Serinde's 2021 Stitching Adventures 5 Dec 2021

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Serinde

Serinde's 2021 Stitching Adventures 5 Dec 2021

Post by Serinde »

Well, this is a late start! But I've now finished 9 pages (of 12) of the Sublime Stitches design by Elizabeth Almond. The darning will flatten out once it's stretched out (I hope...). I've also discovered that pulled work isn't my favourite. But useful to have given it a go. the square of pulled work (leaf stitch) has a whipped back stitch border, which is very effective: variegated thread underneath, ecru pearl 12 on top. Looks like a candy cane.

rcperryls

Re: Serinde's 2021 Stitching Adventures

Post by rcperryls »

This is so beautiful and you are making lovely progress. I am lookig forward to the next page you stitch!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

That is amazing! So beautiful...a Real Sampler! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a beautiful piece of work, and so many interesting things to try out! What a great way of finding out whether you like something and would do it again, or not. The whipped border is very effective - it's such a useful and versatile technique, you can create all sorts of interesting effects (I'm about to try fluffy whipping on a cloud)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a fascinating variety of colour and stitches. It must have taken ages and ages to get that far Serinde. Totally Amazing. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

@Squirrel, judging from the dates of the pictures I've taken, I've been working on this on and off since 2018... end's in sight, though.

@Mabel: There are quite a few patterns that have surprised me, and I can definitely imagine using again. One also gets pretty good at breaking down blackwork patterns to make them easier to stitch, although a few of them can be done reversibly.
Sandz27

Post by Sandz27 »

That's ever so pretty :)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Heaven's to Murgatroyd!! I've run out of DMC 310! :shock: I didn't think that was actually possible. Or legal. Luckily I have some Anchor 403... and black is, eh, black. :oops: :oops:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I don't think it is legal, but not not a felony as long as you have Anchor 403. In the states, anyway, that is probably more of a misdemeanor. I do think you are required to include 310 (one skein minimum) whenever you replenish your stash. I have plenty of 310 because I have mostly switched to Anchor 403 since I think it is a little bit (very little) thicker than DMC.

I would send you all but one skein that I have, but the postage alone right now would probably be enough to pay for a lifetime supply. :lol:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

It may just be legal, but it's the "possible" bit that stymies me :-)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Roland

Post by Roland »

Serinde wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:41 pm Heaven's to Murgatroyd!! I've run out of DMC 310! :shock: I didn't think that was actually possible. Or legal. Luckily I have some Anchor 403... and black is, eh, black. :oops: :oops:
I don’t know.....that’s what my mom thought about white.
Serinde

Re: Serinde's 2021 Stitching Adventures 11 April 2021

Post by Serinde »

Ok. Here's the start of my first update to do with a Textile Artist workshop.

My tutor is Joetta Maue, and the challenge is to stitch a piece from a photograph, using simple stitches and varying weights of threads to add depth and detail. In her introduction, she commented that she was an artist and not a stitcher, and, boy, she's telling the truth! The RHS would faint dead away! But I know how to start and stop without using a knot and that sort of good stuff, so all's well.

I chose a photo, dithered about with the scanner and printer, went to find my lightbox... and discovered Fergus. Now, many of you might remember Fergus and it's perfectly clear that he's the one I'm going to practice upon, since he's already been traced out onto fabric (even if not quite the way the tutor suggested).

Mabel Figworthy

Go Fergus! Looking forward to seeing what you will do with him. Your remark about her stitching made me laugh, at least in part because I don't know that the Royal Horticultural Society minds about knots, and because I made that very same mix-up myself recently, leading DH to ask whether I was embroidering flowers... :lol:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Ha! RSN! Thanks Mabel (and Mr Mabel). That'll teach me to use abbreviations.

If you are wondering about the faint pencil marks, Fergus actually has a forked beard which I'll probably put in now. He really is an unsavoury character. :lol:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

That is going to be so interesting wo watch as it comes to life under your needle and thread. Looking forward to your updates. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 pm Ha! RSN! Thanks Mabel (and Mr Mabel). That'll teach me to use abbreviations.

If you are wondering about the faint pencil marks, Fergus actually has a forked beard which I'll probably put in now. He really is an unsavoury character. :lol:
:lol:
He looks an ideal subject to try out your new skills!
You can't make him look more "unsavoury" as you say he is! :roll:
The RHS will be Proud of you!!
@rotfl: :wink:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

This is going to be so much fun to watch develop. RHS and RSN should both be proud of you!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Just wish I could find my fabric pens and, indeed, the fabric I used! No time at the moment, though!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Fergus has pleaded with me to rethink. He’s of the opinion he’s worth more than split and back stitch, and had been promised he’d be a proper portrait. He’s right, of course. Plus I felt that I wasn’t really entering into the spirit of this workshop, not using a modern photo (medieval manuscripts really don’t count). So he’s been given a reprieve.

However, this has sent me down another rabbit hole. I know what picture I’ll use, but it’s supposed to be done on old bit of household linen. So I’ve been looking for an orphan to use... and have re-discovered a box of odd bits sent to me by my niece about 20 years ago. These are the remnants of wedding linen given to her mother from our grandmother. Trouble is, it’s lovely stuff, if slightly odd (vintage Italian or Madeiran hand-stitched placemats and napkins; lovely stitched linen guest towels; Battenberg lace...) All needing cleaned. Oh help.

So the new piece will be stitched on new linen. Probably linen-look cotton I have in my stash from Higgs & Higgs (health warning...)
Mabel Figworthy

Ooooh pictures of the antique linens please?

Fergus will be so pleased that he gets the proper treatment some time in the future.

H&H linen-look cotton is lovely, but several shades appear to have been discontinued :-( - I'm not sure how long the line will last so you may want to stock up!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page