Serinde's 2021 Stitching Adventures 5 Dec 2021

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Serinde

Re: Serinde's 2021 Stitching Adventures 15 April 2021

Post by Serinde »

Just for you, Mabel. All of these are in a pre-washed state. They all sport bits of yellowing and rust stains (how?) The vintage Italian or Madeiran hand-stitched placemats (12) and napkins(4 -- where are the others?), and old-fashioned cotton guest hand towels (before the advent of loop-pile towels with which we are all familiar. I'm rather in love with the mint green geometric one and the pink seashell is definitely OTT. The smaller blue and pink set have lovely hand embroidered drawn thread work, while the pink and white ones with the grey-blue leaves are appliqué and trailing (colour in image bad). My grandmother just, well, bought things because she could. I'm fairly sure that the little appliqué towels were never used.

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

How wonderful these are! The placemat and napkin are so elegant. I would guess over the years the napkins could get badly stained and maybe tossed out? I think its amazing you still have 12.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Carole, there are more of all sorts of things (not photographed yet) that I have no idea about. Small, beautifully stitched (quite a lot of Belgian linen) things. Usually multiples. What were they used for?

You'll laugh though: The Belgian linen was bought heaven only knows when at "The Linen Shop" in Marshall Field's!! I suspect most of the rest are from the same place. Fields used to sell antiques of all sorts, and my grandmother bought up a lot of them!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

All so beautiful!
What a collection
My friend in France always hunts around in the 'Brocant' sales ' in the summer. She buys Linen Sheets which are often embroidered and have 'cut-work' edgings. She uses them on her own and guest beds until they become totally worn out. Then she cuts off the edges which are still usable and either makes pillow cases from them.
I have been given some of the thinner worn pieces to use for surface embroidery....sadly those pieces have stayed in France with the rest of my stuff :cry:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Love it. Way off topic but when we would take the Elevated/Subway to downtown Chicago the stop we got off the train was in Field's basement. The last time I was there was year's ago with my DH. It was also the last week that they kept the Field's name as Marshall Field had sold the stores to Macy's and it just sad. My friends and I did a fair amount of "window shopping" at Field's. They also had the most amazing Christmas decorated windows when I was little. I haven't heard about "The Linen Shop" for years. Looking forward to seeing what other treasures you discover. Fancy linen handkerchiefs were often a hot item for gifts, if I remember correctly.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

They sure were, and I'm still using quite a few of them. (Found another -- unused -- amongst this stash, too. It's now washed and awaiting ironing.) I loved going into Fields... I have a vague memory of being taken to the Walnut Room...

I did an experimental short delicate wash of other napkins with a proprietary liquid soap for silk. Didn't make much difference. So -- as these are very study linen -- I think we are off to try a soak with bi-carb...

Meanwhile here are the smalls: both 8inches by 5.5 inches. Any idea what they are for?

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a marvellous collection! Thank you for sharing them. Did she work any of it herself or were they all from antique shops?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Don't know if this website: VTG MARSHALL FIELD & CO will help you identify some of your pieces. It might have other vintage linens, not just from Field's and other vintage items.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I looked at this site, and it's mostly handkerchiefs -- some very pretty indeed. So the mystery continues.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Perhaps the "smalls" were for genteel dabbing of the lips whilst eating, instead of lifting the napkin off ones lap? :thinks:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:01 pm What a marvellous collection! Thank you for sharing them. Did she work any of it herself or were they all from antique shops?
As far as I'm aware, none of these table linens were made by my grandmother. Family legend has it that she was an excellent needlewoman (made all my grandfather's shirts before off-the-peg was common) known for her tiny stitches. By the time I was aware of things, she seemed only to be responsible for hems. Embroidery for pleasure didn't figure largely, I don't think.
Serinde

Re: Serinde's 2021 Stitching Adventures 16 June 2021

Post by Serinde »

Finally! The stitching is complete. Only the double 4-sided stitch border to do. (If I can remember how...)

Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Great work well done. So neat and beautiful. :applesauce:
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:39 am Finally! The stitching is complete. Only the double 4-sided stitch border to do. (If I can remember how...)
Have a look at Mary Hickmott again? I've used her instructions for that.

That 'Sampler' is amazing! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Well done! :whoop: :whoop:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

That is impressive :applesauce:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

wendywombat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:37 am
Serinde wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:39 am Finally! The stitching is complete. Only the double 4-sided stitch border to do. (If I can remember how...)
Have a look at Mary Hickmott again? I've used her instructions for that.

That 'Sampler' is amazing! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Well done! :whoop: :whoop:
I knew she'd done it, but you don't remember where to find it offhand?
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I thought it was in her Hardanger books.
I found her most helpful recently when seeking Gardenie Fabric.
Perhaps sending her an email?
I'll send you a P/M with her details.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Absolutely exquisite ! I love this and you have done a perfectly perfect job!!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

WOW :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: Totally and absolutely fabulous. Well Done
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thanks, all. Just didn't want anyone thinking that I wasn't getting on with any stitching. I've found a few motifs that need a bit of help -- being snagged under a hoop, but it won't take long to fix. I'm having a think about the edge, partly because only the bottom ends on the same thread all the way across. I refuse to do any more arithmetic on holiday than absolutely necessary. I will figure out where to start counting out the number of threads for the the border until later. Am also thinking about doing hemstitching all the way around...