New to forum

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

suehoward59

New to forum

Post by suehoward59 »

:P Hi all my name is susan, i am in uk and live in a nice part called lake district and i am new to this forum and i have been doing my cross stitch for the last 2 yrs and it is big but i am getting going with it again. I would llike to know what other people would use when doing a large cross stitch and wether it is easier to use one needle or have lots of needles with different threads. thanks again for your help sue x
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum. I know you'll get lots of good insight.

As for me, I tend to do larger pieces with many colors but historically I stitch with one and maybe one or two to the side. I finally bought a needle organizer for one particular piece that has alot of colors and it verges on confetti style stitching. I have yet to set it up though I know if I planned ahead and threaded a bunch it would go much faster. One stitcher posted that they thread several with the same color and can really move along.
mags

Post by mags »

Hello Sue and welcome

I prefer to do small pictures although I have just finished one that is a bit bigger than my norm. I only use one needle at a time - I did try once with another needle on the go but I don't use a frame and I couldn't get on with having another needle in the way :?

What are you currently working on ?
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Hi Sue and a big welcome from East Anglia!

Love the Lake District!!! :D :D :D Took the kids camping there at Hawkshead a few years ago, one of the best family holidays we've ever had! :D :D :D

I'm a one-needle gal no matter what the size of a project. I tend to follow colour blocks and then change to another colour and follow that as far as I can. With cats and kids etc, I'd never be able to keep the needles straight! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :kitty:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Hello Sue and welcome from me too.
I tend to use one needle and re-thread each time BUT just recently I did have several needles threaded up for a large project I was doing. It worked well as long as the colours weren't too similar! :wink: :wink: I just stabbed them into a pin-cushion.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Welcome Sue!
I'm a new stitcher so I can't really offer too much advice, butI've already found that it depends entirely on the piece and the person as to how many needles you use. For the piece I'm doing at the moment I've had to use two neeles, but I much prefer to only use one when that's possable.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome from the ever-soggy West of Scotland.

I am a serial needle user on big projects if I have something like a pako organiser. Otherwise I am guaranteed to confuse my shades. However, be wary of the perils of having three big projects on the go at the same time. There's only so much one organiser can deal with... (now WHO can I be thinking of... :oops: :oops: )
Stitchindude

Post by Stitchindude »

Welcome Sue! Big project with lots of colors, I use lots of needles! I hate having to thread and unthread a needle all day. Takes up too much time! Be sure to join in on all the fun stuff on the forum too!

:) :D :) :D :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :D
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hello Sue,
I'm new to the forum as well, but I've already had alot of help and adice. I think you'll love it here!
:D
Alexanie

Post by Alexanie »

A warm Hello from Austria, Sue!

I'm a one needle stitcher, too. I start with one colour and change for the next to finish blocks.

You'll find a lot of help and advice, here.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

I have found that each stitcher is different and what works for one does not work for the other. I use a single needle on my larger projects but sometimes the smaller ones I have used two or more. Just so I know where the stitches need to go. You will discover what works for you the best.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Welcome Susan. What a beautiful part of the country you live in.

I tend to use one needle most of the time, but do have a Pako Organiser for large projects. It certainly saves time threading and re-threading. If you use more than one needle it's important - as Serinde said - to be very careful that your shades are clearly identified. Some people don't use an organiser, but stitch a section then 'park' their needles at the edge of the fabric, ready for the next section in that colour. Hope this helps somewhat. :D
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Hi Susan, welcome to the forum.
I am mostly a one needle woman, but on occasions when I have lots of the same color I thread up more needles, I have never had different colors parked in needles.
I did buy a DMC organizer a while back to see if I would like it, There seems to be a problem with them as the needle came out covered with goo, I contacted DMC and the lady I spoke to tested one and found it had the same problem.
I assume the problem was sorted but I would probably buy a Pako as many people seem to get on well with them.
Jilly
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I have a small magnetic organiser too. Just a magnet on a strip of cardboard. A tip from Coffee-Freak I have to give her the credit for that one. :D :D :D Then I write in pencil the no of the thread.
lilfragrance

Post by lilfragrance »

hi sue! big welcome from singapore!
suehoward59

Thanks

Post by suehoward59 »

A big thankyou to you all as i have now got the encouragement to go ahead and get going withthis project. I will also do a smallone so i dont get too bored with it. I will also try and add a picture to but not sure where to put it and try and show you how i progress . lots of love and chat soon sue xxx
agi

Post by agi »

Hello, Susan, welcome from Hungary. As the others have already said this forum is a wonderful place, and you will get a lot of help - I certainly did!
I myself only use one needle, but would be glad to learn other ways, so right now I'm off to search the net for some pictures of these organizers. :)
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You can either post in the stitch-a-long section or create a gallery.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Welcome