o/t crochet (the art of)

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

crafterglen

Re: o/t crochet (the art of) - ***HAPPY DANCE***

Post by crafterglen »

Hi Lorna,
I too hope that the magazine continues as I really do want to master the art of crochet! Thanks to a lot of effort from the girls here they are keeping us up with the magazine problems, being a subscriber I only have issue 1,2 and three so far even though issue 5 was in the shops last week, I feel a phone call or e.mail for tomorrow?
Your squares are fine as far as I can see, I love the last one, I haven't done that one yet, I found that my shell square seemed rather loose compared to the first one but will give it another go, at least the squares don't take long to crochet and I can always unravel them!
Good luck
Glen x
twinkleberry

Post by twinkleberry »

Glen - T's + C's on the right hand side of this page: http://www.theartofcrochet.com/terms_conditions" target="_blank , under the claret "subscribe" icon, (specifically the 5th bulletpoint) states: "...•Thereafter you will receive 4 issues packed together every four weeks..."

Hope this helps
x x x x x x x x x
Love, Twinkles
x x x x x x x x x

http://honeyishrunk.blogspot.com

Rose

Post by Rose »

Lorna the squares look great!!!! :applesauce:

Crafterglen the shell stitching really should feel a bit looser then the firt square just because of the design.

The 3rd square is what I always new stitchers on as it is the easiest one to grasp.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
agi

Post by agi »

Can I have a question? (Not the magazine, just crochet in general)

I have done a piece with the shell pattern, and now want to finish it off, but the edges are kind of wavy - as the pattern itself. Do you leave it like that or is there a type of stitch you use to finish it off straight? If you are going to put it together for a blanket, it should be straight, shouldn't it?
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

If the pattern ends in a wavy edge, I generally "neaten it up" with a row of stitches of varying length, in one of two ways:

1. If there are very clear highs and lows (like with a shell or fan pattern), I will stitch a double or treble crochet on a low poit, then a few chain stitches until I get to the high point, do a single crochet there, then more chain stitch to get "above" the low point, where I do another double or treble crochet.

Here is a picture to try and make sense of it -- the bead represents a single crochet:

2. The other option is to fill in all the gaps by stitching a treble crochet on the lowest point, then a double on the next, a half-double on the next, a single on the top and the whole thing in mirror image down the other side of the fan. This will also work for irregular edges as you just adjust the length of the stitch to how low the underlying stitch is.

Hope that helps!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Rose

Post by Rose »

Great explanation Mabel I usually do the first example to straighten out a square.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

wow crafter glen you got 2&3??:shock: im still waiting for them, i phoned up to comaplian about the lack of issues, when tb posted about the leaflet in the mag to say they were cancelling, and they said 2 weeks ill recieve 2&3, but nothing yet.

im gonna phone up tomorrow and cancel it, like tb, i am not impressed with thier customer service, and apart from the free subscriber gifts, i feel i get nothing from subscribing. with stitchy mags, you get the mag a week before it hits the shops. the guys that bought from shop is on issue 5 maybe 6, and im still waiting for issue 2!!!!
agi

Post by agi »

Thanks for the explanation, Mabel. The problem is, I only know single and double crochet yet, and those only in the US version - so I will start to learn the others first :) then straighten my edge.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Issue 6 comes out this Wednesday Lisa.
I don't blame you for cancelling your subscription, I don't think they're fair to the subscribers at all.
I've still had no reply to my email and nothing back from the one they were taking further and looking into either.
Seems a bit of a wash out to me :(
I might get a couple more issues ... but then again maybe not. I'm thinking now that I can get good tutorials online for nothing!
:thinks:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Rose

Post by Rose »

benceagi wrote:Thanks for the explanation, Mabel. The problem is, I only know single and double crochet yet, and those only in the US version - so I will start to learn the others first :) then straighten my edge.

Agi all of the stitches that Mabel said are the American versions of the stitches or at least that was how I read it.

A half double stitch- yarn over the hook once, insert the hook into the center of the stitch front to back and draw up a loop.(Be sure to go through both loops of the stitch) This should leave 3 loops on your hook. Yarn over the hook once again and draw the yarn through all three loops. This should make 1 half double crochet.

A triple stitch (Treble)- yarn over the hook twice then insert the hook through the stitch front to back and pull through a loop.(Be sure to go through both loops of the stitch) This should make 4 loops on your hook. Yarn over the hook and draw the yarn through the first two loops on the hook This will leave 3 loops on the hook. Yarn over the hook and draw the yarn through the next 2 loops on the hook. This will then leave 2 loops on the hook. Yarn over the hook and pull the thread through the last 2 loops and you have made a Triple or Treble crochet.

I wish tere was a way for me to make a video of this for you but I just don't have that ability.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I think I've put up either sites or links wth tutorials and good graphics showing how to do those stitches.
http://www.anniesattic.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
has a section on how to's.

(click on "Stitch Guide", then "Crochet Lessons".)
HTH!
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

Thanks for reading what I should have read Twinkleberry, I am always telling my OH to read the instructions!
Lisa you should have had yur part 2 and 3 a couple of weeks ago, maybe got lost in the post - again! I subscribed because they do take these magazines off the shelves and you can only get them that way but as has been said it looks like they may stop it anyway, pity because I am learning this time, have to say Hada that Annies attic is a great web site, we need more like that over here.
Glen x
agi

Post by agi »

Rose, thanks for the explanation, it was wonderful, and firt time in my life I actually did understand them, and could picture them in my mind.... perhaps because have learned those two stitches. :)
Hada, thank you also for the site, it has great tutorials... Threadbear, I think you are right, there are so much good stuff online that it is not worth paying for a magazine that is not really perfect...

I am glad, it seems, I will learn to crochet after all. :lol: :x:

Thank you all, for the inspiration and for all the help. :wub:
Agi

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Well issue 6 is here, so it was definately some kind of mistake in issue 5 with those notices. Probably won't get many more, as still not convinced it won't fold on us again at some point. :thinks:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
hada56

Post by hada56 »

you're welcome!
hada56

Post by hada56 »

another site for learning how to crochet:
http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
agi

Post by agi »

Thank you, Hada! :wub:
Agi

My blog
stitchingmae

Re: o/t crochet (the art of)

Post by stitchingmae »

i so want to learn how to crochet..but i need to master xs first!!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

:shock: A reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Subject: The Art of Crochet.

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Please disregard of the notice that you have received as the items you have received is from publication from last year, however, all information still stays the same.

We are not suspending publication and you could look forward to collecting approximately 120 issues.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require further assistance.

Yours faithfully

Elsje Ferreira-Scheepers

Customer care consultant

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
maggs

Post by maggs »

Wow TB 120 issues, thats a lot of money.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards