arthritis issue is definitely to find a system that allows you not to have to hold your work, whether you choose to go with the scroll or the Q-Snap.
WIPs
A Treasured Time
2010 Completed Projects

"Summer Breeze" - Paula Vaughn (Aug)
"Brighter Tomorrows" - Breast Cancer Awareness Sampler (Sep)
"Rooster" (Oct)
franacropan

Post by franacropan »

I grid with sulky metallic sewing thread. It can't be split with a needle, and so I can stitch right up against it if I wish. When I used to use dmc for gridding, I had to snip it away before I stitched up to it, in case I caught it with my needle. I still snip the metallic away but I can leave a lot more of it in situ, thus preserving the benefit of gridding.
thatrabbitgirl

Post by thatrabbitgirl »

Thanks to those who included links to the fabric pens and pencils they use! I have been thinking about gridding, too, and it's so helpful to know what fabric pens and pencils people have had good results with. Thanks! :D
--Alice :bunny:

WIPs
1. Santa and Snowman Ornaments (Dimensions Kit)
2. Anhinga Blues (RK Portfolio)
3. William Morris Rabbits (Artecy)

2011 Finishes
1. Easter scissors fob
stitchiemom

Post by stitchiemom »

Just remember seasoned stitchers get lost also. I remember stitching with my mom (who used to be a model stitcher for CS&CC) when out of the blue she would say "help, I'm lost".... :lol:
Hope

WIP
HAED Wolves Peak
Garden of Eden
Magnificent Wizard

2012 Completed
Wedding Record
Ingahaim

Post by Ingahaim »

I haven't gridded yet, but at the moment, I still don't feel like gridding.
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

Esber wrote:It sounds like the best way to go is with fishing line. Since I fish, I've got plenty line around the house. Thanks for your help.

The other question I have is about stitching frames. I have always used a hoop (the same one since I started stitching many years ago) Since I have some arthirits in my hands I'm trying to decide what kind of frame would be best. Do you have any recommendatons on frames?
I use Q-snaps more most projects and until recently, without any stand. Just bought a lap stand, which holds Q-snaps and othr frames and I quite like it.

You can see some here but they're available from many suppliers.
http://www.stitchitcentral.ca/mm5/merch ... _Code=STAN
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
Esber

Post by Esber »

Wandatoo, thanks for the link. I like the lap stand because it looks like it won't take up much room.