Can anybody help me...

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

angela54

Can anybody help me...

Post by angela54 »

hi all.... this is the first time ive been in here since threadbare stitched her flying owls.... :cry: i really love cross stitching.. so WHY have i lost all interest in it....
ive hardly picked it up in the last year... prefering to spend my time on here!!!
can anybody help re-vamp me :( or am i a lost cause.... do you lose interest, if so what inspires you to pick it up again....
MaggieM1750

Re: Can anybody help me...

Post by MaggieM1750 »

When I lose interest.. its usually because I do not have the time, or my design has lost its appeal. I just stop stitching for a while.. look through design websites, flip through some magazines.. switch what I am working on. It comes back eventually, and I pick it up exactly where I left off. I have gone years without stitching.
andrea42

Post by andrea42 »

Have you tried starting something new? Or pulling out something small? I hadnt stitched for over pry 5 yrs lost interest even though I loved watching the designs evolve. I also crochet so that is what seemed to be calling my name at the time. Then I went back to stitching and the past year and a half that is what i mostly do and cant seem to want to get in the crochet groove at all. When im down and out i start something new, this is my year of guilt free stitching so all is good. As far as spending my time on here, I work alot during the day and on the weekends so when i come home I unwind by getting on and make sure that I am off here by 8pm or 9pm at the very latest and I stitch I know that way im at least getting 2 or 3 hrs of stitching time in most nights. I dont get to stitch every night so the time that i do helps me to stay focused on whatever i may be stitching.
daydrmsgrl

Post by daydrmsgrl »

I agree- sometimes I go through phases where I am more interested in stitching than other times. I usually have a few projects going so that if I get tired of one I can pick up on a different one. This keeps me going for awhile. Plus I also search the web for new different designs to buy or just look at and that inspires me to keep going.
WIP- HAED- Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater
Soon to start- HAED- Ships and Shells
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

People are perverse, you know. Offer red, and they want blue. Don't force stitching if you aren't interested at the moment, but I would certainly have a look at everyone's galleries. Maybe something will inspire you. What are you doing at the moment for a creative outlet? Might it be enough at the moment? (Although don't think for a moment you can just waltz off and leave us here on the forum all by ourselves!) :P
maggs

Post by maggs »

I had a no stitching time for about a month last year. I had a deadline to meet for the item I was stitching so did not feel I could start something new. I did a few stitches at a time and this gradually built up until I was doing an hour and so on.
The problem when you have little or no interest in stitching is the errors that can be made and then you get more discouraged when you have to frog it out.

If you can find something that realy catches your imagination and stich that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
Rose

Post by Rose »

Just don't push it or you really will lose all interest. Let it rest and just keep watching others it will inspire you eventually. :grouphug:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

Over the past 28 years I have stopped stitching several times for over a year at a time. What helped me regain interest was just watching someone else stitch or looking at cross stitch magazines. Looking at cross stitch forums and blogs have helped the most.
Pam
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Like many here, I've lost interest previously for periods of time. The last time was for about 3 months just over a year ago. I just went with it though and kept my project in its usual place by the side of the sofa until one evening I felt like doing a little bit and before I knew it, I was back stitching as much as I could. Don't force it but do keep the project visible and do keep visiting here - stitchy chat can really help I think as well as all the inspiration from everyone's projects and ideas.
Granny

Post by Granny »

Can you imagine how much I would have stitched in 60 years if that had been my only interest? I've had many ups and downs, spells of no action. In fact, I can relate to quite a few seven year spans when I didn't do a single cross. Then one day something would spark my interest and I would be back for a few years until it again took a rest. I have never let it bother me. I have short spans of no interest in all hobbies and some get relegated to the "been there, done that" status. Others keep resurfacing. I remember years of reading for pleasure non-stop and not doing any hand work. Seeing something made by someone else would eventually take me in a new direction or revisit an old one. Variety is the spice of life. Even currently, though cross stitch has a lot of my attention, quilting is fighting just as hard for that time.

So go with the flow. If you truly enjoy stitching the will to do it will return. Meanwhile immerse yourself in some other pleasure.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Like everyone, I have times of just not being bothered or not interested. If you can't find inspiration but really want to, I think doing something small but challenging might help.
Like if you've never tried blackwork but always wanted to, do a small piece. Or maybe you've always fancied making a biscornu, but never got round to it ... try one. I have even found just the act of stitching itself, when it's something small and you're going to get a quickish result, can stimulate interest again, but if you really can't get going, don't worry, just chill on here with us and wait for the itchy 'I need to stitch' mood to hit again when it's ready!
:grouphug:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

I agree with what's already been said. Don't fret about it, use the time to idly browse xs sites and blogs, and soon enough you'll stumble across something to spark your interest. It's a hobby, for pleasure, never let it become a chore - we all have too many of those!!
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Many ups and downs here too..I have only just got my stitchy mojo back from yet another slump..some last just a week or so..other times I have been months without a stitch.
I find that I reach a 'sticky' time when I am working on a project..it seems I am getting nowhere fast...that's my danger point..once past that I tend to go nuts on it again, my BoInk project suffered that fate, but It's done now :dance:
Make sure your stitching is easy to get to if you feel the urge..if you need to search for everything it's too much like hard work.
nettie

Post by nettie »

No I wouldn't worry about it I have phases where I just cannot find the will or the want to pick up my stitching sometimes its days, sometimes weeks and a couple of times it was years! The bug will come back and with a vengeance!!
Happy Stitcher

Post by Happy Stitcher »

I agree, you shouldn't worry about it, you will go back to your stitching in time. You won't have lost your stitching bug forever, it's just taking a rest right now. :)

Sue :)