Can someone check my calculations?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Arianwen

Can someone check my calculations?

Post by Arianwen »

So I received a HAED for my birthday :whoop: :whoop:

I've made my list of threads and lined up my supplier, I am just working out what fabric I need and I'm hoping I can triple check them with you guys?

The piece is What Lies beneath by Dakota Daetwiler (it was due to be retired so I smiled nicely at my mother to get it for my birthday)

Stitch Count is 575 wide and 753 high (apparently this works out at 25inches wide and 30 high on 25ct evenweave - I've worked it out to be 23.5 ish x 30.5 ish if you work over 1)

I think I'd like to do it on either 28ct or 32 ct magic guide over 1. I'm rounding up to the next largest half cm.

To work on 28ct I'd need a piece 28.5 inches wide by 35 high ( or 73cm x 90cm) allowing 2 inch border and 2 inch for finishing

To work on 32 ct (my preference - Not sure why just really fancy it? I've stitched on 32 before but usually over 2) I would need a piece 26 inch wide by 31.5 high (66.5 x 80.5 )

I've found some easy count/ magic guide on amazon (I also got a gift voucher so would like to use it if possible) the 28 ct brittney is 100cm x 70 / 40x 27. There is a larger piece at 140cm by 100 which I can get if necessary.

The 32 ct murano is 100cm by 70cm as well, and again there is a larger piece if necessary.

I can get away with the smaller pieces in both cases I *think* but I'd be sacrificing 3cm on the 28 ct (which is fine by me cause I've factored extra in anyway.

My maths feels wrong so I'm grateful if you can triple check for me!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
rcperryls

Re: Can someone check my calculations?

Post by rcperryls »

Using this Cross Stitch Calculator for 28 count fabric, stitching over 1 and adding a 3 inch border I come up with 27 x 33 inches. For 32 count fabric it comes to 24 x 30 inches. I'm being lazy and not converting to centimeters. Having done and still doing a number of HAED designs on 28 ct fabric, stitching full crosses 1 over 1, I found using a single strand of thread instead of 2 strands really important. With the higher fabric count and a lot of confetti which there always is, 2 strands can become very difficult to stitch. You might want to test it out doing a couple of 10 x 10 squares, making sure that you switch a lot of colors if you do this. I love stitching on my HAEDs even though I have put my two favorites on hold for now, hoping to finish an afghan by Christmas. What a wonderful birthday gift you have gotten!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Arianwen

Re: Can someone check my calculations?

Post by Arianwen »

Thanks Carole - looks and sounds like my maths was correct. If I get the smaller cuts of fabric, I can get one of the 28 and one of the 32 on the gift voucher and do a small test stitch on each piece if necessary - and still have another piece for my next haed :D. I'm happy to just play it by ear as long as the size is right!

and yes I agree - a beautiful gift - I've been very lucky!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys