Mabel's other stitching 2024

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

richardandtracy

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2024

Post by richardandtracy »

Your painting with a needle is so fine & so expressive. Remarkable.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I agree, Richard.

Mabel, have you been following the discussion at Needle'n'Thread about different types of crewel wool?

Useless piece of information: Wraps per inch is a useful thing to know in weaving, because it lets you determine the set of the warp and how many strands you'll need in the weft. Appleton crewel, which is good to weave with although not my favourite embroidery wool, has 30 wraps per inch, as has Heathway, making it about a 9.5/2 (or a 2/8 WC), about double the thickness Renaissance Dyeing crewel which is 45wpi (so about 18/2 --or 2/16WC), making it quite a fine "single". I didn't bother doing a wrap for my De Vere worsted 2/28s, as they are even thinner than RD. I'm too lazy to look up their actual weight. The "2" denotes the number of plies, and the larger the other number, the finer the yarn. This is why with some yarns you need more strands in the needle, or why you can only seem to get very fine detail with other yarns.

I'll just get my hat...
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That's very useful to know Serinde, I always find those numbers rather confusing! Yes, I've followed her wool comparisons with interest.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page