Jo's stitching 2022

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Steam.Jo

Re: Jo's stitching 2022

Post by Steam.Jo »

Having finished putting in the outside frame I decided to put the first couple of horizontal row bars. The first was in herringbone stitch:

The chart of how to do it shows a pattern that is only one full cross stitch high, the chart shows the pattern should be two. So I unpicked it :anotherfrog: And repeated it as shown on TW's original show piece as 2 full crosses high:

There is also a row of three sided stitch, which the instructions say repeat each line to give two threads side by side but the original TW piece only shows one thread so that is what I have done:

To avoid scrolling I then moved on to do the large diamond pattern in the boarder. Again the chart showing how to do the stitch and the original TW piece differ. I initially did as per the instructions and stitched into the same holes as the diamond edge pattern but took that out :anotherfrog: and ignored the chart and made my diamonds so that the thread goes down one hole back from the outer pattern's thread:

Why do I get the idea this is going to be one of those pieces :roll:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

You could look at it as a challenge 🤷‍♀️. is this from a kit? I would contact the manufacturer about the difference between the stitch instructions and the chart and the picture of TW’s work. I think a less experienced stitcher than you would be having a lot of difficulty with this. At the least the instructions could mention that the stitch directions are generic and there could be variations s in the specific project.

What you are doing is looking beautiful.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Wow!
Some chart instructions are difficult to interpret and often don't look like the finished picture. :tizzy:
So, what you are doing is perfect...and makes your sampler more personal. :applesauce:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

rcperryls wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:00 pm You could look at it as a challenge 🤷‍♀️. is this from a kit? I would contact the manufacturer about the difference between the stitch instructions and the chart and the picture of TW’s work. I think a less experienced stitcher than you would be having a lot of difficulty with this. At the least the instructions could mention that the stitch directions are generic and there could be variations s in the specific project.
Yes this it is a kit. Just Cross Stitch did it as a kit back in 1994. Since then the chart has been available in TW's sampler book.

If it was not a challenge I would soon get bored. I am documenting the "features", and their solutions, for anyone else who may wish to do one in the future. :)

Jo

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Not "bugs", then...? :lol: :lol:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I don't want any bugs near my stitching, especially moths :shock:

The Third and fourth separating rows were easy but the final one made up for it :doh: Having got to the middle I realised I had done the top half of the knitting stitch the wrong way round:

I felt a bit better when I realised the row was half a stitch too high. :anotherfrog: So this time I decided I would start in the middle and work out. To find the end of the row was in the wrong place :doh:

Did I mention that the two charts I have for the Harvest sampler shows this stitch in two different forms:

Finally I also noticed on the picture of the finished piece that the centre of the pattern is offset by one stich: :roll:

Onward :)

Jo

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

One of the first big projects I stitched was the TW Fantasy Sampler. I knew almost nothing about cross stitching but dived head in. I cannot begin to imagine how hard it would have been if I had had directions like that to follow. This was over 25 years ago. I bought the chart at a Needle Shop (which I still miss dreadfully. There is nothing but big box stores here now) and I don't remember any problems with instructions. The sampler still hangs on my dining room wall. I think you are doing an amazing job with this and I have no doubt whatsoever that you are stitching a masterpiece.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Wow the TW Fantasy Sampler :wub: You will have to post a picture of it Carole.

I have completed the stitching for the small leave row and started on the apple row:

The first thing that really struck me was how much more colourful my piece is than TW's original:

I am guessing that when they photographed their piece the colours were washed out by the lighting.

The small leave row still has some platinum beads to add to it but I am leaving those to the end. I was also struck how the original piece has distinct holes in the diamond pattern around the edge. Having looked at other people's stitching of the "diamond eyelets" some leave holes and others don't. I am in the latter group :wink:

Jo

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Oh my, you're having your work cut out for you there - :applesauce: :applesauce: for persevering and getting it to look beautiful!

Speaking from the point of view of someone who draws stitch diagrams and writes stitch descriptions/instructions, because some stitches can be done on different scales (over one, over two etc) or at different angles (the arms of fly stitch can be quite close together or wider apart, it's still both fly stitch), and plenty of other variations, you could end up drawing four or five or six diagrams for a single stitch. What I tend to do is mention in the description something like "the diagram shows this stitch over one, but it can be worked over more fabric threads; refer to the chart to see what size is required in this design".

I'd be interested to know whether that would work (be less confusing and frustrating) for you from a user point of view?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I have just completed the Apple row:

Not sure about the colour they look a bit more like the colour of pears

Jo

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: The color may not be "apple" but it certainly fits in with the color scheme of the whole piece. Beautifully done and you are making great progress!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

They are very subtle apples :-D - and they look great!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Roland

Post by Roland »

This is beautiful. Many of those stitches I don’t think I’ve done.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Beautiful, and I love the subtle apples.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm just catching up. :D

I love the subtle colours of this splendid sampler. Plenty of diverse stitching to keep up the interest which doesn't always happen in some big samplers. :dance:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I started on the Serpentine rows:

Only to find of the three different instructions for the big pink star on the chart I chose the wrong one :tantrum: I could have ignored it but it is supposed to be another of those holey stitches and I have done a diamond stitch so it will need to be removed :ribbit:

I have returned to my Fall Fairy in frustration

Jo

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:( for the instructions that have come with this chart. The only time I can ever remember seeing more than one set of instructions for the same area in a chart, is when you are meant to choose the one you want to stitch. Did you choose one you didn't mean to or were the instructions not clear? It looks fine, but if it isn't what you want then taking a break and going to a different project before calling Mr :ribbit: in, makes a lot of sense to me.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Roland

Post by Roland »

How frustrating.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I still have not removed the offending stitches but have returned to my Fall Fairy:

As you can see I have made it all the way across the bottom (yes a couple of stitches I also noticed were still missing).

On top of the piece are my three prickers. Two come from I think they call them spot care kits these are not bad to use, a little thin in the hand so possibly they need sleeving and they are made of aluminium so very light. The third is a jewellers pin vice with a sewing needle in the end. Of the three the jeweller's pin vice seems to be the nicest to use.

I need to use prickers because the piece is being stitched on Aida rather than evenweave and I am using quarter and half stitches so I have to poke a hole through the centre of the tough part of the fabric. And it really is tough because I would swear this is a Chinese piece of Aida.

Jo

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Inventive solution to the problem.