A very large cross stitch piece

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ann_

A very large cross stitch piece

Post by Ann_ »

How do you tackle a very large cross stitch piece?
Slinky

Re: A very large cross stitch piece

Post by Slinky »

Slowly.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry. That wasn't helpful, but I couldn't resist.

I would :
- use an online cross-stitch calculator to accurately determine the size of fabric. You don't want to run out (as I did once ...)
- grid the fabric
- probably start at the top left rather than the centre, HAED-stylee
- tackle it in sections.
- use a q-snap frame if the fabric were too big for a scroll frame
- reward yourself regularly for completing smaller areas
- have something small on the go at the same time to do when you just can't face the larger project, to help prevent "project fatigue" (made-up term but you know what I mean)

Hope this helps.
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Slinky wrote:Slowly.
:lol: :lol:
:lol: :D

Seriously, if you're starting out on a big project do be prepared for it to take a long time and much much longer than if you're used to small/medium projects. I'd say first and foremost pick a design you love - you're going to be doing this a long time so you need the motivation to keep going.

Second, do whatever you're comfortable with by way of stitching. Personally I stitch in hand and don't grid even for big projects. But you'll find lots of people here who would never dream of stitching without some sort of frame/qsnap/hoop and gridding. It's really up to you what you feel comfortable with. Don't persist with something if you're not comfortable just because you think it's how a big project should be done. There are many ways to do it and whichever way you choose you'll end up with a beautiful result.

Third, don't set yourself a deadline - it'll just panic you and remove enjoyment. Do it as and when you feel like it. For some people a smaller project on the go as well can help - or even rotation of several very large projects :shock: . For others, one project is all they want - try things out to see what works for you, especially if you find the big one starting to drag.

Fourth in preparation terms definitely make sure you have enough fabric, including a framing allowance too! Also before you start make sure you've got all your floss sorted for that project in your preferred method. It can really be quite irritating when you get half way through a page only to find that you've forgotten one colour which you either have to delve into your bigger stash for, or worst of all, actually have to go and buy before you can continue.

Fifth, don't keep looking ahead at all the pages you have left to do or comparing each night with the finished picture - that can be quite demoralising! Tackle each page separately and maybe look back at the finished picture if you want to once you've done a page and you can then see some obvious progress.

Hmm, I think that's about it for now. What project are you thinking of starting?
Ann_

Post by Ann_ »

Lessa54 wrote:What project are you thinking of starting?
What is a really hard question. I have now the urgency to do something large. And at the other side a little afraid. I am thinking about some scenery. And it is difficult to decide what exactly I want... :x
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

hmmm I dunno if I can add anything else. What helps me most is to take each page as it's own accomplishment. That really helps me
Faith
Pengwenn

Post by Pengwenn »

Narrow your focus on the project. Instead of looking at the whole picture focus in on just one page of the pattern. If you start looking at what you've done against the whole project you'll get disapointed with how much progress (or the way you'll see it as lack of progress) your making on the whole thing. By only looking at a page you can see your progress and get a sense of accomplishment when you complete a page. And there's no better feeling than "completing" a project.....even if it is only one page.
current project rotation:
Twilight Balloon Flight
The Accolade
Faces of Faery 89
Dad's Flower Pot
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

The only thing I can add, or rather confirm to what has already been said, is to find a project that is going to have some meaning to you.

People on here will remember that my first large project was one that Sylvia had just started and that gave me the incentive to finish it, a labour of love one might say. Again, the next large one was a poject that I knew she wanted to do. Both of these kept me occupied for about a year each.

Enjoy!! :lol: :lol:
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
koko

Post by koko »

I would agree with everyone who has posted so far, but have to emphasize what Slinky and Lessa said about making sure you set goals for yourself by page to keep your motivation. Also, like Slinky suggested, I have found it very helpful to rotate my large project with smaller projects so that I feel like I have accomplished something!
Kim

2011 Projects:

Current:
Floral Hand-Towels
Various Christmas Cards / Presents

Long-Term WIP's:
Chatelaine Hummingbird Mandala
Dunnotar Castle - 23,718 of 60,368 stitches
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

what everyone else said..and the most important..make sure you are really into it!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

How big is big? whatever size make sure that you really love the design, grid your fabric, you will thank so many people for saying this once you have started on it, it really is that worth it, honest. and last but not least, don't worry about how long it takes just enjoy the journey, at the end of it you will have something that you will be very, very proud and happy with.
Happy Stitching
Glen x
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Ann_ wrote:
Lessa54 wrote:What project are you thinking of starting?
What is a really hard question. I have now the urgency to do something large. And at the other side a little afraid. I am thinking about some scenery. And it is difficult to decide what exactly I want... :x
Look forward to seeing what you settle on - there are loads of great sites out there with many styles of big projects from HAED through to nature/ famous art type pieces.

Don't be afraid though - the stitches don't change with size, it's still do one leg and then cross it with another, it's just you have to do rather more of them with a big one.
MrsMooCow1974

Post by MrsMooCow1974 »

Keep focussing on the bits you are doing rather than the big picture. I get very scared when look at size of fabric for wrath, but when look at what done its not to bad.