Newbie - beginner cross stitcher here :)

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Collette

Newbie - beginner cross stitcher here :)

Post by Collette »

Hi all,

Iv'e only just started cross stitching - after seeing tatty teddy kits I decided I would give it a try as I love anything tatty teddy and thought it may be a good hobby, ha, guess I will have to learn how to be patient as I learn how to cross stitch! :oops:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm impressed: starting with a tatty teddy. Well, just think, you'll soon be addicted like the rest of us. Clear our a drawer NOW for all the stash you will accumulate...
roxyribbons

Post by roxyribbons »

Hi thats a brave start i would class myself as an experienced stitcher but have a real hate of back stitch some people do it as they go but i usually leave it to the end. Look forward to seeing the finished tatty teddy.
Collette

Post by Collette »

Hi to you both,

Brave or stupid start!! I had no idea how hard it is to begin with and am finding out the hard way! I have 2 on the go, a tatty teddy one and another one of a cat, so if I get bored with one I can swap between the two :wink:

Though have already unpicked them both and restarted once due to making mistakes, so it could be a long while before I get either one finished :lol:

I got a pretty embroidery box to put everything in and keep it all safe (well safe that is, apart from a beginner getting her hands on them :lol: )

Back stitch I have been advised to do last, seems like a good idea to me..... :shock:
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Welcome to the group from Canada. Some like to backstitch as they go so as long as you have totaly finished stitching an area you can back stitch it but I like to leave it till last. You should put some pictures in the gallery, we love to see what others are doing. Enjoy your visits and if you have any questions just ask, someone will know the answer, or at least whee to look. :D
Linda
LuckyDice

Post by LuckyDice »

Welcome! Look forward to getting to know you as you progress into the obsession that we all love!
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Hello Collette, welcome to the forum. I think it's a really good idea to have more than one project on the go - I do the same. At the moment I'm working on a bell pull, but am also learning Hardanger, so am working on small projects of this type of embroidery. Good luck with it all. Look forward to hearing more from you. :)
Collette

Post by Collette »

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the encouragement and offer of help if needed, it's much appreciated :D I am sure there will be questions to come if or should I say when I get in a pickle :twisted:
Collette

Post by Collette »

Well, I have 2 cross stitch kits, the tatty teddy and another one and seem to be getting along nicely with the second one, Captain Cuddlepuss, I only do it a couple of times a week really, but its coming along if you look in my gallery you can see work in progress :)

Appreciate comments, be nice, remember its my first one :shock:
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

welcome! and tatty teddy is a brave start!!
but I jumped right in with a more advanced one too..lol

looking foward to seeing your work!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Collette

Post by Collette »

Hi

Tatty teddy didn't get off to a good start lol, I was using the thread doubled through the needle (beginner, not sure what I was doing to begin with) and kinda messed up on a row of stitches (ha ha) :oops: so now having made a few boo boos on the tatty teddy one, im doing the Captain Cuddlepuss one and so far, all is going well :twisted:

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/phpBB2/ ... ser_id=448

done a bit more on it since I took the pic :)
Collette

Post by Collette »

Thankyou english rose for your comment :D Gives me a bit of encouragement!
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

it's looking great so far! can't wait to see it done!
welcome to your new hobby!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Collette

Post by Collette »

I have finished the Captain Cuddlepuss....my first completed cross stitch and am I proud of myself :lol: Will put the finished picture up in the gallery sometime over the weekend after I iron it. Just need to go get it framed now :)

I have already ordered my next one, of two robins (my mil's b/day is in august and she loves anything with robins on)..

In the meantime waiting for the robins, having previously messed up my first attempt at cross stitch on the tatty teddy one I have got, I got withdrawal symptoms not having one there to do :shock: so I spent ages unpicking what I had done previously and have started again so hopefully no mistakes on that one this time..think it is safe to say I am already hooked :shock: My two things I don't like doing are the outline (which I do after everything else is done, though the outline does really make the picture) and french knots..grrr...may use beads for those on patterns if there are only one or two!
Stitchindude

Welcome!

Post by Stitchindude »

Welcome Collette, to our fun filled, adventure packed, full of suspense, laugh a minute forum! Glad you could make it!
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
lynne.walker01

Post by lynne.walker01 »

Welcome collette you are joining a lovely group
Rose

Post by Rose »

Welcome Collette, a little late but that is ok I have not checked in here for a few days.

Tatty Teddy is a very hard start. The designer did not make them for beginners. Just remember we all had a first start and we all even experienced stitcher have to frog (ie..unpick). If you can get through it you will be so proud of what you have done.

If you have a question or a rant you can come on here and make your point. We are here to help in all ways.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Hi Collette, welcome to the forum! My first cross-stitch project (OMG how many years ago!!! :lol: ) was fairly difficult too. I like to compare what I did then with what I do now. I love it as much, if not more as I did then, but it looks a lot neater. But I still had some unpicking the other night cos I counted it wrong! :lol:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
whiskers12

Tatty Teddy

Post by whiskers12 »

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum myself, and I took up cross stitching again last year, though I previously learnt it in fibre technology in year 7 or 8 in high school (I went to an all girls private catholic school!) and I must say it's more enjoyable when it's a choice to do it rather than having it forced upon you!

I did a Tatty Teddy design for my sister's birthday in feb, so I know what a hassel the backstitch is to do, but try and persevere as the result is absolutely gorgeous!

Have fun!
Collette

Post by Collette »

Thankyou everyone, will put the finished one in the gallery now, unironed and unframed as yet though :) Thanks for the lovely welcomes :)