Please Help

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rosey1

Please Help

Post by rosey1 »

I have a cross stitch I'm gonna be doing but confused on the floss and why some are separate from the ones on the card. Also is it because they are meant for backstitch and is that's why on chart it has some with 3 threads and 2 threads and 1 thread? I know the 3 threads will be for crosses.

Hope it's ok to post as removed brand name.
Steam.Jo

Re: Please Help

Post by Steam.Jo »

Hi Rosey,

Let's start at the top: On your thread card the holes are staggered left and right. If you notice so are the numbers on the left these are to indicate which holes relate to which thread number. The next column of numbers lets you know how many meters of each thread you should have in each hole. In my opinion threads of 1m long are rather long for working with :shock:

The extra skeins of thread: These are the same thread colours as on your thread card but because you need lots of those colours they would over fill the holes so they have provided them separately so you can cut them (to the lengths you like working with :wink: ) when you run out of that colour.

The chart key: this is confusing as it shows lots of different ways of using one colour. What I do is on my thread card I have columns with the symbols on it. One card is for half stitch , the next for full cross stitch and the final one for back stitch .

If that is not confusing enough you then have split threads where one strand in two different colours are brought together and used as a single strand. One pair for cross stitch and the other for half cross stitch.

I find the cards they provide you with with the threads through them not wide enough to mark more than two columns so I scan the chart symbol cards and make up a new thread card and add the threads as I start using them. I'll go see if I can find one I have done this with

Jo
Last edited by Steam.Jo on Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I didn't find what I thought I would but I will show you what I am doing on my Brilliant butterfly. This uses the same thread for multiple stitches :doh: so I have made up separate cards with the chart symbol on them:

The first column is the symbol, the second the number of threads. I have another card for the mixed strands for doing full cross stitch but I try to only keep the mixed pairs of thread on that one.

I picked up a 8mm single hole punch to make up my own cards using what ever cardboard I had to hand (currently the white card labels from my new bedsheets :roll: ) with a scanned/printed copy of the symbol key for the chart stuck on the piece of card.

I hope that is clear. Please ask if you need a better description.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
rosey1

Post by rosey1 »

This is brilliant advice so thank you so much. Yeah its confusing but hopefully I'll manage. I may do same as what you have done also as would be easier. :D