2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Post by Serinde »

St Cross Stitchers is ship shape and ready to help all our lovely members. Dr Tiny Cat is once again in charge, ably assisted by the Kittens and Puppies of Cuddles Nursing staff. :kitty: :puppy: :sun:
Mabel Figworthy

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Mr Mabel and I will divide our time between the ward here and the S&G until we have completely shed the nasty virus that the GP tells us can take a month to shake off. Let the shaking off begin!

(And can I just say I;ve never seen such neat hospital corners!)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm pretty sure I will be in and out (hopefully out more than in) in the next few months. Last month I had a "suspicious" result to my annual mammogram. My guess is that you've already figured out that the results were not the best, though could have been a lot worse. An ultra sound, followed by an ultrasound guided biopsy confirmed that a mass of cancerous cells was detected right under the skin of my right breast. The positive is that it is a low grade, probably stage 1 and the treatment will be a lumpectomy. The other positive is that the team that is working with me is wonderful. From the radiologists who did the ultrasound, the surgeon I spoke with, the nurses and staff at the Breast Care Center of my local hospital I have had wonderful experiences with. I should be talking with the oncologist this week or next week. Like all of my cats I get ill over a holiday and a long weekend, though I was given phone numbers to call any time, day or night. My family and friends are more supportive than ever (maybe even more supportive than I need right now, but that is also very okay).

The strangest part is that I feel fine. It is almost like an out of body experience. I have been very lucky that I have never really had anything major health wise in my 74 years. Not been in a hospital overnight since I was 6 ys old and had an emergency appendectomy and in 1954 that was a lot different than today. My main memory of that was my mother staying with me for 5 days (no pediatric unit in those days) and my father bringing me a "Betsy Wetsy" doll who wet the bed after you gave her a bottle. (I was upset when I put some chocolate milk in her bottle and that is what came out of her).

Anyway, I am generally positive about what the outcome will be and decided to share this because I will need all the prayers and good wishes anyone wants to provide. Will keep y'all updated.

Carole
:ratherbe:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

They know how to sort these things - they have caught it early :wink:

I had a suspect lump removed from my breast at the beginning of last December - nothing big it took them less than 30 minutes to use what looked like a pastry cutter to remove the offending area and have it stitched up again. I drove home after 15 mins and other than the stitches annoying me for the following 10 days (longer ends are needed to the stitches so you can use a piece of tape to hold them down :roll: ) and a red scar that is slowly fading it was a non event.

While on the subject of breast cancer let me tell you the tale of the lady who used to own my house - "Doreen". They caught Doreen a bit too late and she had to have a mastectomy. To "balance her out" they advised her to make a stuffed pad and put that into her bra.

One day sitting on the bus on her own a young lad hopped on and sat opposite her. She said slowly she watched horror appear on his face. This worried her so she started looking around - until she realised why... Her padding for her missing breast had made its way up on top of her shoulder and made her look as if she was horribly disfigured. She said she laughed and said "oh dear" put her hand in and moved it back where it should be. Much to the relief of the young lad. :lol:

She got on with life and was even happier when they removed the second. She said it was such a weight off her chest and she could get rid of that stuffed pad.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you for the encouragement, Jo. Interesting side note: my sister's name is Doreen. I'll go with the lumpectomy, hopefully. I'm having an MRI done in 2 weeks. There were two areas identified and the surgeon wants to make sure there are not any hiding anywhere else so she can get all of it at once. The oncologist will decide what if and other treatment will be needed (chemo and/or radiation). I'll do what ever is needed.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

All positive thoughts winging their way to you Carole.
I had a biopsy some years back after a mammogram showed calcification that had increased since previous mammogram and could become 'nasty'
All negative thankfully but it took a few anxious weeks to get results back.

I can relate a story too about a patient in the hospital where I worked. She had booked a holiday in St Tropez with a friend from the Mastectomy Club. They planned to go topless on the beach and make a Good Pair! :D
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Which reminds me of another of Doreen's anecdotes: Doreen had her left breast removed first. She said "It was ok for her husband as he could still feel a right tit " :lol:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Doreen sounds like a great girl :lol:
Carole, so glad they caught it warly and are looking after you so well - and that you are feeling fine in yourself! Wishing you continued peace of mind throughout the treatment, and a postive outcome!
(note: I wish medical usage of positive and negative wasn's so topsy-turvy...)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mags

Post by mags »

Sorry you are going through this Carole. Fingers crossed for the best possible outcome. Thinking of you :hug: :hug: :hug:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
fccs

Post by fccs »

Carole, I’m glad they caught it early, and with the support of your family and friends, including all of us, you’ll get through this. Your attitude and outlook will go far in your recovery.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Good luck Carole. When caught early, it's usually pretty OK. So I shall assume that's going to be the outcome unless otherwise advised.

I've heard on the radio (BBC Radio 4, so moderately authorative) that the success rate with lumoectomies is not noticeably different from full mastectomies during the earlier stages, so there shouldn't be any worries about the surgeon missing any cells.

All the best with it, though,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wub: Thank you all for your encouragement and support. I'll know more soon as I have an MRI scheduled for this Friday and an appointment with the surgeon on Monday. There is an amazing team of doctors, nurses and other care staff working together and so caring and supportive, besides family and friends (y'all are included there) that I am able to stay positive and hopeful. And time here with Dr. Tiny Cat and the cuddling staff is the very best medicine of all.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
richardandtracy

Just a silly.

I woke up this morning to an excruciating pain in my right eye. Ozzie had run across our heads at 5:30 this morning. And in doing so he'd dug a front claw into the outer corner of my upper eyelid. It's now bruising a fair bit and is slightly painful. Evil toe-rag. However, we know it wasn't deliberate, he hasn't a malicious bone in his body. But he could accidentally do some major damage if he keeps this behaviour up. Going to have to think what to do about it.

Regards,

Richard.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Oh no! You might want to think about having it checked by an ophthalmologist to make sure no damage was done to the eye and to maybe get some antibiotics to ensure against an infection? Those claws can do a fair amount of damage. I'm sure Ozzie was chasing something, hopefully one of those imaginary (or at least to us humans invisible) things that was getting ready to attack you.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
richardandtracy

Ozzie was not trying to chase anything. He was hungry & wanted us to get up. On other occasions he has chewed noisily on crinkly plastic bags, walked over the bedside lockers knocking stuff off, bashing it if that didn't work, or jumping up and down on us. He's like a little child, he's awake, so we need to be up and feeding him.

It didn't get through to the eye, and the other claws dug into my forehead & cheek. As for bugs - let's just say his claw marks don't fester unlike those from my avatar cat Albert. Albert's puncture wounds always, without fail, festered. He was a dirty, pugnacious, street cat, while Ozzie is far from it.

Regards,

Richard.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thought I'd give y'all a little update. My daughter and I met with the oncologist yesterday. (My family requires a witness since they are not likely to believe that I am not down playing or mentioning any information that I think would worry them unnecessarily ) I loved the doctor. I feel like I've been so lucky to have been great referrals from one doctor to the next. They have so supportive, honest, instructive and open.

The prognosis she gave me was very good. With each physician I am learning more about breast cancer (I keep saying breast cancer hoping that eventually it will feel real. Hard to accept an illness when you feel fine and nothing hurts but your arthritic knees) and what to expect. What I have is stage one and appears to be confined in one area. The surgery is outpatient and assuming no unexpected events I will go home after I am ready in Recovery. There is a possibility that I will have some radiation treatment, but no chemotherapy is indicated at this time, which was a relief. I would have done it if necessary (as my stepmother used to say: The alternative is not acceptable but was dreading that possibility.Then endocrine (I think that is what she called it) treatment for probably 5 years or maybe more which is preventive. Outpatient surgery is scheduled for Friday morning and I am so looking forward to Saturday.

In the meantime I've been rewatching (for the umpteenth time) the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings extended versions of the Peter Jackson films. Middle earth is my "comfort place" to escape to when I need time away from reality. That way I can keep stitching too.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
richardandtracy

The news is about as good as you could get, then.

I do hope you respond well to the treatment. We know a lady on daily chemo and she's struggling a little, so it's good to hear you're missing out on that.

All the best,

Richard
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Oh Carole,

I am sorry to read this news, but so glad to read it's stage one and that Chemotherapy is not indicated at this stage, although surgery is never fun, it is good it is out-patients and you can go home so soon afterwards.

:hug: :hug: :pray: :hug: :hug:

I am sure Rosey (?) will know something is up, I hope she minds her manners and doesn't intend to use you as her cushion from Saturday onwards.

Excellent idea to spend your time between now and Friday in the company of Frodo, Aragorn, Legolas et al.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers on Friday, and of course we have a nice comfy bed ready to be made up for you and the squishy armchair with the book-rest waiting for you. Dr. Tiny Cat will of course be on duty from Friday onwards.

Extra :hug: :hug: :hug: (I don't think you can ever have too many)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
Maureen: I am sure you won’t be surprised that I actually asked the doctor about Rosey since her favorite spot for cuddling is right in the middle of my chest when I am taking a nap on the couch or laying down in bed. She never sits on my lap and hates being carried. The surgeon, who also has a rescue cat, told me that as long as she isn’t kneading or scratching that it shouldn’t be a problem unless it hurts and to judge it by the pain if I feel any. She said it might help with providing extra compression.. in the meantime I’m encouraging her to focus on the left side, but being a cat she lays her head where she wants to.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

Carole, thank you for the update with such positive news. We're all with you and are here when you need us, not just the hobbits. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends