Cross stitch blanket care?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

meganap25

Cross stitch blanket care?

Post by meganap25 »

I’ve taken a break from cross stitch recently to explore some other crafts but one of my closest friends recently announced she’s pregnant and I want to stitch her something! My original thought was to stitch a baby blanket and I found a Disney design I love (she’s a big Disney fan). However, it’s a big investment, both in terms of time and money and I’d want it to actually be useful as a blanket. So my question is for those of you who’ve used or gifted a cross stitched blanket. Did you/the recipient feel comfortable actually using it as a blanket? Or was it treated more as a decorative piece? Did you machine wash it? How did it hold up?
I also have a really cute design that would make a great wall hanging for a nursery so I’m debating stitching that instead and just buying a cute blanket that can go in the dryer. Which would you prefer to receive as a gift?

—Megan
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Cross stitch blanket care?

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I think this is a question for Carole, the Queen of Afghans!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Roland

Post by Roland »

I’ve done baby cloths and a blanket for my own child, they were used and machine washed and survived fine.

I gave a blanket to one DIL for her son. No idea if she used it or not.

Gave a blanket to ex-DIL when she was still with my son, it was a huge investment of time, detailed alphabet. It was his favourite blankie. Took it everywhere, slept with it, pooped, peed, and puked on it. Machine washed. It get stained, but held up fine.

I do not use any knots in my stitching.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

There are a lot of different fabrics that you can find for cross stitching an afghan. My personal preference is Charles Craft which comes in two sizes which is good because one if perfect for babies, I think. There are lots of others also. I've used Anne Cloth and Lady something(?). I prefer the Charles Craft because it is more blanket like. Sturdier and durable. The super test were the ones I made for some of my grandsons. Sports themed they took them to sporting events, school sporting events, used them to sit on bleachers, benches. Toss them in the washing machine on delicate, tumble dry low and they come out perfect. The ones I have kept which end up being covered with cat hair also get tossed into the washing machine and dryer. I have never had a problem.

Most of my afghans have been gifts. I'm working on one now a Star Wars Afghan for my son. And as Roland says are really durable. Good luck and I hope whichever you decide on, you will share your progress with us too.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Roland

Post by Roland »

Two of the blankets I did were actually purchased baby blankets and I used waste cloth to cross stitch. The alphabet one was on Charlescraft I think. Squares all around, like the Star Wars one Carole is doing.
meganap25

Post by meganap25 »

Thank you so much for the responses! I think I’ll do the blanket. This is the pattern I’ll be doing and I’m very excited!
https://www.joann.com/disney-dreams-col ... 11892.html

It’s out of print but I got lucky; I saw someone in a cross stitch group that was posting this as a recent finish so I asked if they would sell me the original pattern and they agreed! Since it’s not a compete kit I’ll need to buy the afghan so I really appreciate the advice on the best fabrics. One I get started I’ll start sharing progress.

That Star Wars afghan is awesome Carole!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a lovely design, it looks like it's got some really detailed shading!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

What fun it will be stitching that design! And that is going to become a special heirloom one day. Can't wait to watch it develop. They are especially good to stitch in the winter.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Roland

Post by Roland »

I agree, better to stitch in winter.
meganap25

Post by meganap25 »

One more question before I start buying all my materials; do you usually put a fabric backing on your blankets to finish them or just keep the stitching as neat as possible?

Thank you! This is the biggest project I’ve ever attempted and my first blanket.

Megan
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Megan, I have never put a backing on the afghans I've made though I know that is something a lot of people suggest. I do try harder with afghans to keep the backs as neat as possible. When there are stitches that are more than 3 or 4 spaces apart I will either start and stop new ones, or more likely will pull the thread underneath the threads in between the spaces. I also try to do those stitches before doing any larger areas that will surround the smaller areas so that those are covered. It takes a little longer, but it works for me. Its easy for me to kind of map out where I'm going to stitch because I use the Good Notes app for my charts. If a chart isn't purchased as a pdf, I will scan it into the computer (removing the chart once I've completed the project)and then its easy to do and to erase the "map" that I draw. I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask any and all questions you have. I am looking forward to seeing your work.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Roland

Post by Roland »

I tried ironing on a backing after stitching, but it just wouldn’t stay. And some, the material was not safe to iron.