Lowery stand --it's here YAY!!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

karen4bells

Lowery stand --it's here YAY!!!

Post by karen4bells »

I am considering purchasing a Lowery stand in the near future, and would love any recommendations that anyone can offer. I usually work with a snaps, and need to know what the best options for add one to the standard frame, if any, would be. Also where would it be the best place to purchase from?? Thanks in advance!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Lowery stand

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've never used mine with a snap frame, but I've thrown pretty much everything else at it including a Millennium frame (for which admittedly it needs a bit of support at the other end). Mine is a side clamp, and I have heard people say a corner clamp is a good idea with chunky frames like snaps, but I cannot comment on that from experience.
I seem to remember I bought mine from Sew & So (sigh) but I was looking for one recently (thinking that two Lowerys might work for a larger slate frame) and found one for less than £85 at Marie's Cross Stitch which was the best deal I could find, and they are an established business.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

Ah, I forgot you're across the pond :-( - sorry, I don't know what the best source would be then
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I bought my Lowery Stand several years ago and as crazy as it sounds, I also bought it and Sew & So, because it was the least expensive, including shipping than anything else we could find. ( I say we, because Parksfarm (Dana) and I were looking at the same time) I would check to see if that still is true. It was a significant amount of money at the time. I have used it with q-snaps and hoops. Haven't used it much lately, but have been thinking about going back to it. I'm not sure why I stopped except that it had something to do with a cat. Laverne was always in my lap which made getting to the back fairly difficult. I did love not having to hold the hoop or q-snap in my hands.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Sew & So, of course, no longer exists :-( - but the cheapest option I found at Marie's Cross Stitch might similarly work for the US, I didn't check their postage abroad. Bear in mind the VAT would be taken off, but you would probably have to pay import duties etc when it comes into your country.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Thanks Carole and Mabel!! I found a U.S. site that as it for $149 before a 15% discount and shipping is free. The site is lovecrafts.com I am not familiar with them but I think they are part of the company that bought part of sewandso? Has anyone from the forum bought from them?? I am so cautious!! I could buy direct from the Lowery stand company for about The same but don't seem to take PayPal :doh:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This is what I was just getting ready to post:

Out of curiosity I just looked and Lovecrafts, which I think is the company that bought Sew & So?, still sells Lowery stands and accessories and at a much lower cost than Amazon. I didn't look at any other suppliers. I was also surprised that it doesn't seem to cost much more than it did when I got mine.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:00 pm This is what I was just getting ready to post:

Out of curiosity I just looked and Lovecrafts, which I think is the company that bought Sew & So?, still sells Lowery stands and accessories and at a much lower cost than Amazon. I didn't look at any other suppliers. I was also surprised that it doesn't seem to cost much more than it did when I got mine.

Carole
:dance:
Lol, that is where I had found too Carole. :D in fact, I just posted right above your post, great minds! Are you familiar at all with them, I am always so cautious :oops:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

I did a bit of comparing of the two places mentioned so far; the Marie's Cross Stitch link is in my previous post and it is by far the cheapest BUT their postage to the US is horrendous and for this type of order would add another £40 :-(

On the other hand, the one on Lovecraft (also silver-grey with side clamp) is £99, and because that's more than $60 shipping is free, so in total a better deal. I don't know how that compares to anything you can find in the US itself.

I haven't ordered from Lovecraft but I haven't heard anything detrimental about them.
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I haven' used them but haven't heard anything bad about them. Since they take PayPal (my first choice also when I can. Hate giving credit card number directly to websites these days) I'd probably go there. I know what you mean about being cautious of a new vendor.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:23 pm I haven' used them but haven't heard anything bad about them. Since they take PayPal (my first choice also when I can. Hate giving credit card number directly to websites these days) I'd probably go there. I know what you mean about being cautious of a new vendor.

Carole
Thanks again to both of you!! I am just about 100% sure that I will order from Lovecraft. I had someone on Facebook also suggest them, she has actually purchased one from them, just waiting to see what her experience with them was. For instance, how long it took etc. :lol:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've ordered from LoveCraft and my experience with them is good -- the problem lies with their delivery partner (Hermes, in the UK) who are truly useless.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Serinde wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:01 pm I've ordered from LoveCraft and my experience with them is good -- the problem lies with their delivery partner (Hermes, in the UK) who are truly useless.
I will likely order one from them, but I will wait until this Elsa storm passes by!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:01 pm I've ordered from LoveCraft and my experience with them is good -- the problem lies with their delivery partner (Hermes, in the UK) who are truly useless.
Maybe in your area Hermes is bad but our experience with them is that the local courier is the most reliable. Our post code covers about 20 cottages with similar names and often parcels delivery from other companies goes astray. Hermes never as she lives locally. :whoop:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

My Hermes driver "Adrian" is very reliable and he is a lovely man. During lockdown when I was on my own for months on end he always had the time for a quick social chat and I have had regular updates on his wife "Claire"s slow recovery from long Covid.

Living in a village where we do not have named roads or house numbers and there are 100+ cottages spread over the common, all down dirt tracks, you need someone with local knowledge. He always warns me if he is off on holiday because they will put on a relief driver who can take days to find the house :doh:

Don't get me on DHL or UPS and how often they fail to deliver and their websites when you try to chase a parcel :tantrum: Hermes every time for me.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I have ordered my Lowery Stand!! I checked Lovecrafts site, and saw it was On sale, for $126.65 and I got a first time purchase discount code for 15% off, soooo I decided it was a good time to order. $107.65, with free shipping, seemed too good to pass up!! Now to wait for it to ship, and arrive!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Re: Lowery stand *ordered!!*

Woohooo!!!!!! Hope it arrives soon. Enjoy!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That's wonderful news. I hope it makes it soon, and that you have years of pleasure from using it. :dance:

@Jo & WW: Glad it's not Hermes in general! I had a package delivered to a house number on Main St, which is about a quarter mile difference (and not even the same number), and we have numbers and names of houses here! :? And then another one delivered a couple of door down, which happens to be the start of the post code area. The driver took a picture (as they do these days) and sent it to my email, but it wasn't MY door (though that handily told me where it actually was!). Luckily, I knew the people so could easily retrieve the packages.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am That's wonderful news. I hope it makes it soon, and that you have years of pleasure from using it. :dance:

@Jo & WW: Glad it's not Hermes in general! I had a package delivered to a house number on Main St, which is about a quarter mile difference (and not even the same number), and we have numbers and names of houses here! :? And then another one delivered a couple of door down, which happens to be the start of the post code area. The driver took a picture (as they do these days) and sent it to my email, but it wasn't MY door (though that handily told me where it actually was!). Luckily, I knew the people so could easily retrieve the packages.

We have the same problem with couriers taking photos! All the 'Estate Cottages' here have the same colour Green Doors as well as similar names.
The most annoying thing is that the Courier drivers change regularly...so get one trained and another takes over!
One driver tried to deliver a parcel Not destined for us and when we pointed out his error and gave him directions to the Correct Cottage his reply was "I might get lost so can you take it for me?" :shock: :doh:

In about 8 weeks time we move to our New Build Bungalow.....That will give the Couriers another problem if the New Address doesn't exist in the Post Office Records! :tizzy:
Mabel Figworthy

All this talk about Lowery stands makes me think that perhaps I do need that second stand to help with slate frames and to use in other places around the house....
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page