Here they go again

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

What is more important

Perfect back
3%
Perfect Front
17%
Enjoying your stitching and hoping for perfection
80%

Total votes: 35

Rose

Here they go again

Post by Rose »

Some one on another site (I only look) wants a perfect back. WHY I ask what is the big deal with a perfect back. I don't allow my backs to be a tangled pile of thread but in no way is it perfect. And why stress over something that in most all cases is hidden. If it is a challenge I guess but it takes all of the fun out of stitching for me if I have to worry about the back. Then my front suffers somewhat, that I don't like as the front to me is the important work.

Sorry this is just a pet peeve of mine. My back is well kept as it can be but not perfect.

I guess each of us has something we obsess about so I should be less judging but it just seems like they are taking the fun out of the craft by doing this perfect back. I will shut up know just had to have a small venting. :oops:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Stitchindude

Perfection is quite a tall order!

Post by Stitchindude »

I would probably say do the best you can! If you are satisfied with the front and the back and everything in-between then you have attained satisfaction in your own eyes. To me satisfaction is in the eyes of the beholder. I think perfection is something that is unreachable. I only know One who is perfect, and I fall very short of His standard! But that is just one mans opinion.
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
raelou

Post by raelou »

I saw it as well,but I think as long as the person who stitched it is happy that's the main thing, probably because my 'backside' is not a pretty site Pardon the pun :lol:
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well my BACKSIDE needs lots of help but I was talking about the back of my stitching works. :P HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I always hope for an accurate front and a tidy back. I stitch for pleasure and for pride in the result, so want the whole thing to look good. Perfection is an unattainable goal – worth pursuing, however, because improvement is always possible. I suspect the obsession some folk have for perfect backs stems from the days when women's scope in the world was much narrower than now. We are often our own worst enemies. (And it's nice to have a chap around the forum for a slightly different voice.)
Stitchindude

Thank You!

Post by Stitchindude »

Thank you Serinde for your vote of confidence, and Ladies for allowing me to be a part of your forum! But please try to remember though, I'm not just another pretty face (Ha Ha)!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Oh but you are and your avatar proves it. By the way that pictures always makes me giggle it is a funny one.
Stitchindude

Well Thank You!

Post by Stitchindude »

Miss Rose, I always say, a Gentleman should look classy and debonair, even if he is only stitchin!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, Ah declarah, Miz Scarlett, he's just a littl' ole' Rhett Butla. (fiddle-dee-dee!)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Why bless my soal that is so true and isn't it nice to have such a gentleman in our mist. I will just have to think about that tomorrow. I'm off to Tara!!!!!!!
Stitchindude

Not to Worry!

Post by Stitchindude »

Not to worry Ladies, there is enough "Southern Charm" in this old Gentleman for everyone! Y'all write soon Ya hear!
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Are you sure you haven't kissed the Blarney stone. :lol:
About those backs. I used to stress over them but now I am satisfied as long as I don't have any knots and there are no bulky areas and no threads running allover the place. My backs are neat but they arn't perfect , but then who is. (my sister in law, her backs are too perfect, if you know what I mean. :( )
Linda
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Had a trip to Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire yesterday and saw all the wonderful 16th century tapestries. There is an exhibition of the back of one of them and boy, is it messy. :shock: There are knots in it and threads leading from one area to another. I was more interested in this than the front! Having said that, the front is fantastic. So, what I say is 'enjoy' - life is too short to obsess about backs. :D
an_drea

Post by an_drea »

Hi!

I don't understand the 3rd option of the poll, so I don't vote.

But I like to stitch as better as I can.
I try to do a good front and a good back.

Why? I don't know :lol: LOL
Maybe this desire to all perfect....
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hi an_drea,

the third one just means do your best and not worry so much. Have fun with the stitching.

It is nice to see you again it has been a while since you were here glad to see you again.
lynne.walker01

Post by lynne.walker01 »

Stitching is for enjoying not fretting over, if it starts to become a chore because it has to be perfect it is time to find a new hobby. I love my stitching and as long as the back is reasonably tidy I am happy. :)
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I agree, I was completely anal about my back side .....( :lol: , sorry, to easy!!) at first but now I'm much more relaxed about the whole thing, unless I'm stitching for someone else. Then I make much more of an effort than if it's just for me.

As long as you can't see any of my mistakes on the front!!
:wink:

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
crossstitchpro

backs or fronts...

Post by crossstitchpro »

If the back is going to be seen, as in a bookmark, I try to make the back "perfect". (whatever that is..) But if the piece is going to be framed, well, I'm getting lazy in my old age...my backs are getting quite messy!

I'm a recovering perfectionist... :D
www.crossstitchpro.com
Hundreds of Patterns to Download.
vivi

more questions about cross-stitching

Post by vivi »

Another Poll... here:
http://friendstitch.over-blog.com/

Vivi
wickidwitch

Post by wickidwitch »

The backs of mine always look a mess but I don't care I unjoy doing the stitching and if it looks good when u have finshed it then its a added bouns