Scotland :-)

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: Scotland :-)

Post by richardandtracy »

I've been to Alnwick (pronounced 'An-ick') Castle - loved it. You should enjoy it too.

My eldest studied for a degree in Mediaeval History and spent 3 days crawling all over Stirling Castle as part of her course in February 2018, which she thoroughly enjoyed too. The length of visit to Stirling Castle was meant to be 5 days, staying in Edinburgh overnight. Unfortunately, they got snowed in for a week in Edinburgh after 3 days and ended up 'escaping' to England on the first train that ran south after the tracks were cleared, 5 days after their visit was due to have ended. [Their hotel ran out of food, and all of those on the course had to start eating in other local restaurants which also started running out. My eldest found that there was a local camping supplies shop, which was one of the few shops open, and they had a nice range of self-heating camping food which many of them resorted to for a bit of variety... :? Snow like that is not common, as a result none of the UK is really prepared for it, and having it bad enough to seize up a major city is exceedingly unusual.]

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

richardandtracy wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:17 am I've been to Alnwick (pronounced 'An-ick') Castle - loved it. You should enjoy it too.

My eldest studied for a degree in Mediaeval History and spent 3 days crawling all over Stirling Castle as part of her course in February 2018, which she thoroughly enjoyed too. The length of visit to Stirling Castle was meant to be 5 days, staying in Edinburgh overnight. Unfortunately, they got snowed in for a week in Edinburgh after 3 days and ended up 'escaping' to England on the first train that ran south after the tracks were cleared, 5 days after their visit was due to have ended. [Their hotel ran out of food, and all of those on the course had to start eating in other local restaurants which also started running out. My eldest found that there was a local camping supplies shop, which was one of the few shops open, and they had a nice range of self-heating camping food which many of them resorted to for a bit of variety... :? Snow like that is not common, as a result none of the UK is really prepared for it, and having it bad enough to seize up a major city is exceedingly unusual.]

Regards,

Richard
Richard, thanks for the pronunciation…I’ve been saying it phonetically and it’s a much prettier sound the way it’s supposed to be said. You English folk make words sound so regal. :-). I’m excited to see Alnwick, Stirling, Edinburgh, and any other castles we come across. My kids went to Stirling Castle on their visit to Scotland and they loved it.

It sounds like snow over there is much like the infrequent snow some southern states get here. Those areas are just not equipped to handle even a little snow - no deicing equipment, no plows, etc. Good thinking on your daughter to check out the camping supplies store.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

I honestly think the pronunciation here in the UK is nuts. A few examples:

Near my parent's farm (before my dad moved) there was a village whose name was spelt 'Woolfardisworthy'. Pronounced 'Woolsery'.
In Kent, the village of 'Trottiscliffe' is pronounced 'Tros-lee'. How plain bonkers is that?

They're the first two I can drag from my mind, if I thought, there are bound to be more.

Regards,

Richard.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Ha! The English are perhaps just economical when it comes to syllables?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

There was an American series called Nanny & The Professor (1970s I'm guessing? I saw repeats) where the magical English Nanny to an American family is visited by her fiancé Cholmondely Featherstonehaugh (as his card says). The eldest boy tries to pronounce it but he is told it's "plain Chumley Fanshaw"
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fccs

Post by fccs »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm There was an American series called Nanny & The Professor (1970s I'm guessing? I saw repeats) where the magical English Nanny to an American family is visited by her fiancé Cholmondely Featherstonehaugh (as his card says). The eldest boy tries to pronounce it but he is told it's "plain Chumley Fanshaw"
:-) More syllable economics.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Post by fccs »

Oh my gosh! I am in love with Scotland. I got back late last night from one of the best vacations EVER. What a beautiful country, and what nice people. I'm ready to go back.

We went to several castles: Balmoral, Dunnottar, Crathes, Alnwick, Bamburgh (outside only), and Edinburgh. We saw hairy coos! We went to Loch Lomond. We visited a friend near Huntly. My luggage made it from Denver to Washington, D.C., to Dublin, where it decided to stay for awhile. We got to Ballater on Saturday and my luggage finally arrived Monday night, just in time for us to head to Edinburgh the next morning. Our rental car got a flat tire Monday night and the rental company told us they couldn't repair it until Tuesday between noon and 6pm, so we had to hire a driver to take us to Aberdeen for our train, leaving the rental and the keys at the hotel. Despite the few hiccups, the trip was amazing and they provided more laughs than irritation.

I also almost mailed my camera to my friend near Huntly. I had taken gifts for her and her family, however they were in my delayed luggage (along with all my clothes). I had put them all in a tote bag and when we went into Edinburgh Friday, I carried the bag and put my camera inside to make it one less thing to carry. Packed the bag up in a box, paid for the postage, and off we went...making it two blocks before I realized I had not taken my camera out of the bag before I boxed it. Back to the post office we went, hoping I could get them to open the box for me (they did) and laughing at the thought of my friend opening her package and finding a camera (she didn't). Yeah, I won't live that one down for a very long time.

So, all I can saw about Scotland is WOW!!!

Oh and I took a few WIPS...never even opened one of the project bags. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Sometimes stitched holiday projects speak of a good holiday (relaxing time), and sometimues UNstitched holiday projects speak of a good holiday (lots and lots of wonderful things to do and see) - yours was obviously the latter!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Wow that was some great holiday!

We moved to Scotland nearly 3 years ago and we are so happy that we did.

You certainly made the most of all the sights to see, probably more than I have! :lol:

"Haste ye back" as they say here! :dance:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Sounds like an awesome vacation!!! When my sister and I went to the UK we were in England and Wales but didn't have time for Scotland. I so much want to go back and add Scotland to the itinerary. Welcome back home!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

So glad you enjoyed your stay.

It sounds as if you were astonishingly busy while on it. In some ways it must be a relief to have stopped!
The travels of your baggage could almost make a separate diary. I feel so fortunate that the same hasn't yet happened to me yet.

I can agree that Scotland is 'Wow!'. We'd all appreciate it if you could post a couple of your most memorable photos (given that you still posses a camera by the skin of your teeth), and maybe that can happen before you unexpectedly gift the camera to a different unsuspecting friend. :roll:

How was the driving? Must have felt odd to be driving on the other side of the road, and a bit disconcerting to begin with.

Regards,

Richard
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

So glad you had a wonderful Scottish adventure, despite the car and (almost) camera! You've seen more of the country than many of its citizens, that's for sure. And hairy coos! (Their calves are so cute -- like fuzzy teddy bears.) Where did they take you on Loch Lomond (since that's really my stomping ground...) Luss? Do hope you might come back one day.

And apologies for not getting to Stirling as hoped. I was really sorry to have missed the opportunity to really meet you, but to say things got hectic was something of an understatement, and it went clean out of my mind -- I'd like to think I'm not normally so discourteous as to never even have got in touch. :oops: :oops: :(
fccs

Post by fccs »

I don't know why it's taken me so long to share some of my photos from my fabulous Scotland trip, but here you go. Apologies in advance for the sheer number of pictures (there are a lot more than a couple, Richard LOL).

our hotel in Ballater

Balmoral

hairy coo's at Balmoral (I love these animals!!)

Dunnottar Castle (so many steps!)

Crathes Castle

Alnwick Castle (very cool experience)

Bamburgh Castle

another hairy coo, this one by Bamburgh Castle

me and the Kelpies

Loch Lomond

Stirling Castle

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh from the Castle

time for whisky tasting :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Wonderful photos -- you captured your castles very well! And the Highland cattle, of course. :dance: And all rounded off in good Scottish fashion -- in this case, several nips!
fccs

Post by fccs »

Serinde wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:49 am Wonderful photos -- you captured your castles very well! And the Highland cattle, of course. :dance: And all rounded off in good Scottish fashion -- in this case, several nips!
It seemed the right thing to do. I mean, it seemed rude to the Scottish folk not to do some whisky’ing. :-) I also had Pimm’s for the first time. I’m a fan.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Oh, you saw The Kelpies :wub: :applesauce:
We were hoping to see them on the way back from Stirling last September but the rain was dreadful so all we saw looming over the hedges by the motorway were two huge rain soaked heads. :tantrum:
But... We can choose a fine day another time.

Love all your Castles and the wee hairy coos. There's a park near us with a whole herd of them :wub:
richardandtracy

Absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing.

You really got around, didn't you? The difference between the fortresses and the castle styled houses is stark. I loved Bamburgh castle when we were there. Did any of the displays mention how the last famous owner (Armstrong) make his money? When we were there the National Trust only mentioned his hydraulic inventions and completely whitewashed the fact that armaments were the real source of his wealth.

Your lovely photos have also made me reassess my view of Edinburgh, too. I've never actually been there, and do know it's on the south side of the Firth of Forth. But for some strange reason, I've always imagined that the castle is between the city and the water, like some huge protective sentinel with the city huddled behind. From your photos, I'm obviously wrong.

Again, thank you.

Regards,

Richard.
Mabel Figworthy

Obviously the absolutely perfect trip!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

When you've got extinct volcanos to hand, why not build on them? And Edinburgh really makes use of its situation. Not only the volcano, but Princes St Gardens takes up the space of the former man-made defensive Nor' [North] Loch.
fccs

Post by fccs »

We didn't get to go inside Bamburgh Castle, but I will definitely add that to my list of what I want to do on my next visit. It was magnificent from the outside and I bet the inside is equally magnificent. There is nothing that I did NOT like about Scotland, and our brief visit across the border into England.

This was one of the best vacations ever and I can't wait to go back. I'm not sure I can make it happen in 2024, but surely in 2025 if not. I was talking to a fellow volunteer at the Butterfly House today and she said to let her know when I go back because she'd love to tag along. She and her husband travel around the US but apparently he has no interest in seeing other countries. When I went to England in 2000, I fell in love with the Cotswolds and the parts of Scotland we visited were just as beautiful. I hope those of you who live over there fully appreciate it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends