Louise's fudge

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

burgundyice

Louise's fudge

Post by burgundyice »

So...
My Mum has always been able to make lovely crumbly "grainy" fudge - I prefer it this way compared to the squidgy stuff you buy - and decided I ought to acquire this important life skill for myself!
A couple of weeks ago I got the recipe from her and had a try, well I was there standing over the pan for AGES and all I was left with was a kind of liquid fudge sauce... which would have been fine, except I really wanted fudge, and in a vain attempt I put it in the fridge overnight to try and make it set.... needless to say it didn't work and had to throw the stuff away :oops:
I scoured the internet and decided I must have used too much liquid/not enough sugar, so when I got an evening to myself I made up my own recipe and was thrilled with the result!!! :D
Dark, caramel-y, crumbly yummy fudge!! I took a photo for posterity :D

So here is my recipe... (rough measurements only sorry :roll: )
- Almost a whole 500g bag of caster sugar
- Less than quarter of a large tin of evaporated milk (the full-size tin, not the half-size)
- About half a tablespoon of Stork margarine

Method:
Melt the sugar & evaporated milk together in a saucepan (mine is just a small milk pan)
Keep it stirring & moving at all times! - Some of the internet recipes said not to stir it at all - in which case it would surely stick to the pan & burn!?
Once all melted in, add the margarine & melt in
Mixture starts to bubble, turn darker and smell like real fudge! (this never happened with my failed attempt because there was too much liquid in it) It also expands in size (almost boiled over my little pan :oops: )
After about 15/20 mins, test it by dropping some into a bowl of cold water (careful!!! sugar recipes get very very hot!) .... if it turns into squidgy caramel stuff, it's just about ready :D )
Take off the heat and beat it like mad with a wooden spoon - you'll eventually notice around the sides it starts to set - eventually it all thickens up & turns from glossy to duller - getting harder & harder to stir
Now is the time to pour it into a greased dish (pyrex is good) - it starts setting almost straightaway and is very tempting but still very hot(!!)
Finally, sorry, no idea how many calories, in fact I wouldn't like to think about it!

Going to use up the rest of the milk & make some more tonight :D

Louise
HAED WIPS: Too many to list!
Slinky

Re: Louise's fudge

Post by Slinky »

Oh my goodness what a fabulous recipe!! I am SO going to try that! Thanks

(Have you heard of tablet? It's a Scottish fudge, known for it's crumbly texture. Sounds like what your Mum makes!)
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yum!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

Yummy! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Is it my imagination or does the piece at the top left of the picture look as if it was made with a fish shaped mould? :lol:
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Haha, I was thinking that piece looked fish like as well Sarah. :applesauce:
Looks yummy anyhow.
:applesauce: :applesauce:
*Wonders if chocolate drizzled (not too thinly of course :oops: ) over it would make it even yummier ... :thinks: *
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

Slinky wrote:(Have you heard of tablet? It's a Scottish fudge, known for it's crumbly texture. Sounds like what your Mum makes!)
I have, and it's lovely too, but has more of a "buttery" flavour where I was looking for a "caramely" flavour :D I get it in Thorntons although probably more expensive than making my own! (and possibly not as good as real Scottish butter tablet!)

Sarah, Threadbear, yes, I can see the fish piece now you mention it!!

Louise
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

sounds scrumptious -- will have to try that!

Few questions -- how much less than a whole bag of sugar? And how big is a big tin of evaporated milk? And is evaporated milk like condensed milk? (In the Netherlands we only get the thick sugary milky stuff, which they call condensed, but I'm never quite sure how evaporated is different)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

Oops, I just spent ages doing a reply to this and a link to evaporated milk and then closed the wrong window :doh:
Anyway....
I'd say I used 80% (or more.......) of the bag of sugar so... 400g
Evaporated [Carnation] Milk - they do condensed as well, but my mum advised that evaporated is the one to get the crumbly fudge, whereas condensed makes the squidgy fudge :D This link looks like a small tin though - the one I got was twice the size, and I used just over half an inch depth of it (hope that makes sense - there was half an inch worth's 'empty' when I'd poured it in)......

Louise
Mabel Figworthy

:-) sorry to keep asking, but might it say on the tin how much it was? (As you've still got some left I assume you've still got the tin, although you may of course have decanted it)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
maggs

Post by maggs »

This looks good enough to eat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

Well, I made some more last night with a small tin - 170g, I did two batches and just had a tiny bit left in the tin by the end. I'm sorry I can't be more precise Mabel! I just cook by instinct, if it looks dry I add a bit more milk, if it's not thickening up I add more sugar... :D
Both turned out well, although the first was already a lot thicker when I poured it out of the pan, so it didn't settle as well as the second lot, still tastes nice!

Louise
Mabel Figworthy

:lol: I'm usually the chuck-in-whatever-you-happen-to-have-in-the-cupboard sort of cook, but if I do something for the first time, and to someone else's recipe, I do try to get the measurements as exact as I can. But adding whatever seems needed is a good way of doing it!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page