Black needles

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

aztyke

Black needles

Post by aztyke »

Anyone else suffer from this? My needles tarnish quickly. Is it just that my hands sweat too much? After a couple of weeks or so of intense stitching, my needle will have a black ring around it and be "sticky" through the fabric. I go through a few needles per project if it is a big one.
I try to keep my hands clean, always wash them before stitching.
Just today, while out and about I bought some gold plated needles. Haven't tried them yet. Do you think these will help? I seem to remember I got one with a kit quite a while ago but the gold wore off and it was black after that.
Midge

Re: Black needles

Post by Midge »

Yes I think they will be better for you. You don't have hand cream on when you stitch do you? Some medication can also make the skin very acidic and that is what tarnishes the needle. You may find the gold ones still go off but it will take longer.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
Sue E

Post by Sue E »

Mine seem to keep the colour alright
Sue
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Midge is right, it's the acidity in your skin. It may be an allergy too. Had a friend that was allergic to some metals. The gold or plattinum plated may last better for you.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I have noticed this as well from time to time.....I think some people do react more with the metal :thinks:
If you like the type of needle you have.. it may be worth just wiping them with a cloth after each session :D
natural_isis

Post by natural_isis »

I have the same problem. Over the years it has gotten better. I can now use a needle for months rather than days before it turns. I have also found that certain brands last longer than others. Piecemakers seem to last the longest for me. Would be interested in knowing if anyone uses the platinum needles and if they are worth the extra cost.
Wips: Sadness of an Angel-Haed, Flower Girl- Haed, Bookworm Fairy- Haed, Ghost of A Rose- Haed, Babysitting- Haed, Red Tulips- Mystic Stitch, Pompiean Lady- Haed
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I tried platinum, and liked the feel a lot.. but I just kept breaking them :(
I find Piecemakers are the bees knees too :dance:
aztyke

Post by aztyke »

Hmm, nope, no hand cream, and no medications. At one point when it was at it's worst I was stopping and washing my hands every 1/2 hour or so. I'm thinking maybe it is just the heat out here, it has been in the 100's for a couple of months now, and I have noticed it is better in the winter (hahaha {arizona}) months.
It's not so bad now, so maybe it does get better with time.
Thanks, all
I looked up the piecemakers, maybe I will give them a try. Anyone seen them in stores are are they just online?
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I've seen them in the shops as well, but I'm in the UK.
I think they were cheaper online though, so you might decide that's your best bet. :)
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
megandmog

Post by megandmog »

I had one needle that went horribly black after a few weeks. It was out of a kit so I guessed it just wasn't that good quality.

I now use gold plated needles, but the plating seems to wear off very quickly.
Becca

Post by Becca »

Mine go black after a while, i just carry on using them though and it doesn't seem to be a problem, i know my hands are clean because i always wash them before i stitch, and i wash the finished piece at the end anyway.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
nataliezoe

Post by nataliezoe »

Sometimes cheaper brands coated in nickle etc will react with the natural oils from your hands.Try gold needles, they are slower to rust too!
Pedals

Post by Pedals »

The needles I use usually turn that way after a couple of weeks of good use. I try to keep a few handy. But every time I put my project down, I put it thru my shirt to wipe it clean. I also put it thru my shirt when I am reloading the floss 1) to hold while I am fetching the floss and 2) to wipe it clean.
WIP: Too many to count
Completed: Too many to count
Want to begin: Too many to count
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

I had this problem with my first kit, but then I dropped the needle on some floorboards, it went into a crack and I never saw it again :doh: The needles from my last two kits have been absolutely fine though. Maybe try a variety of brands until you find one that suits?
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal