Arianwen's other stuff 20.09.22

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Arianwen

Arianwen's other stuff 20.09.22

Post by Arianwen »

So while I'm waiting for my threads for my haed to come in (and trying to screw up the courage to order the fabric) I've picked this to work on

its a very old kit by DMC from the felicity wishes line called wishful thinking. I forgot to take a pic of the finished mock up :D

I've made a very small start and had about 90 minutes stitching time last night

I've had this for a while and never done it cause it didnt call to me (it was a gift) but I'm really impressed with the quality of everything so far!
Last edited by Arianwen on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Wishful thinking! 05.07.22

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Good start, and I'm looking forward to finding out who or what is doing the wishul thinking!
The quality of the materials in a kit makes such a difference, doesn't it?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Re: Wishful thinking! 05.07.22

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:34 am Good start, and I'm looking forward to finding out who or what is doing the wishul thinking!
The quality of the materials in a kit makes such a difference, doesn't it?
Totally agree. Looking forward to your updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Arianwen

Re: Wishful thinking! 17.07.22

Post by Arianwen »

quick update!

Not a huge amount of time for stitching lately but this is coming along! Mabel and Carole - you are absolutely right! good quality materials make a HUGE difference!

Its going to be a lot smaller than I though (the pattern is huge) and I have both 'edges' of the design done. I plan to finish off the blue half stitching of the sky (which is actually 2 different but very close shades) before I do the clouds, stars and moon.

Fingers crossed this continues to progress quickly as I have bitten the bullet and ordered fabric for my haed (gosh I hope i did the maths right - even though I've had it checked here) and threads to start the first page or two at least
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Good progress on the background. Half stitches make for much speedier progress (obviously you get twice as much done than it takes for a full stitch :doh:) Looking forward to this one and to the HAED. You'll find it much easier to stitch than the dragon you just finished since there aren't blended threads and fractional or back stitches required. It's the size of the pieces that can feel a bit overwhelming. That is my humble opinion, anyway.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Wow! You've really made good progress with this. Nothing like a bit of procrastination... 8)
Arianwen

Re: Wishful thinking! 24.07.22

Post by Arianwen »

well starting threads and fabric ordered for both my haed and the overlook SAL (thanks for enabling me Roland) - just waiting for it (and some more wool roving for spinning!) to arrive.

In the mean time I've been cracking on with this - my stitchy bug seems to be returning which is awesome! It's been a bit of a struggle to stitch lately so I'm glad thats changing!

this is where I am at now

Before back stitching

and after

definitly a love hate relationship with back stitch - this one is more love because its so dramatic.

This is also about half way through the piece total! Its turning out much quicker and much more enjoyable than I expected
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
mags

Post by mags »

This is lovely and lovely stitching.

(I had to google it and it is a lovely design ) :shifty: :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Great progress! I agree about the "love hate relationship" backstitching has. But the amazing changes that it can bring with it, usually make it worth the time and effort. What I hate is when the back stitch does nothing to make a design "pop" :oops: I've been known to not always do the backstitch that is in the design :oops:

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Are you stress testing your stitchy bug with all that back stitch (it does look grand)? :lol:
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

Serinde wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:27 am Are you stress testing your stitchy bug with all that back stitch (it does look grand)? :lol:
:lol: no! its not actually much backstitch - it just gives a dramatic effect on this piece! It took me maybe an hour and a half to put the stitches in.

My stitchy bug is getting a test though - I've started something 1 over 1 on 28ct opalescent fabric
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I love stitching on opalescent fabric! And the coverage of 1 over 1 on 28 ct is great. My HAEDs are stitched that way. I have to use the magnilight to manage it. I can't wait to see what you are stitching. Even though I am enjoying watching this one progress very much.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:40 pm :applesauce: :applesauce: Great progress! I agree about the "love hate relationship" backstitching has. But the amazing changes that it can bring with it, usually make it worth the time and effort. What I hate is when the back stitch does nothing to make a design "pop" :oops: I've been known to not always do the backstitch that is in the design :oops:

Carole
I agree with everything you said. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Arianwen

Re: Arianwen's other stuff 25.07.22

Post by Arianwen »

I've decided to change things up a little so the name of the thread has changed! I'm going to post everything non haed here.

I'm normally a 1 at a time stitcher, but add in some smaller stuff if I have a big project on the go, but after being enabled by Roland, I have started the same SAL - the Overlook.

I'm looking at it as practice for my haed, and testing out pattern keeper. I dont have it running exactly as I would like but it'll do for now.

I'm stitching this 1 over 1 on 28ct opalescent evenweave (I think it's Brittney) in the colourway Cirrus by Chromatic Alchemy.

This is where I started this morning

I wasnt happy with how pale that first block was so I've gone a shade darker. from 927 to 926

I'm getting the hang of 1 over 1 and not quite so intimidated. I felt like I'd bitten off more than I was capable of at first!

Here is where I am now

I'm mostly happy with it but slightly confused. At the top, where the half circle is (it will be a window) its slightly off somewhere. I should be 2 stitches further out on the right hand side so it matches up along the bottom. However all my spacing is correct and I havent missed or added any stitches :shock: :tizzy: I'm putting it down to just one of those things and it will make my piece unique!
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Garnet

Re: Arianwen's other stuff 25.07.22

Post by Garnet »

What lovely fabric, The Shining SAL (or whatever it's called) will work up so well on that lovely fabric.

Felicity's WIshes is coming along beautifully too, the backstitch does make such a difference.

Well done.

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Arianwen

Re: Arianwen's other stuff 04.08.22

Post by Arianwen »

I have an overlook update!

Apparently I cannot count over 1 on 28 ct - this does not bode well! I've made counting errors all over the place :doh: one on each side. and one I thought I had done wrong, frogged ( ripping my fabric in the process) re did - and it turns out it was right all along :tantrum:. I'm putting it down to teething problems with working over 1.

My frame is half done and I'm running out of thread for that so waiting on an order with another couple of skeins. I darkened it in the end and decided to frog the two windows in the central section because they were bugging me

Here is how it looked this morning before I back stitched.

And after I finished about half an hour ago

In hindsight, maybe I should have done the lettering in one strand of 310, rather than 2 but I'm happy with it as is. And the eyes are stitched with E940 - glow in the dark thread!

I'm going to move up to the top row first room to the right of the gable. This is where I ripped my fabric and patched it on the back but I want to get that done so its reinforced and I stop worrying about it unravelling and focusing on it!

Oh and more spinning on my spindle(s) I well and truly have the big for that now!
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

One over one does takes a bit of getting used to.

And i'm reliably told that spinning is addictive ... 8)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Been there done that! Pulling out those stitches that were actually in the right spot. So frustrating, but I think most of us have experienced that at some point (more than once in my case :oops: ). I think you have done a great job so far, especially being new to the 1 over 1 method. Have you thought about using a magnilight of some type. Even before my eyes got older :roll: when stitching on fabrics over 22 count, a magnilight was very helpful. Looking forward to seeing more updates.

I know very little about spinning, but like most needlecraft I'm sure it can be addictive.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Arianwen

Re: Arianwen's other stuff 20.09.22

Post by Arianwen »

Little update here!

I finally finished the frame this month for my Overlook Sal! I was so glad when the two sides lined up!

As you can see I've also completed 2 of the rooms, the middle window and the front steps. Top is the Grady twins and that is where I have a piece of fabric basted on the back so I wanted to get that one done for peace of mind.

Bottom left is this month's release the gold room

Close up:

This has 2 different speciality threads - the DMC gold metallic and E940 (Glow in the dark) and the E940 is worse to use for me than the metallic - So I am glad this block is done!

I'm going to do the large room above next I think and try and catch up a bit before the next room is released.

Spinning is coming along (mostly!) well and I have a few balls all spun, plied and ready to use - I'll try and get some pictures soon! I'm hoping to use them to make some christmas gifts - maybe knitted socks or mittens! I'm not that experienced though so looking for some easy beginner patterns (I think reading the patterns is the hardest part!) and I want to get some stitch markers before I really make a start.

Trying to distract myself at the moment cause my contract for secondment is coming to an end and I'm waiting to hear if they will keep me on in this department!
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
fccs

Re: Arianwen's other stuff 20.09.22

Post by fccs »

Fantastic update and progress on such an interesting and fun design.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends