Petit Point . . .

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kkwalrus

Petit Point . . .

Post by kkwalrus »

Hello,

I have always admired antique petit point but don't know much about it nor can I find a book about it. Is it minature cross stitch or minature needlepoint? Has anyone around here ever done any?

walrus
Granny

Re: Petit Point . . .

Post by Granny »

Miniature needlepoint with one strand of floss but I do not know the size of the "canvas." I believe it is silk. I had a friend 40 years ago who did a lot of it. I always admired it but never had the desire to do work that fine. I did receive a few items as gifts. One was a letter opener with the tiny insert like on a collector spoon with a tiger lily.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

Granny:Thank you for the information. I still find it funny that books specifically on the subject don't seem to exist or at least I cannot find any. Someone once mentioned to me that "petit point" went by another name. I have the wrong spelling therefore am coming up with nothing when I google something like "goblin"?

It is done on a silk gauze canvas I believe as fine as 32 mesh, yikes :shock:
Midge

Post by Midge »

You can find some petit point charts on the HAED website. They are done on 40ct fabric.
Mabel is probably the best person to answer your questions as she works on high count fabric but she is a little snowed under just now.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

Midge: Thank you kindly!!!
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

Check out Gitta's Needlework for some info on petit point, at http://www.gittas.com/" target="_blank

Click on FAQs and Information, then in Petit Point.

I also googled "gobelin stitch" and found a few sites. Try this one.

http://www.artsanddesigns.com/cgi-bin/m ... &section=G" target="_blank
Wandatoo

"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

Wandatoo: Am well acquainted with Gitta's and have printed off the info. Thank you! Will possibly take a class in petit point there in the spring.
kathryn

Post by kathryn »

for some reason I think Mabel would be the one who knows about this.. but it might just because she stitches on silk gauze :roll:
ImageImageImageImage
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

kkwalrus wrote:Wandatoo: Am well acquainted with Gitta's and have printed off the info. Thank you! Will possibly take a class in petit point there in the spring.
So you're in or near Mississauga! Wish there was a store like that near Collingwood . . . :(
Wandatoo

kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

So you're in or near Mississauga! Wish there was a store like that near Collingwood . . . :([/quote]

Actually, I am way out in the east end and Gitta's is way out in the west. It's a lengthy journey but worth it. Stitchery stores as well stocked as Gitta's have vanished in my end of the woods. I too wish there was a store like that near me :(
kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

kathryn: Thank you! Will keep an eye out for Mabel.
Wandatoo

Post by Wandatoo »

[quote="kkwalrus Actually, I am way out in the east end and Gitta's is way out in the west. It's a lengthy journey but worth it. Stitchery stores as well stocked as Gitta's have vanished in my end of the woods. I too wish there was a store like that near me :([/quote]

When I lived in Toronto, there was one on Brown's Line, called the Sampler. Not sure if it's still there, but if so, it might be closer for you.
Wandatoo

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

kathryn wrote:for some reason I think Mabel would be the one who knows about this.. but it might just because she stitches on silk gauze :roll:
No, I do occasionally stitch on other things as well :-)

For books on miniature embroidery you could try Elizabeth Anderson's or Brenday Keyes' books, bith very informative with lots of designs and good tips and info. The fabrics used are mostly silk gauze, linen and other evenweaves.

I've stitched over on on linen/evenweave up to 36ct, and silk gauze up to 60ct, and they each have their advantages and disadvantages; if you have specific questions about them do ask, either here or in a pm, and I'll do my best to help!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

Mabel: Thank you so much for letting me know about the books and ask some questions. Both books are exactly along the lines I was hoping for.

Is the silk gauze delicate? One of the things that has caused me to shy away from it is the thought of it being very delicate to handle while working on it. What is the lowest count silk gauze comes in?

I purchased some 22 count & 18 count mono canvas to give it a go for a first wee project. The 18 count is really stiff I will likely use the 22 count. What size needle and how many strands of floss would you suggest for the 22 count?
Mabel Figworthy

Your welcome :-). I've not worked on canvas, but for 22ct I'd probably use 2 strands for cross stitch and 3 or 4 for tent stitch/petit point, depending on the depth of coverage you are looking for.

Silk gauze is a lot sturdier than it looks -- it is woven interlocked so it doesn't fray, and it doesn't distort. Because the silk threads are so thin, the holes are a lot easier to see than on an evenweave of the same count: 40ct linen over one is a lot more difficult than 40ct silk gauze. On the downside -- the relatively large holes do mean that any trailed theads are extrememly visible, so you have to fasten on and off a bit more often.

It is relatively expensive, but then you tend to use very small pieces anyway. To work it you will have to mount it on card mount or a small wooden frame -- I usually attach it using masking tape or double-sided tape. You can see the frame I use here (you may have to scroll down a bit)

The lowest count for silk gauze that I've found is 32ct, and it goes up to 110ct -- a good supplier is Janet Granger.

Hope that helps!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

Thank you Mabel!

Hope you don't mind a few more questions . . .

If using 32 silk gauze what type of needle and size needle would you use?
If using floss how many strands would you use?

With your mention of "trailed theads are extrememly visible" does that mean spot motif type designs are only done on silk gauze or can you do designs where you completely fill in the background as well?

Won't ask more after this. Appreciate your time.
Mabel Figworthy

Ask away, please -- I may not always be able to answer immediately (or at all!) but I'll always try.

On 32ct gauze you can use a 28ct needle (probably a 26 would work as well) and 1 strand of stranded cotton. On 40ct, a 28 needle and one strand of stranded cotton, with coverage being thicker. On 60ct, an applique beading needle and thin silk thread like a single strand of Eterna, or Pipers 90 Floss.

When I mentioned trailing threads I should have said "threads trailed behind unstitched areas". Anything that covers the background completely is fine -- in fact it is only when you use spot motifs that you can run into difficulties if you need to take the thread from one motif to the next and the bit in between isn't stitched. In that case you would need to fasten off and on again for each separate motif.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kkwalrus

Post by kkwalrus »

Once again thank you Mabel! I ordered that book on miniature embroidery you suggested. The library didn't have it and it was so reasonably priced I couldn't resist. Now I just need to find the time.