2022 Quick Daily Posts

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: 2022 Quick Daily Posts

Post by richardandtracy »

Thank you all for your thoughts. FIL is hanging on, but he can't seem to swallow (we're told this happens with severe dementia as the body's control mechanisms break down) and he's now on nil by mouth. If nothing else fails in his body, dehydration will kill him in the next day or two.

It's horrible, actually. If you treated a cat or dog like this, you'd be rightly prosecuted for cruelty. He didn't seem in distress when we saw him 20 mins ago, but you feel it's not right. He can't survive, but nothing is being done (apart from pain killers) to help, he has effectively had treatment withdrawn. Rather amusingly, he partially awoke while we were there, dropped an 'f-bomb' while his eyes were shut and then descended into unconsciousness again. He hasn't really been aware of anything for the last couple of days.

I suspect in this case a problem shared is one doubled, so I will shut up about it, with just a statement when the inevitable happens. We have done most of our grieving for him already. He's not been present for quite a while, and it's more the process that's distressing.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Problems shared, even as difficult as these, are still problems lessened, anyway. However, understand totally.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Richard and Tracy,

So sorry you are going through this. {{{hugs}}}
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I have just been to a fabulous concert, the last of the autumn series in a church about 10 miles "up country". Ensemble Hersperi -- baroque violin, baroque cello, recorder(s) and harpsichord -- couldn't have been four more enthusiastic and talented musicians. They clearly enjoyed playing together, were very engaged with each other while performing, and excellent musicians to begin with. Telemann, Handel, Graun (whom I didn't know) and Scottish composer James Oswald. Altogether, a life-enhancing experience. :dance:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I love those sort of musician events :D

We had a small group come along to the church in the next village and half way through one of the villagers stood up and started singing along. I did not know at the time (but quickly realised) she is a professional opera singer. It was breath taking and the musicians also seemed to be rather over whelmed by the effect.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
richardandtracy

It can be very lovely to go to something like that.

A couple of the members of the Cantiana Choir (https://www.facebook.com/CantianaChoir/) are members of Tracy's church and they do concerts on occasion in the church.

I always thought the name 'Cantiana' was really clever. The Latin name for people from Kent was the Cantii. Latin for 'I sing' is 'canto', and iirc the latin future pluperfect word ending for 'we shall have' is -iana, so I like to think the Latin for 'We shall have been singing' is Cantiana. If it is, the one word specifies both location and what they do too.

I am not a great lover of singing, much preferring electric guitar solos unspoiled by any vocalist (and in the case of many rock singers, it's far better that they shut up), but even I appreciate that Cantiana are very good at what they do. Hearing the echoes off an acoustically interesting church (up to 2 second reverb at some frequencies) added a great deal to the singing.

Regards,

Richard
Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Cross stitcher's back.
Now a recognised condition - pain in lower back, radiating into groin.
Brought on by stitching in one position for extended periods.
I'm now getting over this, with help of strong painkillers -it was actually pretty bad.
So, fellow stitchers - beware.
Akin to RSI, I imagine.
The things we do, for our past time. :cry: :applesauce:
But, the good news - my GP said I could hand over all the household work to my wife. Haha, chance would be a fine thing!!
WIP: Van Gogh "Fishing Boats", Another Bayeux scene
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Look after yourself.

I find most embroidery stands are too short and have had to add spacers underneath to avoid getting back ache.

Jo

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sojourner, there is the usual physio waiting for you in St Cross Stitchers, directly to the right of the revolving doors at the Stash & Grab (where internal medication is always available).
Roland

Post by Roland »

Is Royal Mail on strike?

I’ve ordered a few things that are coming from England (a Christmas tree top and some thread) and they are not moving at all. And a few tweets I’ve seen made me wonder if they are doing a slow-down or something.
mags

Post by mags »

Yes they have been on various dates and on the following dates too :roll:

Thursday, December 1
Friday, December 9
Sunday, December 11
Wednesday, December 14
Thursday, December 15
Friday, December 23
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Roland

Post by Roland »

Thank you.
Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Pricing one's work.
I have a small problem, or more a dilemma- a good friend wishes to buy 1 or more of my Bayeux stitchings. She won't take them FOC as a gift, and she is quite well off, able to pay a reasonable price. I could do with a few quid right now so I've estimated a very rough stitching time at around 250 hours each one, and obviously can't charge anything like a "going rate". I've seen some stitching advertised on etsy at ridiculous prices - would anyone pay over £800 for a simple, mostly words - picture? The Bayeux pics are on 32ct linen, so with spaces say an average 180 stiches per square inch.
I'm thinking to ask £1.00 per square inch- any thoughts?
Edit - on these particular pictures there's a ton of backstitching/outlining so probably far more than 250 hours....
Last edited by Sojourner on Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardandtracy

I think it'd be worthwhile discussing your dilemma with your customer too. Don't want to frighten her off, but give her an idea of the amount of effort that goes into it.

Work out how much the materials cost, and use that as a starting point for the discussions. £1/in^2 sounds quite low, but if she's s friend.. Entirely up to you, but I think that should be on top of the materials.
I can sometimes - when in the zone and motoring - get up to 100 stitches an hour, so even at £1 per hour, that'd be £1.80/in^2.

Regards,

Richard.
Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Thanks, Richard - yes, the charts alone were about £15 each, from France, and the linen is not cheap, and although only 7 colours used,
it all mounts up.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I would aim to get only my materials costs back so I was not out of pocket. If it is framed then the framing costs should also be included.

Jo

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I would definitely make sure that the costs of materials was covered. After that, I agree with Richard that you need to talk with her about the hours involved. She probably doesn't understand the amount of time involved in stitching and you should be able to come up with something that sounds reasonable to you both. That is the best compliment ever about the quality of your stitching.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

A difficult one that! :thinks:

Yes to getting the cost of materials and frame if it's already framed. As for time in the making, if it's a good friend I'm sure that you will be able to come to an agreeable solution.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Don't sell yourself short is all I'll say. A real chat about the number of hours it takes to stitch a piece like that is eye-opening to non-stitchers.

You could, of course, offer to give her the designs and teach her to stitch the piece herself... :D
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:55 pm Don't sell yourself short is all I'll say. A real chat about the number of hours it takes to stitch a piece like that is eye-opening to non-stitchers.
Yes, they generally have no idea of the time involved.
You could, of course, offer to give her the designs and teach her to stitch the piece herself... :D
And then you'd hav another stitching friend! Win-win :D
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page