An Update On My Doings

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Squirrel

An Update On My Doings

Post by Squirrel »

When I was writing the item onto Lyudmyla's page I realised I hadn't filled you in oon my where-abouts so here is a very brief update.
I am now living in an older largish room with plenty of cupboard/drawer space within a lovely seniors Home where our wishes are listened too and very often taken up. Well plenty for the average person but not a lover of m ulti hand crafts.hand crafts.
Several things brought this move to fruition.
Firstly I am not always steady on my feet plus I am getting a bit forgetful as well. Add into that mix Jenny & Phil will be selling up and moving either further inland or up north. Neither interests me in the least. It was quite hot enough where we all were although I found it rather too warm quite often. So Ineeded to start thinking about what next.
After looking at several Elderlt Citizens Homes we settled on Arcare Homes where our wishes are listened too and often happen. Plus I could live there for 4 weeks no cost - the government pays it. - to decide if its right. I mentioned to Jenny #2 (senior asmin lady) that I was concerned about space in the room mentioning that to me the room in their newest building looked small to me. She agreed to let us know when a room became available which she duly did only it was 2 rooms at the end of the line of 5 on each side of a wide walk space. One got the morning sun and looked out on green/yellow bushes, the other had plenty of light and looked out over the driveway at a paddock of yellow/green bushy stuff with houses beyond that. My cup of tea for sure. So here I am. I forgot to mention that outside the main room is a wide paves area with a seat and small table. I t now has a picnic set of 2 chairs and i round glass table, great for stitching at.
I am still finding my way around this huge complex of over 50 rooms but have yet to get involved with any of the craft/knitting etc groups. That will happen one day.
Also on the plus side I had the idea of a week back home to finally get to grips with the remaining stuff still there and maybe even sort out the 6ft 2 door cupboard with 2 long drawer in the bottom . I suspect that will happen later in the year. In the meantime I spend part of Wednesdays back home, spend time with Tuppy (who would hate being confined here) and brining back the stuff I will need now or in the immediate future.
Meanwhile Jenny & Phil have more freedom especially now that they have a small caravan and go away over the long weekends etc without worrying about me at home alone with just Tuppy - the ever growing dogs go with them on their jaunts into the countryside.
So that brings you up to date with the aging old body of mine.
Thank you for reading this saga.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Steam.Jo

Re: An Update On My Doings

Post by Steam.Jo »

Pleased to hear you have made your decision Sally and they could find a big enough room for you and your stash :wink: I hope they do have a stitching group it will be a great way to get to know your new friends and neighbours. :)

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Strikes me that you are being very wise. That you can come and go to sort your home out, and that there's a trial period is very important, I think.Less to worry about for you and also (as you say) for Jenny & Phil. I hope you are very, very happy and content there.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:30 am Strikes me that you are being very wise. That you can come and go to sort your home out, and that there's a trial period is very important, I think.Less to worry about for you and also (as you say) for Jenny & Phil. I hope you are very, very happy and content there.
I agree completely and am very glad to hear that you feel comfortable in your new home. It sounds like the perfect situation for you and hope you have many years left to enjoy it.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Roland

Post by Roland »

Glad you are settling in nicely. It sounds like a wonderful place.
fccs

Post by fccs »

You are very wise to make the move now, while it's your personal choice as opposed to moving when it become necessary. It sounds like your new home is very good for you, which is fantastic, and you still get to go back and see Tuppy. I assume Jenny and Phil will take Tuppy with them when they move? Are you allowed to have pets in your new place?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thank you all for your kind comments. I totally agree it is a great place to be with a friendly staff and I can join in with whatever is happening or not.
Debbie, we can have pets here, but there is no way Tuppy would cope with it. He is also a BIG cat and no way would we both fit the bed. He is happy with Jenny & Phil and their newish almost full dog sized youngsters. He largely ignores them and if they get to close he bats them one.
There used to be a stitching group here but it folded recently. We will see what happens down the way a bit.

WIPS
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It sounds like you've found just the right place Sally! And I have a feeling that stitching group may re-emerge at some point... :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

So pleased for you!
It's always going to be an important decision finding somewhere suitable ... you appear have found a home that suits you perfectly. :D
You say that you have the freedom to join in whenever as well as having your own privacy. That's Most Important too! :wink:
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

It sounds like you have made your decision Sally. :)

I am so pleased it is right for you and the staff are friendly and kind. :)

I am sure there will be things you can join in with as time goes by and you may be able to start up the stitching/craft group yourself in a few more weeks. :wink:

It sounds like it was worth the time to get to know the place before making the big decision, I am so pleased for you to find somewhere you are comfortable and relaxed, with the reassurance of the staff being close by if needed.

I hope you enjoy your new home for many many years to come.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thank you all for your positive replies. Of course as always there are a few problems still to sort out but it will happen in due course. :)

WIPS
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

squirrel's senior stitchers?
fccs

Post by fccs »

Serinde wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:36 am squirrel's senior stitchers?
Love it. I’m a senior - can i be an honorary member?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Me too!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Of course you may come in seniors need to be together sometimes. :D :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:

WIPS
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

And, of course and especially for Americans, perhaps, there's the notion of a "senior" as being the top of the school, the upperclassman (person?), the pinnacle of achievement. :dance:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

fccs wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:09 pm
Serinde wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:36 am squirrel's senior stitchers?
Love it. I’m a senior - can i be an honorary member?
Excellent Idea.. :airplane: on my way!! :lol:
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Can I come too, I'll bring the :tea: and :cake:

Oh, and is there room for the Magic Bench?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Ir would b great to have you here and there is always room for the magic bench. :lol: :whoop: :whoop:

WIPS
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I'm so happy that things are working out for you, Sally. It sounds like a wonderful place and I wouldn't mind joining the others as well :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs