Making soaps and candles

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sarah Gixxer

Making soaps and candles

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

Has anyone here tried making soap or candles? I was reading some instructions about it this morning and quite fancy having a go. If they came out well it might be another little sideline to make a few extra pounds (to buy stash with!!)

Just wondered if anyone had a go before and if so, what did they think of it? I have seen that for beginners you can buy, for example, a soap making kit with a variety of scents and colours to try. They don't very much so I thought it would be fun to have a go.
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Branlaadee

Re: Making soaps and candles

Post by Branlaadee »

My SIL makes her own soaps. She doesnt use a kit though. She does the real deal with the lye and everything. It's dangerous to make with kids around, but it's really worth it. I have very sensitive skin and I just love her soaps. She makes awsome scents you cant find in stores.

When I was a kid, we used to make candles. They are fairly easy. Just need a wooden scewer, wax, something to melt wax in, wicks, molds (milk cartons work great), and colors and scents. They are quick and easy. We used to do this thing where you'd pour the wax over ice cubes and get these neat candles that looks sorta like swiss cheese.
WIPs: Too many to list
Finishes: Not enough to list
Brandy's Blog