Fabric substitutions?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kittie

Fabric substitutions?

Post by Kittie »

Just wondering if anyone has used other fabrics to stitch on besides Aida or evenweave? Would like to be able to go to local shops for large fabric cuts,but seems like no one sells bolts or yards of cross stitch fabrics anymore(only online) so just wondering if anyone knows of other fabrics that can be used for cross stitch? I see so many cross stitchers on various sites, I just don't understand why fabrics for cross stitching are not easily available in stores anymore😔😔😔
Steam.Jo

Re: Fabric substitutions?

Post by Steam.Jo »

You are lucky to have any local shops open - ours are all closed due to lockdown. Our local shop does do a bolt of white 14 count Aida but other colours are small pieces in packets.

To do counted cross stitch you need a coarse fabric that you can see the threads: You may find a suitable linen but most are going to be too fine to see the threads. You can of course embroider on any fabric :)

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Buying embroidery fabric online is about the only thing I purchase without misgivings as to what I'm actually going to receive, although for special colours, etc., I try to buy only enough for the project. As Jo says, you can embroider on just about anything you can get a needle through, but some fabrics are better than others. Over lockdown, I bought a bit of gingham to experiment with "chicken scratch" (see here). :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I guess it depends on where you live as to how accessible fabric is. I haven't had a local shop for years now so am limited to either the big chain hobby stores, which usually don't have the best selections, or to online ordering. I usually get the size fabric I need (or as close to it as possible), but have ordered large sizes in the past to cut to the size I need. And I've done some embroidery on pillow or sheet fabrics. Easily accessible (linen closet) and easy to cut to size.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

You can stitch on pretty much anything (Google "embroidered car" or "embroidered frying pan" and you get some interesting ideas...) and for uncounted work like freestyle embroidery an old pillowcase or sheet will do as Carole says, but for counted work (like cross stitch) you will need some sort of grid, unless you draw an outline on non-countable fabric and simply fill it in with crosses, which is another option (you can see it done on old printed table cloths).
If you have a favourite fabric it makes sense to buy in bulk so you can just cut the right size for your next project; I have a couple of metres of Hardanger fabric and 25ct Lugana forexample. If you're buying online from someone you haven't tried before, order a small piece first to see if you like their quality, then you can decide on buying to stock up if you wish.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Good point, Mabel, about quality, especially if you aren't buying a well-known brand like Zweigart.