Need a frame for a large project, can anyone help?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

coastertoaster

Need a frame for a large project, can anyone help?

Post by coastertoaster »

Ordered all the canvas and wools to do a William Morris rug. The design size is 42 inch by 42 inch and I am looking at having a work fabric or 47 inch by 47 inch. I need a frame to put it on as I physically will not beable to sit that that amount of canvas. Does anayone know where I can get one from, prefer a floor stand. Went looking to day and biggest I could see in shops was only big enough to hold a 36 inch canvas. Please help anyone, as fingers are itching as want to get it started. Many thanks
Busy_B

Re: Need a frame for a large project, can anyone help?

Post by Busy_B »

If you have a frame that can take dowel rods, you can sometimes pick up 4' lengths of dowels. I know it doesn't give much play room though. I'm currently using 36" dowels on my scroll frame, and DH has made several other sizes for me. I hope you can find something that will work for you!
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Granny

Post by Granny »

I would use a QSnap floor frame and get the tilt legs as well. Is it a hooking rug you are doing? If so I wouldn't attempt it with my wooden cross stitch floor frame because of the weight.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
coastertoaster

Post by coastertoaster »

It is a tapestry rug that I am doing not a hook one. the design is 42inch square and the canvas that I am doing it on is 47 inch square. Other than spending over £200 on a Lowery workroom stand I am looking at having to do a re think. thanks for your advice. Anyone else got any ideas?