Site to avoid

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Site to avoid

Post by Serinde »

If you are tempted by any of the designs on Alisa Handicrafts, don't be. The site is selling illegal copies of Trish Burr's embroidery designs.
rcperryls

Re: Site to avoid

Post by rcperryls »

What a shame! That is why some of us are wary of Etsy. I used to think Etsy was a place for people to sell their own designs or creative products without having to go to the trouble of creating and maintaining their own website, especially when it first started. I hope the designer knows and is able to do something to stop this. In the long run it hurts all of us if designers find it difficult to make a living doing what they love.

Carole
:tantrum:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Serinde,

Have you let Trish Burr know? Then both you and she can make a complaint to Etsy, and having the copyright holder complain carries more weight with many organisations.

I once complained to Ebay and let the sculptor David Goode ( https://david-goode.com/ ) know someone was selling a poor quality knock off sculpture as a 'David Goode Original'. The sculpture was supposed to be this one: https://david-goode.com/media/sculpture ... rryman.jpg. Ebay didn't do anything until David Goode complained too (after I hold him) and then the seller was removed completely from E-bay.
As an aside, I love those David Goode statues & would love to have one in the garden, but... £/$. Ahh well.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Yes, do notify both Trish Burr and Etsy, if they don't know they can't act.

Etsy to my mind has become an all-but-necessary evil to independent designers like myself. I have noted an increasing fall off in traffic to my site as Etsy grows bigger. People see it as a one-stop shop and don't bother to find designers'/suppliers' own website, where they could often get things cheaper because the seller doesn't have to pay Etsy's ever-increasing fees.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

You are quite right. In fact, it was Trish who notified all the people who subscribe to her newsletter. She asked everyone to publicise this as widely as possible, so up on the Forum it went!