Crochet

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ceitidh

Crochet

Post by Ceitidh »

Have never tried crochet in my life but watched a few videos on you tube and quite fancy having a go. I had a look for crochet hooks online and will look for somewhere that also sells wool but I have no idea what is the best thing to buy to start with.

I would like to start off with the square and maybe attempt a scarf if I can pick it up. Can anybody advise me what size of hook to get and what type of wool as I really have no idea what I am doing :oops:
WIP

Dimensions Gold Pleasures of Winter
Dimensions Gold Candy Cane Santa
Anchor Winter Sun

www.albastitcher.blogspot.co.uk
My Facebook
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Crochet

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hi Ceitidh, although books will often tell you the "correct" size of hook and thickness of wool for a particular project/design, I've always found that you can do pretty much what you like as long as you're happy with the result! So for example, the shawl I crocheted for my mother last year used what in Dutch is know as baby wool (I think it's the one that is one degree thinner than double knitting -- 4-ply?) but used a no.7 hook (I hope the numbers are the same in England...) which is normally used for much much thicker wool (the paper around my wool suggested a no.3 :-)) which made the work much airier and lighter (and also a lot quicker!).

Generally I'd say the more detailed and subtle a pattern, the thinner the wool, but otherwise just get a wool you like, a small selection of hooks (they're fortunately not that expensive), and do a sample bit with each combination of wools and hooks to see which one works for you.

Good luck!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
freelady

Post by freelady »

The smaller the hook the tighter the result will be. Your hook needs to be big enough to 'hold' the wool or thread you are using. A tiny hook won't be any use on wool because it will only catch one strand, if you see what I mean. But you can use a bigger hook than your thread and get a loose airy look. And all that also depends on tension, how tight or loose you make your stitches.

I'd just find a wool you like and then choose a hook that looks big enough and start to play. You can always get another hook if you aren't happy with your first choice.

Enjoy.
Dammetje

Post by Dammetje »

I find using cotton instead of wool easier to crochet, the hook doesn't catch that easy. But you can use anything like others said. On the package of the thread the needle size will be given, both for knitting as for crochet. I knit very thight so I normally use a size up for knitting. With crochet I use the size recommended for the thread unless I want a really loose structure.
Ceitidh

Post by Ceitidh »

Thanks for the advice - I see on ebay you can buy a 'set' of hooks with a variety of sizes so in the absence of a nearby craft shop think I will go for that - nice and colourful too :D
WIP

Dimensions Gold Pleasures of Winter
Dimensions Gold Candy Cane Santa
Anchor Winter Sun

www.albastitcher.blogspot.co.uk
My Facebook
hada56

Post by hada56 »

er....just saw this post.. :doh:
anyway, how did you get on with the crochet hooks? Have you tried crocheting a sample? I would do what Mabel said, not everyone crochets with the same tension.
There are many sites with free crochet patterns on the net, so you're spoiled for choice! HTH!